Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Are any companies working on a new hood with some type of air inlet for the tmic? Less weight plus more air to the cooler would be nice!

·
Registered
408 Posts
I think i saw a GB on here somewhere, but that was a couple days ago

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I saw that thread and hoods were more for looks than performance. I'm thinking a hood designed with performance as it's number one priority with the air inlet properly positioned for the tmic.

·
Registered
408 Posts
yeah i wasn't impressed, but one that would help performace might be nice. I kinda hope there isn't a group buy b/c then I might be forced to get one and I'm already looking at TMIC and the MS exhuast!!!!!!!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Mazdaspeed SRT-4? :shock:

Just me, but I'm definitely not interested. I'll stick with the stock hood, weight and all. Besides, from this angle, the inlet looks to receive less volume of air than the stock ducts.

·
Registered
256 Posts
[quote author=Focused link=topic=71487.msg1257896#msg1257896 date=1173430356]

Just me, but I'm definitely not interested. I'll stick with the stock hood, weight and all. Besides, from this angle, the inlet looks to receive less volume of air than the stock ducts.
[/quote]

That may be true, but you're adding the hood inlet in addition to the stock ducts. So you're not really losing anything but gaining the extra air from the hood.

If it's worth the cost is another thing though. :lol:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
that is quite a small inlet... but matched it with the factory ductwork under the hood and it could be effective. Once I get a FMIC, I'll remove all the crap under the factory hood anyways, so I not worried about the weight.

·
Registered
368 Posts
What about a carbon fiber hood? But no STI type scoop on it, just some openings at the rear to let all that hot turbo/exhaust manifold air out back by the firewall. It would help let hot air out after you park too. Instead of it heatsoaking the whole engine compartment.

·
Registered
114 Posts
A hood scoop with top-mount works reasonably well on Subarus because they use a very shallow, horizontally opposed boxer engine mounted longitudinally. Because of this, there is nothing beneath the intercooler in a Subaru except the transmission and empty space. The intercooler sits in the rear of the engine bay, and once air passes through the intercooler, it has a clear exit path down the transmission tunnel.

On the Mazdaspeed3 there is no real exit path for the air once it has entered the intercooler. It sits directly on the engine and other, large, non-porous, and hot parts. I'm not sure exactly how limiting this is (surly it is to some degree), but I would bet that it is more cost-effective to move to either a water-to-air intercooler or a front-mount than it would be to try to hood-scoop a TMIC setup. Maybe if the hood allowed you to raise or angle the TMIC, that would prove useful, but I think that's what it would take to get a meaningful amount of extra air flow.

Getting air into the intercooler only works if you can get air out, too.

·
Registered
639 Posts
[quote author=awdturbo link=topic=71487.msg1257909#msg1257909 date=1173433757]
[quote author=Focused link=topic=71487.msg1257896#msg1257896 date=1173430356]

[/quote]

That may be true, but you're adding the hood inlet in addition to the stock ducts. So you're not really losing anything but gaining the extra air from the hood.

If it's worth the cost is another thing though. :lol:
[/quote]

It still reminds me of an SRT-4 :( No, thanks.

Who is the manufacturer for this hood anyway? Anyone got a link by any chance?

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
I've always thought of this as a very well-done scoop. They should use this as a guide, and scaled it down accordingly.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'll take a scoop like that, along with the rest of the car. :lol:

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
[quote author=GimmeA3s link=topic=71487.msg1258299#msg1258299 date=1173457735]
I've always thought of this as a very well-done scoop. They should use this as a guide, and scaled it down accordingly.

[/quote]

Well the hood posted above looks very much like a scaled down version of just that...

:) perhaps you just like the way it flows with the body lines of the Ferrari a lot better than the way it conflicts against the MS3s bodywork.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Actually the scoop on the mazda seems too close to the bumper asthetically, probably isn't even over the intercooler, and it's not quite as shallow, nor wide, as the one of the Ferarri, which looks much better. Not to mention the one on the Mazda has edges that are far more rounded, and again not as nice looking.

·
Registered
639 Posts
It's obviously in the eye of the beholder, but I doubt it'd look any better if even the same exact scoop on the ferrari were on the Mazda hood. The scoops are of the same family in my book, and personally, the style absolutely does not flow with the lines of Mazda.

Sure, it's functional, so I wouldn't call it a ricer mod. But it certainly looks tacky on the 3, IMHO.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
The scoop on the red mazda above is more viper/vette "ish" (V in shape) and I've never been a fan of those types of scoops. I'm sure their is a style of scoop that will look more natural for the speed and match the speed's "edge" type look. Here is a scoop that I think is a little more speedish, of course it would need to be scaled to size but you get the general idea.

http://www.dodge.com/autoshow/charger_srt8/gallery.html#

See picture 1 of 6 of this gallery. Maybe smooth out the lines at the very front of the scoop and it would look very nice on the speed...just an idea.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
[quote author=stretch link=topic=71487.msg1258214#msg1258214 date=1173455556]
Getting air into the intercooler only works if you can get air out, too.
[/quote]

IMO this is the biggest drawback with the MS3 set up as it is stock (that and the hood is WAY heavier than I thought it would be). Hence Sergio's suggestion below would be a probable solution if such a hood was made in the future.

[quote author=sergio link=topic=71487.msg1258193#msg1258193 date=1173454917]
What about a carbon fiber hood? But no STI type scoop on it, just some openings at the rear to let all that hot turbo/exhaust manifold air out back by the firewall. It would help let hot air out after you park too. Instead of it heatsoaking the whole engine compartment.
[/quote]

I still learning here so forgive me, but if I go with a FMIC won't there be the same issue in terms of getting the hot air OUT of the engine bay?

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
"I still learning here so forgive me, but if I go with a FMIC won't there be the same issue in terms of getting the hot air OUT of the engine bay?"

I'm not sure about Mazdaspeeds, but for my 99 Dakota R/T a cowl induction hood made a nice difference as far as engine bay temperatures. Depending on traffic and weather, my engine bay was about 10 to 15 degrees cooler than with the older hood with the hood liner. The truck also had a K&N CAI and the cowl hood did not direct the air to the filer, but at least the engine bay was cooler.

I would think that even if the Speed does not have much room for the air to exit once it passes the IC, that more air via an aftermarket hood inlet would still help more air hit the IC. Many of us will probably be getting bigger ICers, it would be nice to see a hood designed to let more air pass to the bigger IC. Just my .02. :D

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
[quote author=Storm link=topic=71487.msg1259124#msg1259124 date=1173487132]
"I still learning here so forgive me, but if I go with a FMIC won't there be the same issue in terms of getting the hot air OUT of the engine bay?"

I'm not sure about Mazdaspeeds, but for my 99 Dakota R/T a cowl induction hood made a nice difference as far as engine bay temperatures. Depending on traffic and weather, my engine bay was about 10 to 15 degrees cooler than with the older hood with the hood liner. The truck also had a K&N CAI and the cowl hood did not direct the air to the filer, but at least the engine bay was cooler.

I would think that even if the Speed does not have much room for the air to exit once it passes the IC, that more air via an aftermarket hood inlet would still help more air hit the IC. Many of us will probably be getting bigger ICers, it would be nice to see a hood designed to let more air pass to the bigger IC. Just my .02. :D
[/quote]

Yep. My interest really stems from the fact that I sit in traffic ALL the time and I'm wondering what the heatsoak would be like after extremely long periods of time. I know that after getting back up to higher speeds it should be able to cool down quickly...it's just the question of all that time sitting at higher temps and if it would be damaging or not.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts