Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna get a dash with the glove compartment where the Nav screen usually sits... like on the Mazda 6. I wonder if they have these in Europe where NAV is so popular.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
God damn... Why not!!

I wonder if that piece will fit from the Mazda6 to the Mazda3. Wait lemme guess... your answer is "No."

:(

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Everything and anything will fit, with modification. It would be simple, fiberglass and vinyl. Or painted.

Maybe if you did paint it, you could paint that little fake carbon fiber piece to match the body color. That would rock.

·
Registered
103 Posts
want one of us yankees to ship one to ya ?lol. us americans can be good for something once in awhile..lol
D said:
I wanna get a dash with the glove compartment where the Nav screen usually sits... like on the Mazda 6. I wonder if they have these in Europe where NAV is so popular.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe I'll just order NAV. Anyone know if we cat get the OEM NAV screen and dash but patch in an aftermarket DVD NAV system? the NAV Mazda is offering won't work in Canada.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Probably be cheaper to get an aftermarket screen/dvd/nav controller all-in-one.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya but the aftermarket stuff won't tuck away seamlessly into the dash... I don't want to look riced up (especially when its not on). I just want subtle hence the Stock screen and dash... but I want performance hence the aftermarket DVD unit in the glove box.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
yea im going with the stock nav to...and just figure out something else for a dvd player...im sure someone will figure it out haha

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem is that I bought my car before NAV was even offered in North America on Mazda3's . I gotta get them to swap out the dash!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
How much?

D said:
Problem is that I bought my car before NAV was even offered in North America on Mazda3's . I gotta get them to swap out the dash!
Lemme know what this will cost ya.... My dealer wouldn't come down in price, so now I have to save and plug it in after the fact. Just saving the money for parts and labor.

Does anyone know why the brochure says you have to have the Xenon light package to have the DVD Nav?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I still don't understand why it's not possible to swap the center pieces in the dash. Shouldn't their be a supplier to just buy the insert. Then you could add your own screen. In the pic below, you can see where the creen is. That insert is the same as the non nav dash(vents/hazards and all), just without the flip up.

Is there something I'm missing?

Craig

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
That's what I want to know (man, I'm crossposting .. bad bad!)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hey D,

If ya find a way to install a NAV system, please let me know! :)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
TellyDSP said:
In the pic below, you can see where the creen is. That insert is the same as the non nav dash(vents/hazards and all), just without the flip up.

Is there something I'm missing?
Probably. There's got to be something underneath - look inside your airvents now - it goes straight back. They probably won't sell you the center dash w/o the monitor. Personally, I like it. I test drove in the rain, but it was VERY bright out, and I could read it clean as day.

My problem is that to install the factory unit - you will get an entirely new center console too. Check where the controls are - that's not a snap-in item, it's mounted in the actualy area.

I'm still with whoever stated they would like to have the extra storage. Like many other cars, they have the open storage hole on the drivers side under the light switches (dimmers/xenon control). My Honda had a flip down, so if you put something in it, it would stay, not slide around (it was felt covered too).

Other than the glove box, and maybe if you remove the ashtray (white light is annoying), there's no useable front storage. This was handy for pens, some quick cash, cards, whatever. But it doesn't exist here. The P5 has something, even if it isn't all that great.

However, I think you are better off getting the center console screen, then tricking it into another DVD player.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ok so I'm a little confused. Is the dash piece(the one with the screen in it) the same piece fitment as the models w/out the NAV system. As in you can just take the one form thecar with the nav in it and just swap it for the non nav car. The reason I ask is that I would like to fit my car PC into my 3 btu I have no where to put my screen and the stock NAV dash piece that holds the oem screen would work perfectly and give it a nice factory look to it.

- Phil

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Oh... Then I think the answer is yes.

But I think you have to purchase the entire DVD Nav kit. I don't think you can just get the dash piece w/o the monitor or nav player.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I would think it was because the passanger airbag compartment should remain the same size in nav equipped and non-equiped cars while the driver's instrument cluster would be the same as well. In addition, anything below the air vents is integrated into the audio system. Though I don't know for sure, I would speculate that the dash area from drivers to passanger side is made up of at least 3 segments, with the center one being interchangable between Nav and non-Nav models. If its even possible to order this section is beyond me (though I would hope cause I want to do the same thing as you eventually).

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
it looks to me it might be the same size as the one in the 6. maybe you can order one for the 6 and put it in your 3? I am sure you can order that piece thru the dealer.. or any mechanic place for that matter.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts