Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New CX7, Some Comments

I picked up a new CX7 after Christmas. I'm coming from a Legacy GT Sedan (325hp, 350Tq, heavily modded) so this new CX7 is a little strange for me to get used to. So far I am really enjoying it.

Some concerns:

The automatic heating system and the fan speed is not enough. Being that the temperature sensor is so close to the heat output, on a 22F morning, I have to switch to manual mode because the fan speed drops to half long before the car gets warmed up on a 75F setting. The fan speed is not enough to heat the interior cabin of the CX7, not by far. On a 22F morning, it will take 20 minutes to heat up the cabin because the fan is just not blowing hard enough to put out enough heat. To compensate, I often turn off the climate control, turn the fan on full, turn on the AC and set it to recycle air. Then I can heat it up faster. Once when I got in and it was snowing hard outside – the he windows fogged up immediately and became so bad, I had to stop because I just couldn't see anything. The fan, even on high with AC for defrost or in cabin was just not enough to compensate. I find that ridiculous and dangerous.

I had the remote start added as it was not part of the installation. After that, the NAVI screen is now so dim it is basically useless. I have an appointment Wednesday to have it checked. Day, Night, Auto – doesn’t matter, it is always so dim it is impossible to see during the day.

Keyless entry drives me nutts and I’m starting to hate it. 50% of the time, I can’t get in the car because it won’t recognize the key is right there. I get in the car after doing a remote start, and it blinks RED KEY. I can put the key against the dash, against the ignition, anywhere; it will not turn on, so I have to turn the car off, then back on. Sometimes, it will just stop recognizing the key is actually there and start blinking RED KEY and beeping at me.

Sometimes I can’t lock the car because the RED KEY is blinking. I have even been locked out of the car on a remote start because it would not recognize the key was anywhere near the car. That freaked me out for about 5 minutes, my car running and I can’t get in it. Finally I remote turned the car off and then was able to get in.

My first tank of gas? 214 miles on 16.2 gallons of gas. That’s 13.2 MPG. Holy freakin cow considering premium gas here costs $2.58 a gallon. Even my highly modded LGT was getting 23 MPG.

I leased this CX7 and I’m starting to get scared. When it runs, it runs great, but this thing is loaded to the hilt: Every option you can get (chrome wheels, you name it), but with all the electronics, something is bound to go whack.

It has now been back in the shop twice. If I continue to have problems, I may have to pursue legal action to get out of my lease. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: New CX7, Some Comments

Your issues are interesting...

I haven't had any problem with the heat... I find it heats up relatively quickly. Now, I wouldn't say it's blaring hot in 5 minutes, but its definitely warm enough, and by the time I've DRIVEN the car five minutes it's getting warm enough that I want to turn it down. I typically set mine at about 78º just before I shut the car off so that when I use the remote-start it can heat up quicker.

Your remote-start install sounds like they did something wrong. I know what you mean about it being dim... and that is because when you remote-start the car it automatically kicks on the parking lights (so your interior lights are in "night mode"). BUT, when you get in the car, turn the ignition to "on" and tap the brake it should all return to normal.

Mind you, if it's overcast out and you have the headlights set to auto it could be that your headlights are staying on, in which case your interior gauge/radio/nav lighting will be in "night mode". You can force it back to day mode by pressing the gauge dimmer button (on the speedometer, right behind the steering wheel, upper left).

I LOVE the keyless entry. I haven't had any problems, but I have heard you should keep it away from cellphones. Don't put it in your pocket or bag right next to a cellphone (I keep my keys in my coat pocket and my cellphone in either a pants pocket or bag). Also, metal can interfere, so don't keep it with loose change or a zillion key chains on your key ring. You probably shouldn't keep it in a laptop bag either. As for the issues you're having with remote-start, again it sounds like they did something wrong. Did you get the Mazda remote start or an aftermarket one (I discovered the hard way that aftermarket remote-start kits don't "play nice" with the Smart-Key system).

I also have the autolocking feature turned on an LOVE it. I get out of the car, close the door and it beeps. I walk away and when I'm about 4 feet from the car it beeps again, locks all doors and engages the alarm. I've had it since before Christmas and only once did in not lock (and I had to hit the lock button the Smart Key).

You should NOT be able to be locked out with the remote-start. It shouldn't be possible if you are doing everything right, or if it was installed right. Again, is it aftermarket?
Remote start KEEPS the car locked when you start it from afar... but once you have approached the car and disengaged the remote-start (by turning the key to "on" and by tapping the brake) you should NOT be able to lock yourself out. Your smart-key actually prevents it from being locked at ALL while it's running (if you are outside the vehicle).

Gas mileage is a mixed bag. I've gotten over 18 MPG with mixed highway, around-town driving. But with ALL around-town short-trip driving I've gotten as bad as 13 MPG. Also keep in mind that the first few thousand miles on the car you'll be breaking it in, so you won't get the best gas mileage you can get. Also, remember to put in 91 or better gas. Keep in mind too that remote-starting the car and letting it idle for extending periods (like letting it warm up for 10 or more minutes) will kill your gas mileage. When you aren't moving you are getting ZERO mpg. People tend to forget that ;)

Your "electronic" issues (other than the climate control) all sound inter-related... and I'd BET it all has to do with the wrong kind of remote-start being installed (aftermarket), with a bad install, or with you not understanding that you must disengage it (turn key to "on", tap brake). I have some "issues" with the car as well, but they are all convenience issues (bad programming on Mazda's part when it comes to the Bose radio)... but NOTHING that makes me think there will be reliability issues in the future. I learned a LOT about the remote-start system in this car the first 2 weeks I had it and you MUST get the Mazda one with the tech-package version of the car. It also MUST be installed properly. That's where I'd start with your problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The remote start that I have was purchased with the car, but had not come factory installed. I was assured by the dealership (who installed it) that it was a Mazda product.

The auto-lock feature I was warned by the dealership not to use at this point. They said that Mazda is having issues with it - sometimes not locking, sometimes locking at wrong moments - and said until they work out the bugs, I would be better off not having it done.

I will check the light sensor toggle and see what it is.

You are right about the remote start: It puts the parking lights on and hense dims the screen. What I find is that when you get in, turn the ignition to ON and press the brake, the dim screen does not return to normal, but stays dim.

I'm narrowing the dimness of the NAVI down to remote start + lights on Auto. The last day I have not had the lights on auto and I have not used the remote start - my screen has come back to bright and has been usable.

The car goes back to the shop tomorrow.

The keyless entry drives me nutts, but for the most part it seems to work. It is just odd when the car is running (remote start), I'm standing outside the door with the smart key an inch away from the door handle - and I cannot unlock the door. This has only happend once mind you. I press the button on the door handle and nothing happens - but when I press the button, I can see the light flash on my smartkey. I press the unlock on my smart key, light blinks, nothing happens. I press the button on the remote start - and it unlocks. Very weird.

The auto-light system is funky. Driving down the freeway, go under an overpass, the shade causes the lights to pop on for a moment, back into the sun they turn off. Didn't know it was *that* sensative.

Still, overall I am happy with this car. I hope the gass mileage gets better. I asked the dealer if it were normal to see black smoke come out of the tailpipe when turning it on first thing in the morning. They said yes, but you know dealers. I've had SIX other Subarus in the last five years and never seen that before.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Well I have not had any issues with the autolocking, you just have to follow the instructions correctly. Person with the key has to be the last one to close their door and it all locks up fine.

The day-mode / night-mode toggle (press the gauge dimmer dial) will resolve your problem (once you've properly deactivated the remote-start), but the question to ask is WHY the auto headlights are seeing it as nighttime if it isn't. Keep in mind, the auto headlights are sensitive (I happen to think a little too sensitive) so if you're parked in a shady spot at home (like I am) when you start the car the lights might be on until you pull into the sunlight/brighter conditions.

Park your car where it's normally parked, put the headlights to auto, then try this... remote start your car... get in, deactivate remote-start appropriately, and see if the nav and gauges are still dim. If they are, turn the headlights completely off. If it comes back to full brightness (day-mode), I'd say you're parked in a spot that's too shady when you start the car. Which means, either don't use the auto headlights or just wait until you pull out of your driveway/garage/shade and see if they come back on day-mode.

If that isn't the issue after you've tested it, and they just stay in night-mode (too dim during the day) no matter what, I'd say there's more of an issue with your remote start than the headlight sensor or car. You said the issue started after it was installed, so it sounds like your dealership did something wrong.

Now, the keyless entry... your problem sounds like the one I was having when I had the AFTERMARKET remote-start in the car. Does your remote-start key fob have a Mazda logo on it? Does it look like this:

Mazda Part number should be: 0000-8F-M06B.

If it doesn't, go back to the dealership and DEMAND the Mazda OEM Remote-Start. It is the ONLY remote-start system (at this point) that will work properly with the Smart-Key system. Trust me on this... I've been through it. With an aftermarket system if you remote-start the car you CANNOT unlock the car with the Smart-Key.

If you keep having issues I'd demand they remove the remote-start system and see if that resolves the issues. It sounds to me like it's really the root of your problems... either they installed the wrong thing, or installed it incorrectly. If they remove it and there's still issues, they can then tackle the problems without another possible variable in the mix (and they can reinstall the Mazda remote-start once other issues are fixed). If the remote start IS the problem they can re-install it properly, and install the Mazda one (if it's not already the Mazda one). This should obviously all be at NO COST to you.

Yup, like I said above the auto-headlights tend to be too sensitive. They need to work with a slight delay (like my toyota did) so they don't kick on immediately when sensing darkness, but 4 or 5 seconds later. This would illiminate the overpass/shady tree issue. There's a way to adjust the headlight sensitivity and I even tried that, and it did not help. They need to have a slight delay.

That's why on real cloudy/rainy days it's good to know about the day-mode / night-mode button on the dimmer dial. I like to keep my headlights in Auto mode as much as possible, but on those overcase days I do have to push the dimmer dial to get a brighter display on my nav screen (and to force it into day-mode).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yes, I have the original keys with the Mazda symbol on them.

I have tried the gauge dimmer dial, it hasn't done any good. Even my boss who went to lunch with me on Friday said the NAVI is too dim to see during the day.

I didn't make it back to the dealership this week, I will have to try again this week. It is just a pain because it is 20 miles from home and I hate waiting or getting rides.

Man I am really starting to hate the keyless entry. I'd like to go back to keys please. I have the smartkey in hand. I can open the door. I get in, I can start the car. After the car is started, the red KEY light is blinking furiously at me and stays that way until I shut it off and turn it back on. I can shove the smartkey up the car's ... and still it won't recognize it. Odd that I can still open the doors. :x

I also noticed that the chrome wheels I spent extra on are starting to get rust spots on them. It is only a matter of time before they are ruined. I also noticed the tail pipe extensions that come on the CX-7 are starting to also get rust spots. Did they not use stainless steel on these? Apparently not, most likely they used chrome, and it is starting to show.

I just need to find time when I can dump the car on the dealer for days and leave it there until they get it all figured out. Of course, I have to drive my wife's car around for a few days until I get that resolved - which doesn't help her.

The dealer doesn't offer a car, they send you to Hertz Rental, which costs you + $7.00 a gallon for gas. Oh heck no.

Right now I'm frustrated. Frustrated with the weird technology and how it just doesn't quite work right. Frustrated with the chrome on the rims because they are spotting and will only get worse. Frustrated that I am getting 13.0 to 14.0 miles per gallon in the city.

This is not a good impression for me with Mazda as I have been a Subaru owner since 1992 and never had so many issues with a new car. Right now if I had a chance to do over, I would avoid Mazda completely.

·
Registered
187 Posts

I think you have a problem with your car. All your problems are the exact opposite of the things I love about mine. The automatic temperature control is even better than Nissan's (which is precise) and the defrosters work like magic even faster than my Jetta's. In regards to your key issue the system is desgned to deter the car jackers who steal your car while your getting in, so its touchy. For example if my girl has the handle ready to open the door it will remained locked.

The mileage thing is your auto starter, and I don't know if you have gone past 2500 miles but things get significantly better. I use 93 oct and can easily do 19mpg which for a mazda is great (my mazda 3 2.3 did only that and my 2.0 did around 24-26)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

My auto temperature on my last six Subarus beat this CX7 hands down. I stopped using it and just use manual now. Problem solved.

I just did my third tank of gas. 224 miles on 16.3 gallons of gas. My MPG went up to 13.7, up from 13.2.

We do not have 93 octane gas around here, only 91.

I'm setting up a new appointment with the dealer this week and going over my laundry list.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Like I've said in my replies to you, it all sounds like the majority of your problems are coming from the remote start... either it was installed wrong or the part was bad. I'd get it back to the dealer pronto. Really, stop complaining and do something about it because the things you're complaining about should NOT be happening.

You car IS recognizing the smart key. It has to be to let you start the car and open it. When they installed your remote start did they hide a key in your car by chance?

Chrome wheels may look nice (at least to you) but they are NOT a "durable" rim. You do not want to have them on the car in a winter environment (with salt on the roads especially) as they will get pitted. Living and driving near the beach will also cause them to deteriorate in quality more quickly. Even brake-dust causing pitting. They require a lot of maintenance and you HAVE TO make sure you wash them with the correct type of stuff otherwise you'll make the situation worst. Unlike aluminum, Chrome can and will rust (remember those little "fenders" on your bicycle as a kid?). I honestly don't know why anyone puts Chrome wheels on their car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

This morning I was messing with the dimmer (above the speedometer) as you mentioned before. I have done this many times to no avail. Today, I just started turning it and turning it and turning it, and wham... It suddenly went bright. All the controls are now bright and the NAVI is bright. So I think I have nailed down the problem there and Monday I will point them in that direction. It is so amazing when it is bright.

As for the rims, yes, I understand. I will be getting some new rims for it this summer. I have some Koenig 18's with low profiles, but it'd look awful funny being they are 235x40 and this takes 235x60. Would be interesting.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have no issues with the heat in mine,but I have heard some complaints. It's not bold, blaring heat, but it does the trick and the heated seats help too. I'm not sure how it is in the back of the vehicle.

As for you door lock problem, it should not lock you out, but it's not clear if you have a factory remote starter or if it was installed correctly.

·
Registered
1 Posts

[quote author=CXRabbit link=topic=67565.msg1163903#msg1163903 date=1169531508]

I haven't had any problem with the heat... I find it heats up relatively quickly. Now, I wouldn't say it's blaring hot in 5 minutes, but its definitely warm enough, and by the time I've DRIVEN the car five minutes it's getting warm enough that I want to turn it down. I typically set mine at about 78º just before I shut the car off so that when I use the remote-start it can heat up quicker.

[/quote]

Setting your thermostat higher doesn't buy you a faster heat rate. What is does is increase the heater fan RPM running speed. In theory this may accelerate the cabin temperture slightly as the heat transfers from the heater core but only after the thermostat opens and allows the heated coolant flow through your heater core.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Setting your thermostat higher doesn't buy you a faster heat rate. What is does is increase the heater fan RPM running speed. In theory this may accelerate the cabin temperture slightly as the heat transfers from the heater core but only after the thermostat opens and allows the heated coolant flow through your heater core.
Yup, totally realize that. In "auto" mode the fan won't even kick on until the car is at least warm enough to start blowing warm air. I've just found the 77 or 78 degrees seem to be a good setting to get it nice and toasty in a relatively short period of time. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts