Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**My review on the Flex Innovation Grounding Kit Review for Mz3 2.0/2.3**
Rating: 5/5
Price: $30-$50 from Flex Innovations compared to 100+ for buddy club/HKS grounding kits
Installation Time: 10-20mins
Tools:

Extra: Marine Brass Battery -, +, Terminals (AutoZone $4.00)

Ok onto the install!

1. Disconnect the negative/positive battery terminals completely. (If you use marine brass battery terminals if not just disconnect positive and zip-tie it somewhere down so that it doesn’t re-touch terminal.

2. Ok, so here is a general idea of how it is going to work, it consists of the letters A-F, starting from (A) thru (F) using the smallest grounding wires from small to big.

3. It is best that you separate the wires as the image shows below, as some may seem as the same size but obviously are longer, your kit should come already prepped as showed below.

4. Using wire one (shortest) you will connect it to the chassis at the bracket for the low pressure air conditioning line using the 10mm socket, then ground the other side onto the plate attached to the engine on top of the existing grounding point. (Pic below)

5. For the second smallest wire, you are first going to connect it as well on-top of connection “B” that should be touching the end of “wire 1”, and from that starting point at connection “B” you connect the end of it to fuel rail bolt “C”.

“WIRE 3” Connects to points “E” and “D” it is located on the side corner of the engine where there is another plate. Again there will be to wires connecting at this location so don’t tighten the bolt all the way yet. Point “D” is located on the driver said fuel rail mounting bolt. ****For 2.0L engines I models the connection point is different, the top right mount for the engine cover screws off from underneath, and there is a that you connect the ground wire thru and screw it back on tight)

“WIRE 4” When connecting wire 4 make sure you are connecting the end of the wire that has the larger sized terminal to point “E”

“WIRE 4 & 5” are routed through the side hole of the battery box and NOT the hole facing the front of the car. There are MUTIPLE large holes existing in the battery box. If they do not fit when you do this then you have put them thru the wrong hole in the battery box. If need be improvise and you’ll be fine.

FINAL STEP: In the next step you will remove and install the small nut for the negative battery terminal. Please be careful and don't connect the positive and negative battery terminals accidentally with a solid metal wrench. I used a rubber handled socket wrench and no extension bar. You may also use gloves to do this, once you have connected the terminals to the NEGATIVE PART OF THE BATTERY ground it to the bolt holding in your throttle body on the top right, once this is done go back and re-tighten everything up nicely.

If you took the cables off the battery than you re-set your ECU, which now your car will need to re-learn fuel maps, and may have a rough idle let it sit for about 5-10 min's to learn its idle point, please do not blame the grounding kit if your car acts like this just let it sit and it will adjust now your done enjoy!

My side notes after this install was done: Ok, well first off the reason I bought this grounding kit is because my 2004 2.0L sedan had a CEL with a code of p2188, which is running rich in idle. After some extensive research I found that 2004’s have a bad MAF ground wire. I read that the MAF ground wire runs thru ECU so I was to chicken to cut solder and reconnect. So a fellow member told me that a grounding kit can fix that problem if a short is the case, then a grounding kit will put everything on the same level, meaning everything will be grounded properly. So after I installed this I turn the car on and instantly the CEL turned off, at first I thought it was because I took the battery cables off and the ECU was re-thinking, but I did this many times in the past and it would always come right back up. In this case it didn’t, so I went and drove around the block and the throttle response was significantly better! The p2188 code symptoms’ were very sluggish on take off and would feel like some serious power loss; whenever I would shift it would pause in speed then continue. I have driven with the grounding kit now for 2 weeks and it has not come back and those symptoms’ are gone completely! The throttle is honestly very noticeable once this FLEX Innovation kit is installed. I highly recommend everyone to do this to their car, even without the code. A good ground on a vehicle is vital especially if you have a full kit that guarantees a great ground! I give flex innovations grounding kit a 5/5 for easy install and great quality!

·
Registered
12,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=coondogg link=topic=136832.msg2952776#msg2952776 date=1235266368]
When is the next group buy?
[/quote]

When you find me a few interested ill get you one.

Actually go to www.timotosports.com and you can get them @ discount price now :)

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
All the info is found on the flex-innovations.com website.

The melting temperature of the sleeve is about 500 degrees. My heat gun reaches 700 degrees and I was able to melt the sleeve after pro-longed contact.

There isn't really a spot that gets that hot in the engine except for the headers and turbo so keep them from touching those really hot parts and you will be fine.

The grounding kits are 8GA, the big3 kits are 4GA. This isn't imported cheap wire, but real copper with the right amount of circular mills/copper strands for 4 AWG / 8 AWG.

There is a group buy going on I started because some people asked for it.

Timotorsports will now be an official reseller of the flex innovations grounding kits. I am pretty sure that this group buy will be the last one I will host for grounding kits:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=137072.0

TImotorsports will be able to host group buys though and discount them in the future.

·
Registered
10,527 Posts
I have a question for you. Why is the Big 3 more expensive than the Grounding Kit? Seems odd, but maybe I'm missing something.

·
Registered
913 Posts
[quote author=Fiji Mazda3 link=topic=136832.msg2955011#msg2955011 date=1235369701]
I have a question for you. Why is the Big 3 more expensive than the Grounding Kit? Seems odd, but maybe I'm missing something.
[/quote]
I am not positive on their reason, but my guess would be that although the grounding kit has more wires, the big 3 is twice as thick as the 8awg wires. which means the wires are all more expensive to manuacture, especially this quality wire that is stranded correctly for a true 4awg wire. The sleeves are also more expensive because of the extra weaves to wrap the larger wires.

Just my input. correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Awesome review!

Anyways can the wire5 that goes from the negative terminal to the throttle body be shorter so it can go to the top-right screw vs in the instructions it goes to the top-left screw... I would have thought that would be a better choice...

But anyways... I just bought a black one from TImotorsports.com. $35 shipped is a great deal!

Sometimes shifting smoothly can be hard at times because of the delay of the rpms drop. I hope this can fix that problem and help with the throttle response! :p

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
The Big3 uses 4GA wire not 8ga so a lot more copper and sleeve with the thicker wire.

There's also a fuse and fuse holder as part of the Big3 kit.

The ring terminals are also bigger.

The sleeve on the Big3 kit is 3 strand braid, not single strand braid so more sleeve.

Interestingly enough, the wire lengths for them are about the same.

·
Registered
12,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ryuken,

Yes you can do it to the top right no need for wire to be shorter, I re-did mine and put it on the top right also to give it a more sleek look! It was funny I was retighting the connection with my wrench and I'm like hmm I wonder how good this connection is and like 10 seconds later I swing my wrench to much and hit the positive battery cable with the wrench and sparks fly everywhere along with a chip off my wrench..so at that point I was convinced I had a solid ground lol but yes great to hear you bought a kit, tell everyone about the "FI" kit its relle top notch quality! Timotorsports is a great guy to do business with I have personally, and know him personally!

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Yes I got it and the shipping was fast because it comes from california (HouRman) Anyways, I agree, the wires are top quality. They are the best I have seen. I just haven't had the time to install it... Yes I know it takes 10 mins or so but I've been pretty busy. Hey Josh, have you notice any difference with throttle response and rev hang?

·
Registered
12,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[quote author=ryukensfj link=topic=136832.msg2964492#msg2964492 date=1235708664]
Yes I got it and the shipping was fast because it comes from california (HouRman) Anyways, I agree, the wires are top quality. They are the best I have seen. I just haven't had the time to install it... Yes I know it takes 10 mins or so but I've been pretty busy. Hey Josh, have you notice any difference with throttle response and rev hang?
[/quote]

Considering my car had SERIOUS throttle response I noticed it BIG time right away, one way I tested it john, was before I I installed the Grounding kit I did 2 tests, the first on consist of letting the car idle and tapping gas pedal with my foot and seeing how delayed the response was, and how far rev's went. Where you REALLY notice it is in first gear when you take off, it can be typically pretty rough if there isn't enough gas given, BUT with the improved throttle response I noticed that when I would give the same amount of gas after I installed the kit it didn't bog down, or rpm drop AS LOW because the slacking throttle reponse was re-inforced so in a sense picked up the slack. I think the first gear test is the best way to TRUELY see how throttle response has honestly improved, the rev hang I've never relle payed attention to so I don't wanna say its changed, but like I said first gear rev hang was QUITE noticeable.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts