Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am currently looking in buying a new clutch for my car. I know many ran
a SPEC clutch but I heard many complaints about their product...

I also remember Juan said he has a ACT clutch on his car and he said
it is working great for him. I was looking on the internet and found a site
www.raceinspired.com and found they were selling the ACT
clutch disk and also a 4-pad clutch disk.

Do i need anything else? I find it strange it ''only'' cost approx 200$ while
other clutches sell for more than 350$

thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
[quote author=jeanseb link=topic=71032.msg1247157#msg1247157 date=1172982697]
...I find it strange it ''only'' cost approx 200$ while
other clutches sell for more than 350$

thanks
[/quote]

ACT sounds like it is for sure the way to go, but your price question def sounds solid. I'd wait for someone who's purchase this ACT clutch before proceding to purchase it.

(this no shit moment is brought to you by; years of reading forums where people listen to the wrong peoples advice.).

Kev.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
The advise is to keep your stock clutch to soak up some of the stress off of the transmission.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i know,

I'll be going with stronger geara though

·
Registered
656 Posts
Their prices are good. Just make sure it is the Mazda 3 disc. The protege ones will fit, however the Ouside diameter is smaller in the protege.

I had mine custom made by ACT.

Juan

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[quote author=lc link=topic=71032.msg1248450#msg1248450 date=1173057966]
why not exedy?
[/quote]

well act is cheaper, and juan said it is working very great with his setup...

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
if u had to change ur clutch
spec stg2+ with 14lbs flywheel.

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
[quote author=eurotuner link=topic=71032.msg1249129#msg1249129 date=1173100135]
[/quote]

did u read his original post?

[quote author=jeanseb link=topic=71032.msg1247157#msg1247157 date=1172982697]
a SPEC clutch but I heard many complaints about their product...
[/quote]

That's why he's not looking at the spec clutches at all - I haven't heard good things either. Also with a boosted car he might not want to go with a lighter flywheel.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
^^You Don't want to go with a lighter flywheel, and Euro we've been over this flywheel thing before. :dhorse:

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
[quote author=Fox Fader link=topic=71032.msg1250408#msg1250408 date=1173139128]
^^You Don't want to go with a lighter flywheel, and Euro we've been over this flywheel thing before. :dhorse:
[/quote]

14lds isnt that light.
7 or 9.

but sorry i know where the door is :surrender:

·
Registered
656 Posts
[/quote]

Please do not do this in turbo cars. I tried the SPEC and it is POS. The pressure plate is the same as stock and the disc is a POS. I used it and did not last 1 single dyno pull after doing a 600 mile break in. Put the stock back on and the car ran perfect for another 3000 miles.

The light flywheel is not a good idea on turbo cars, unless you want to go professional road racing. Not good for drag racing or street.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I don't get it... I have the spec stg3 and havent had a single problem with it yet. Also have the 9lbs FW.

Having a light flywheel offeres a reduction in weight where it really counts, which is rotational mass. This means bigger gains will show up on a dyno because a lot more horse power will actually reach the wheels. This is due to it taking less effort for your engine to turn the flywheel.

Your car will feel much much more responsive with the light weight flywheel too. When you give the car a little gas, it really goes. I noticed a huge increase in acceleration after I had mine installed. Not only does the car accelerate much faster, it also slows down much faster, especially when you downshift.

This is physics:

You car WILL accelerate faster in every gear with a lighter flywheel.

It's that simple.

Autocross, daily driving, etc.

You will lose some stored energy in the engine on the shifts, that is it. Of course, learn to shift and that isn't an issue either.

A flywheel does one thing: It stores energy. With that said, it will take more engine power to the wheel instead of having to loose it at the crank. You won't be making more power you will just be putting it where it counts.

If you have a lighter flywheel it stores less energy, thus it requires less energy to turn it.

For daily driving, it may make the car idle a little rougher and more prone to stalling (not a lot). Stop and go traffic will bite, it won't be fun at all. Twisty mountain roads will kick ass.

On the drag strip you will be faster (assuming you adjust your shifting methods for the lighter flywheel).

It is much harder to do a burn out with a light flywheel, you will need to launch at higher RPM's to break the tires loose.

Oh yeah, and you will see some lower MPG since you will be needing more effort to keep the FW going due to less inertia compared to the stock or heavier FW's.

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
[quote author=HiBoost MZ3 link=topic=71032.msg1250474#msg1250474 date=1173140853]
[/quote]

Please do not do this in turbo cars. I tried the SPEC and it is POS. The pressure plate is the same as stock and the disc is a POS. I used it and did not last 1 single dyno pull after doing a 600 mile break in. Put the stock back on and the car ran perfect for another 3000 miles.

The light flywheel is not a good idea on turbo cars, unless you want to go professional road racing. Not good for drag racing or street.
[/quote]

ACT all the way!?

what clutch do u recommend then for 350WHP car?
i guess they have different stage too?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
[quote author=HiBoost MZ3 link=topic=71032.msg1247776#msg1247776 date=1173028818]
I had mine custom made by ACT.

Juan
[/quote]
So no, there are no different stages from ACT. There isn't even one! (Unless u have it custom made like Juan did)

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
so 1 for any power the car puts out?

i see they got a website?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
No, there are different stgs for different pwr outputs BUT, I thought they didn't have them available for the 3 and that Juan had his custom made. So... looking at the website, raceinspired.com, I see they have different ones... don't know, I'd say six puck but maybe ud b fine with a 4 puck. Interesting that they do not list it on the ACT site but they r selling them on that website.

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
u right, lol i should have thought of that.

a shop just send me an email, i was looking to get a 240sx and have a shop sponsor me to convert it into a s15.
and he did say he would use a ACT 6-puck clutch kit

(gotta drop 12k into a 2k car lol sounds ridiculous)

thanks xenon what flavor the cookie?

·
Registered
656 Posts
The heavier flywheel will have a better balanced engine for the street. Better idle and better drivability for the daily driver. Once you get full racing slicks that really grab, the car will be very hard to launch correctly no matter how high you rev it. The heavier flywheel will absorb more energy keeping the tranny from receiving hard hits therefore saving it from breaking parts. It is good idea on NA cars that rev real high but not for the daily drivers.

Brian 805 stopped blowing trannies when he got back to the stock clutch.

Believe me, I have done many tests and there is proof with our proteges and mazda 3s to be the fastest with very good a reliable power.

On the protege that we race in Miami, the best 1/4 mile run was when the customer went back to the stock flywheel compared to the lightweight he had before.

Physics is physics and think that the stock flywheel has more positive than negative effects in our cars.

Just ask Brian.

My 2 cents

[/quote]thee author=Xenon929 link=topic=71032.msg1250489#msg1250489 date=1173141138]
I don't get it... I have the spec stg3 and havent had a single problem with it yet. Also have the 9lbs FW.

Having a light flywheel offeres a reduction in weight where it really counts, which is rotational mass. This means bigger gains will show up on a dyno because a lot more horse power will actually reach the wheels. This is due to it taking less effort for your engine to turn the flywheel.

Your car will feel much much more responsive with the light weight flywheel too. When you give the car a little gas, it really goes. I noticed a huge increase in acceleration after I had mine installed. Not only does the car accelerate much faster, it also slows down much faster, especially when you downshift.

This is physics:

You car WILL accelerate faster in every gear with a lighter flywheel.

It's that simple.

Autocross, daily driving, etc.

You will lose some stored energy in the engine on the shifts, that is it. Of course, learn to shift and that isn't an issue either.

A flywheel does one thing: It stores energy. With that said, it will take more engine power to the wheel instead of having to loose it at the crank. You won't be making more power you will just be putting it where it counts.

If you have a lighter flywheel it stores less energy, thus it requires less energy to turn it.

For daily driving, it may make the car idle a little rougher and more prone to stalling (not a lot). Stop and go traffic will bite, it won't be fun at all. Twisty mountain roads will kick ass.

On the drag strip you will be faster (assuming you adjust your shifting methods for the lighter flywheel).

It is much harder to do a burn out with a light flywheel, you will need to launch at higher RPM's to break the tires loose.

Oh yeah, and you will see some lower MPG since you will be needing more effort to keep the FW going due to less inertia compared to the stock or heavier FW's.

[/quote]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts