Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i replaced my front brake pads 2 days ago, this is my first set, the old ones were oem and the new ones too.
after installing the new pads, i have the feeling that they do not perform good like the old ones, it also feels like it does not respond that fast like the old ones
so what do you guys think this is or is that normal?

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Yeah I meant to mention, when you install new pads you have to pump the brakes afterwards until the pedal is hard to press, this builds the pressure back up for a firm brake feel, was this done.

You also need to break then in with a few short stops at 15 to 35 mph and then a few harder stops, this will make them grip better and you should be all set.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=TEKWATCH link=topic=136106.msg2931441#msg2931441 date=1234447158]
Yeah I meant to mention, when you install new pads you have to pump the brakes afterwards until the pedal is hard to press, this builds the pressure back up for a firm brake feel, was this done.

You also need to break then in with a few short stops at 15 to 35 mph and then a few harder stops, this will make them grip better and you should be all set.
[/quote]
yeah i did pump the brakes after the install, and the install was pretty easy, but i dont know how to break them in, what do you mean by short stops at 15 to 35?
thanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
research bedding in your brakes/pads. It is critical to get the most performance and life from your brakes by properly bedding in your brakes.

·
Registered
435 Posts
[quote author=TEKWATCH link=topic=136106.msg2931441#msg2931441 date=1234447158]

[/quote]
even if not done it will happen while driving. this happens because you compress the piston all the way in and it needs to come back out alittle. this is not what he is noticeing.

likely what is happening is the pads have not set to the minor grooves in your old rotors.......you currently have less surface area of pad on the rotor. it will set into the rotor soon enough. find a nice quiet road and do a few MEDIUM stops from 30ish mph. but do not get them to hot as this will warp the rotors.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok thanks guys, i think that after doing the bedding in method, i think i kinda feel that its better, or is it just a feeling coz i did something? :)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Depends on what your definition of OEM is.

OEM for brake pads should mean "the exact same ones that came with the car", those you would get at the dealer.

However, for the same price, you can get some aftermarket pads that are arguably better (less dust, better braking).

-Gary

·
Registered
127 Posts
Original Equipment Manufacturer , the reason is because I've heard that aftermarket ones could possibly shorten the life of the rotors although, they would outperform the stock ones.

·
Registered
757 Posts
[quote author=Nomanchez link=topic=136106.msg2945731#msg2945731 date=1234996764]
Original Equipment Manufacturer , the reason is because I've heard that aftermarket ones could possibly shorten the life of the rotors although, they would outperform the stock ones.
[/quote]

No, aftermarket street pads do not shorten the life of the rotors.

-Gary

·
Registered
198 Posts
[quote author=mazdabrakes link=topic=136106.msg2944664#msg2944664 date=1234961936]

OEM for brake pads should mean "the exact same ones that came with the car", those you would get at the dealer.

However, for the same price, you can get some aftermarket pads that are arguably better (less dust, better braking).

-Gary
[/quote]

hello, what front brake pads do you recomend for a 2008 ms3?

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
[quote author=migueleitor link=topic=136106.msg3000350#msg3000350 date=1237323393]
[quote author=mazdabrakes link=topic=136106.msg2944664#msg2944664 date=1234961936]

-Gary
[/quote]

hello, what front brake pads do you recomend for a 2008 ms3?
[/quote]

Hawk

·
Registered
757 Posts
As far a recommendation, depends on what you are doing with the car.

For a strictly street driven car, Hawk HPS have been working very well for MS3 people.

PM sent.

-G

·
Registered
198 Posts
[quote author=mazdabrakes link=topic=136106.msg3000396#msg3000396 date=1237325179]
As far a recommendation, depends on what you are doing with the car.

For a strictly street driven car, Hawk HPS have been working very well for MS3 people.

PM sent.

-G
[/quote]

just drive daily.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts