Mazda3 Forums banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I never had those numbers either, and now I want them.

I drive an Olds Alero V6, which is supposed to pull 20/28 mpg, but it'a always skewed to the low side. I can usually get 21-22. Problem is, it has a compact car tank - 14.5 gal. So I can only drive like 230 miles before the car asks for more gas. My wife's Jetta was pulling a good 25-26 with the base 4-cyl with the same size tank, so she could easily go 300+ miles.

And then I heard how my sis-in-law's '95 Mitsu Mirage was getting like 40 mpg with the base engine, and that was just mind-blowing...

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Keep in mind that I got those numbers for the MANUAL transmission.

The automatic is different. I believe they're slightly lower.

·
Registered
16 Posts
MPG

I guess the reason i'm concerned about MPG is that my current car is a 94 Civic coupe and consistently pulls a bit over 30 mpg with a full Yakima rack setup and a cruising speed of 75+ mph. Plus, it's an automatic. So I guess I'd have reservations about buying something that gets enormously worse mileage. Sounds like the MZ3 might do OK in that arena after all.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
It won't be "enormously bad" :)

The PRO sucks more gas than a Rolla/Civic but has low end power (great for city driving) and the mpg is not bad at all - 9L/100kms city for me in AT and I tend to drive it pretty hard...

·
Registered
65 Posts
dinu01 said:
It won't be "enormously bad" :)

The PRO sucks more gas than a Rolla/Civic but has low end power (great for city driving) and the mpg is not bad at all - 9L/100kms city for me in AT and I tend to drive it pretty hard...
AutoSite listed these numbers for the US model:

28/35 for the 2.0
25/32 for the 2.3 (same as the 6i)

Pretty much in line with previously mentioned specs, so I suspect that's what we'll see when the car comes to market. Looks like Mazda improved on the old 2.0 significantly (not just higher output).

·
Registered
16 Posts
jay said:
official U.S. specs via mazda's spec sheets:

I AT - 26/34
S AT - 24/29

all i have to say is...whoohoo! :)
I'm a little bummed. I'll keep hoping that eventually they'll offer the 2.0 in the 5 door. For as much as I drive, 5mpg makes a pretty big difference. I don't know if i could bring myself to buy a car that has no MPG figures that begin with "3", even if they're really close. Too bad, but then again I realize others (probably most) won't care nearly as much about fuel economy, and they are Mazda's target market.

·
Registered
70 Posts
you simply cannot get both in the same price range. if you want better mpg, you're going to need to look for something with less hp, or costs more. honestly, i think that 25/32 are great numbers considering all the extra plus'es you're getting. if you're in that serious a need of those few extra mpg's, i think it's time you looked into another car...hybrid maybe?

·
Registered
16 Posts
jay said:
you simply cannot get both in the same price range. if you want better mpg, you're going to need to look for something with less hp, or costs more. honestly, i think that 25/32 are great numbers considering all the extra plus'es you're getting. if you're in that serious a need of those few extra mpg's, i think it's time you looked into another car...hybrid maybe?
And I will. I just find it frustrating that Mazda isn't offering the 5 door with the 2.0 liter -- something that would fulfill what I want. It's obviously possible since other markets have this combo (hell, it even looks like Canada will have this combo). Unfortunately, my wife dictates the car being auto, otherwise i'd be fine with 25/32. Just because I want a car that gets good fuel economy doesn't mean I don't also want something that is stylish and can handle. They don't necessarily need to be mutually exclusive; that's a myth shattered by many Euro spec cars.

Echo my ass LOL.

·
Registered
70 Posts
never said anything about style and handling. simply mentioned hp. if you're willing to live with less power to get better mpg #s, then there are plenty of options out there and i'm sure you'll find one that'll suit your needs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
dolanh said:
jay said:
you simply cannot get both in the same price range. if you want better mpg, you're going to need to look for something with less hp, or costs more. honestly, i think that 25/32 are great numbers considering all the extra plus'es you're getting.
I just find it frustrating that Mazda isn't offering the 5 door with the 2.0 liter -- something that would fulfill what I want. It's obviously possible since other markets have this combo (hell, it even looks like Canada will have this combo). Unfortunately, my wife dictates the car being auto, otherwise i'd be fine with 25/32.
I think the key here is that the 3s hatch will be a low-volume car. I put up a poll in the Trim forum and among people here, only 20-25% would choose the hatch style. I think that makes offering two different trims/engines a tough case for Mazda. On top of that, the current trend in the US is power over economy. When you're trying to sell a sport hatch, it makes sense to have the base engine trump the competition.

·
Registered
16 Posts
jay said:
never said anything about style and handling. simply mentioned hp. if you're willing to live with less power to get better mpg #s, then there are plenty of options out there and i'm sure you'll find one that'll suit your needs.
Sorry, I got on a bit of a rant. You're right. For 160 HP, the mileage is very good. As for options, I just wish the MZ3 5 door was (as it could be), one of them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
folderol said:
dolanh said:
I just find it frustrating that Mazda isn't offering the 5 door with the 2.0 liter ...
I think the key here is that the 3s hatch will be a low-volume car. I put up a poll in the Trim forum and among people here, only 20-25% would choose the hatch style. I think that makes offering two different trims/engines a tough case for Mazda. On top of that, the current trend in the US is power over economy. When you're trying to sell a sport hatch, it makes sense to have the base engine trump the competition.
Perhaps I'm a bit biased by what I see here in SF: there are probably at least 2 Protege5s running around for every Protege sedan. Maybe they could make an exception for the Bay Area ;)

Yes, i'm aware of that trend, and it's pretty much worldwide at this point. That doesn't mean I agree with it by any means. I find it interesting that Mazda doesn't seem too bothered about competing with the Scion offerings (which target the Pro 5s market, at least around here), as a Mz3 5 door 2l would compete favorably wih them on price and fuel economy and kill them in other areas (style, power, handling). The Mz3 5 door 2.3l, however, starts a bit beyond that level.

Finally, I think the overhead of having one more model in the range would be nominal, esp since they're already dealing on a service level w/ the 2L engine for the "i" trim sedan.

This decision is completely about marketing: they understandably want the 5 door to have as "zoom-zoom" of an image as possible, with choice being secondary and the consumer losing out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
dolanh said:
Perhaps I'm a bit biased by what I see here in SF: there are probably at least 2 Protege5s running around for every Protege sedan. Maybe they could make an exception for the Bay Area ;)

I find it interesting that Mazda doesn't seem too bothered about competing with the Scion offerings (which target the Pro 5s market, at least around here), as a Mz3 5 door 2l would compete favorably wih them on price and fuel economy and kill them in other areas (style, power, handling). The Mz3 5 door 2.3l, however, starts a bit beyond that level.
You're right about the SF bay area. California has an attachment to Japanese compacts. Around here, I think I'm seeing more P5's than sedans, but that's just cuz the sedan doesn't catch my eye. P5's are really not that common. Who knows, maybe if demand dictates, they'll offer a 3i hatch for 2005.

Personally, I don't think Mazda wants to compete with Scion. They're trying to subtly move upmarket and be a bargain BMW/Audi. It is all about marketing and brand image. They'll offer a base model sedan, but they'll market the hell out of the s models because it boosts their sporty image.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.