Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so I went to this Mazda dealer by me located in Huntington, NY in long island, the first time I had went to this dealer I was very displeased with the amount of service I got, went there, looked around outside, no one came up to me (made eye contact with a few reps) finally went inside and stood around for about 10 minutes, someone came up and said "someone will be with you shortly" waited around some more and no one came by... went back outside to look for some more 3's (at the time there might've only been one on the lot) no one came looking for me... left and went to Wantagh where I had much better service.

fast forward a week or so... I'm doing an inventory search on mazdausa.com and come across a 3 that is lacking a couple of the options I want but I need this car ASAP and it's on the lot. unfortunately, it's the same dealership I got a bad taste in my mouth from the first time. so I go down there just to look at it (or so I thought) and it looked real nice.. I was pumped, so I wanted to inquire about putting a deposit down on the car to hold it for me until I can figure out how I'm going to pay for it (or so I thought) I step inside and wait around for about 20 minutes.. giving all the service reps that 'inquiring look' finally some guy has to cross paths with me to fax something so he asks me if I need help, to which I reply "yes" and he gives me the "someone will be with you shortly" finally.. I get introduced to a female sales rep. I told her that I was interested in the black 3 outside and whether it was waiting for someone or not. she quickly takes my name, address, phone number and leaves me there to go check. (no offering of water while I wait or any such pleasantries)

she comes back finally and says it's available so I ask if I can put a deposit down to hold it for me, while this is all going on she pulls out all kinds of loan applications and paperwork and shit and pretty much forces me to fill things out, when I have no idea what exactly I'm filling out and what for, and starts asking me all kinds of questions about how I intend to pay for the car (of course my game isn't on because I assume I'm just going there to inquire about putting a deposit down on this car) so I tell her my situation and she makes some small talk. she kept trying to figure out how much I was going to put down but I just kept saying, "I'll have to see"

finally she makes me sign all these things (loan application, deposit slip, itemized bill?!?!?!) I look at the bill and I go, "what? no negotiating? no fees? no warranty options (I've heard you get slammed with a barrage of these at every dealer)? she goes.. well, we could start with invoice and go there but since you seem like you know what you want I figured I would just save time.. and I signed it anyway! :(! because I didn't know really what was going on at that point (my cell phone was going off and my head was swimming and everything else) she said she would let me go after she got all my signatures because my phone kept ringing and told me to call when I knew what kind of money I was putting down and I left.. feeling bewildered and raped.

and to make matters worse I lost all the copies of all the paperwork somewhere on my way home.. so I can only hope some maniac out there doesn't have all my info and isn't planning to steal my identity.

to say the least I'm very unhappy about the way things went down and do not want to go through this dealer (because if this is how bad their sales people are I can just image what it would be like if I ever needed service) I need this car ASAP like i mentioned previously, and it's just sitting there (I hope it doesn't have any miles and major scratches.. SHE DIDN'T EVEN WALK ME AROUND THE CAR OR OFFER A TEST DRIVE?!?!) but I also would like to have a pleasant experience and feel like I'm getting 'a deal' anyone have any advice as to what my next step should be?

Thanks a Bunch,
Dirk

EDIT: Thread title :twisted:

NOTE: Post'em all here - the less the better

·
Registered
627 Posts
bad

No, no no no.

I've had experiences like this at dealerships. Don't waste your time. Go somewhere else.

I got lost in that long read, but did you already make a downpayment? If so, then just go with it. I would write a letter to Mazda though about how crap their service was.

If not, get the heck out of there and find someone who'll treat you with respect.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
This may sound dastardly... but, you could probably go to the dealer you want to buy from and ask them to locate the car you want. Chances are, they'll probably come up with that same car and transport it for you.

Unfortunately, you don't have time on your side, which really sucks as dealers like the sh**hole you went to will take advantage of your situation. Right now I'm testing the waters and building a list of dealers and salesmen I'd buy from based on impressions and willingness to work with me. I definitely have a good idea who'll receive my money.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sounds like a crappy dealer for sure, but my take is that you gotta take some of the heat for the situation you're in. I mean, you should have asked how much they wanted to hold the car for you - plain and simple. Don't let them dodge the question and if they refuse to give you an answer, you walk. Instead, you "somehow" found yourself in the middle of a loan application? Not quite sure how that happens. . .

·
Registered
882 Posts
Yeah that "good" dealer will bring in the car for you. That really sounds like things got out of hand Dirk.

First things first if you are inexperienced buyer I would seriously think about bringing a friend or relative that is impartial, they can help slow things down and catch any weird stuff coming your way.

Just gotta slow things down Dirk. Second thing you should always do is always read and clarify what you are signing/commiting to. For all you know you could be the proud owner of a 76 Pinto with no engine. ;) If you feel rushed just tell her that, if he/she keeps pushing just get up and say thank you for your time and leave the office. They'll probably follow you to see what's going on and if you care to you can tell her you don't appreciate their approach and then leave the place.

Really sucks that happened, car buying should be fun but often it's not thanks to suckholes like that.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the positive feedback guys, i've been thinking about the whole experience since last night and it just hasn't been sitting right with me at all, it's not that i wasn't prepared to take things slow and one step at a time it was that i wasn't in the right state of mind because i was just inquiring about the car, i should've maybe made my position more clear.. ah well, at least i know what to expect for next time

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I had a similar experience at a Toyota Lexus dealer a few years back. The sales reps were literally standing around talking with one another. I was looking at their cars in their showroom, climbing in and checking out their amenities, but it wasn't until I actually went to the sales receptionist and asked to talk to someone did one of the sales reps come and greet me. I found that very odd, not even a "Hello" even after making eye contact with a couple reps.

Fast forward to last weekend and my visit to MY Mazda dealership, I was offered (a free) coffee and was even entertained (idle chit-chat) by the financial manager. Kudos to Avante Mazda Toronto!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hey man, I got mine at Wantagh. They are good there, no pushing and no shoving. My experience with Huntington mirrors yours pretty closely - lots of fast talk and hurry.

I would say you should just tell Wantaugh that you found a car, its in Huntington and you want it but you didn't like their service and would rather buy it from them. Its called a dealer trade. They'll keep it on the DL since they want the sale (or you can tell them to cause they're good like that there).

This does 2 things: 1) It makes them realize that you're really interested in the car and they'll give more effort to get your business. 2) It shows that you're looking around and may have gotten a quote already so its more bargaining power in your favor.

The bad part: Huntington knows you're interested. If another dealer inquires about the car and a dealer trade, they might figure you're trying to deal through another dealer and refuse to trade the car.

Feel free to PM for more details, I spoke with someone else on LI about this before too!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Most dealers I've heard of won't do trades with other local dealers. Not much incentive to when they can just try to draw the buyer to thier lot instead.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
You could have had another dealer source that car for you, saving you the trouble of their staff.

NEVER sign legal documents if you dont understand them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wow, they really tried (successfully) to push you around at that dealership. :( It's truly a shame that you need this car ASAP, because they do NOT deserve your business. If at all possible, try to get your 3 from somewhere else. If you end up getting it from this bad dealership, then I think you should be brutally honest when filling out the customer survey. They'll want you to give them all 10's, but clearly they don't deserve it. Give them the numbers you honestly think they deserve, and they'll regret treating you the way they did.

It's easier said than done sometimes, but in certain situations you have to be very aggressive in letting the sales person know exactly what it is you want and expect from them. When I bought my 3, my salesperson -- who was mostly pleasant and competent -- flat out told me to my face that there were no 3i's within the 5-state region that had ABS, so I should just buy the 3i on their lot. I went home and called another local dealership, and found they had several 3i's with ABS on their lot. When I confronted my salesperson about this on the phone, all I got in response was *silence*. I ended up buying the 3 from him anyways, but when I fill out that customer survey, I'm going to give him one chance to explain and/or apologize for lying. Failing that I'm going to give some not-so-good scores on the survey.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Definitely send Mazda an e-mail about this crappy dealership. Maybe if enough people complain, Mazda will do something. If nobody says anything, then nothing will be done.

Kevin

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i called the manager an hour ago to speak with him and he hasn't called me back! %$%*$%%&$ it's like... now i really can't buy from this dealer if i have any dignity

·
Registered
14 Posts
King Chile,

I had a similar experience. I searched at www.mazdausa.com for a car with only the options I wanted. I called the dealer. He said he had them in stock and to come and take a look. It was like 40 miles away. I went and they don't have the car. They have just one manual car for display. They didn't get thier shipment yet. So, I give him the VIN number. He says, the car is at another *storage* location.

He fills out tons of forms, gets my personal information for a credit check, etc. He said he *needed* this to search for the car. It was all BS. I refused to sign anything, told them they were not trustworthy, and left. They weren't happy with what I had to say to them. But I told them anyways.

Went online and got a list of Mazda dealers. Started calling. I gave one dealer the VIN number of the car I wanted. He told it was on a boat coming to the US. Some *storage* location that dealer told me it was. Anyway, another dealer found one 3 hours away which I hadn't considered. He agreed to pick up the Mazda3 and give me a loaner if I didn't have it the next day. I get a call next day saying the car will be a day late and they offered me the loaner car. The following day, I went it and paid for the Mazda 3 and drove it home.

Moral/ Lesson of the story: Just because Mazda3 with just the options you want is not listed on the MazdaUsa website or on the dealer's lot, doesn't mean you can't get it. They have means if they know you will buy from them. Call around.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
bluntman said:
I had a similar experience at a Toyota Lexus dealer a few years back. The sales reps were literally standing around talking with one another. I was looking at their cars in their showroom, climbing in and checking out their amenities, but it wasn't until I actually went to the sales receptionist and asked to talk to someone did one of the sales reps come and greet me. I found that very odd, not even a "Hello" even after making eye contact with a couple reps.

Fast forward to last weekend and my visit to MY Mazda dealership, I was offered (a free) coffee and was even entertained (idle chit-chat) by the financial manager. Kudos to Avante Mazda Toronto!
That is what Lexus is supposed to do, that is their corporate culture, we did a case study on them a while back in our business school. They have the "no pressure" sales tactics. They wait till you need help before approaching you, not the reverse. I'd rather have that anyday then "attack of the commmisioned salesman" coming up to you even if you just want to look at the car.

Sorry about the bad experience King Chile. Not much I can give you advice on, but did you read www.carbuyingtips.com before walking into the devilship?

·
Registered
744 Posts
neomonkey said:
bluntman said:

That is what Lexus is supposed to do, that is their corporate culture, we did a case study on them a while back in our business school. They have the "no pressure" sales tactics. They wait till you need help before approaching you, not the reverse. I'd rather have that anyday then "attack of the commmisioned salesman" coming up to you even if you just want to look at the car.
Hell no, you can always say "just looking", but it is embarrassing sometimes asking someone for help that doesn't work there, done that one too many times at Walmart :p

The main reason that people want to be contacted by a sales person is because they want to feel as if their buisness is wanted. I have a friend that is black and I live in a prominently white suburb, of a prominently white city, of a prominently white state. When he went car shopping around where I live with the intention of buying a $40,000+ car and putting a hefty down payment on it, he didn't get any help from any of the dealerships. Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, and Mercedes/Jaguar all ignored him. He went to a Cadillac dealership and someone asked him if he wanted help within 5 minutes if being there. He drove away in a slightly used Seville SLS with all the trimmings. Granted his only decision to buy the car wasn't the salesman, but it sure helped.

·
Registered
232 Posts
rpc180 said:
Feel free to PM for more details, I spoke with someone else on LI about this before too!
I believe that would be me, my fellow Binghamtonian.....
Anyways, king chile i didn't know you were from long island...i had this strange feeling that you were from somewhere like Houston or something....but yes, rpc180 makes a good recommendation with Wantagh, but you could also try Great Neck....two very good dealerships who are friendly, with fairly knowledgeable dealers. The one closest to me, huntington, just gives you the impression that they're arrogant (although i did meet one dealer that was the nicest one of the bunch....i believe his name was wilson...i believe he's the only african-american there.....just in case you want to give huntington another shot)....but heck, if huntington does not have a strangle hold on you, then i suggest you go to the other dealers that rpc180 and i have mentioned.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I had a similar experience with crappy service when I went in for a test drive. Luckily, I was able to contact the web sales guy and bought the car through him. Funny thing is that the first dealer I worked with had my name, number, email, etc etc... but he never called me back. This was after we agreed that I would call him a couple days later. Definitely glad I cut ties with him.

Guess its a little late, but make sure you know what you're signing when you sign it. Even though I knew the price I was getting on the car before I came into the dealership to pay, I asked questions with every piece of paperwork and also asked my girlfriend to look over everything after I read and before I signed. Even when there was "internal paperwork" I had to sign, I made sure it was not a document that entitled me to buy the car since there were no numbers on it. I think I upset the web sales guy with the question, but I was there to buy a car, not buy a friend.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
neomonkey said:
That's true. I'd hate to be mauled at the dealership for service.
But at the same time, the "no pressure" sales tactic is a waste, in my opinion. I would atleast GREET the customer a bit, and if they don't want help, atleast you know. You plant the seed!

The scary thing about North American dealerships is that this whole idea of "making a sale" and "earning commission" can bring out the worst in people, even though they may be nice in real life.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts