Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So i just found out i'll be moving out of the country in a little less than 2 months. I don't know how long i'll be out there for but it'll be probably at least a year or so. Hence i must part ways with my dearly beloved.

I'm a first time car owner so i'm not exactly sure what steps i have to take to get this done. Can somebody either give me some tips or maybe offer some advice? I'm taking her in to get oil change/inspected and all that in a week. I figure I make sure she's in top shape.

I tried looking up the car in KBB but it's not listed yet. I don't even know how much i should sell it for. It's got around 3k miles on it... bought in october.

Sorry if i sound too noobish but i don't have any friends that own cars either (i live in nyc lol)

thanks!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
The car is a bit new to be listed in all the pricing books. You might have to make up a price yourself. (I mean the car has only been out a few months... I'd imagine you are one of very few people to sell the car).

I recently sold my car on Autotrader.com. Considering the car is still in demand, you might have good luck there (because you'll probably be the only used Speed3 on there). My advice with Autotrader would be to make your advertisement as detailed as possible and post some really nice pictures.

I would try Autotrader first... (because you get the best price if you sell it yourself) but if you get close to the deadline and you haven't sold it yet... you might want to look elsewhere. I put my car on Ebay actually, but didn't have much luck. Most people on Ebay are looking for a real bargain... and they will offer you crap for the car.

There's a place you can bring your car and they will appraise it for you and buy it from you. I can't remember the name right now... CarFax keeps coming to my mind... but that's a vehicle history place... can't remember (somebody on these boards will know). They don't offer you the same amount you could probably get privately... but I've heard they are reasonable (and a good way to sell a car quickly).

...I'll post again if I can remember the name...

·
Registered
314 Posts
The problem with selling it on ebay in that fashion is it's going to be problematic. Mainly because people purchasing it are going to need to get financing. Might get a lot of deadbeat bidders.

Speed3me is probably talking about Carmax! If a Carmax is close by I've heard a good thing or two about them also. You might have to owe them money, due to the negative equity on the vehicle, which could be a problem with you leaving the country. :/

G

·
Dealerships, and CarMax are only going to give you trade-in value for it, which is normally around $2K - $3K less than what they'd sell for privately. I'd put it on Ebay with a reserve set at what you owe for it, and put in a stern warning to the deadbeat bidders that they will be reported. Did you put money down? Did you roll any negative equity into the loan?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
[quote author=m3rz link=topic=71348.msg1254421#msg1254421 date=1173295099]
Speed3me is probably talking about Carmax! If a Carmax is close by I've heard a good thing or two about them also.[/quote]

Carmax! That's it! I was close. :) I've heard of some people getting decent money from them.

Like I said... my Ebay experience wasn't too pleasant. The good thing about Ebay is you get a really big audience because everybody knows Ebay. The problem is that a lot of people on Ebay are cheap and expect something for next to nothing. Also... a car is a big ticket item to buy online when you can't see it in person. And you spend all this time and money setting up an auction... but when the auction ends... it's over. You need to re-list it... and re-pay for it. I saw cars on Ebay with auctions that were open-ended... but I wasn't able to create one of those. I think only high-volume sellers can do that.

Autotrader took a little bit longer... but seemed to work for me. I must have gotten about 40 calls through Autotrader. It's annoying because a lot of people will call to ask about the car or even make an appointment and never show up.... but eventually you get some people who are interested. I sold my EVO VIII through Autotrader for about $5,000 more than my Mazda dealership offered me as a trade-in for the Speed3.

G

·
A friend of mine attempted to sell his Cadillac Fleetwood through Auto Trader. You wouldn't believe the outrageous responses he got. Lowballing, no-shows, and the extremely memorable "will you let me make payments on that?". He did eventually get it sold, but only after 30 - 40 wastes of his time.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Put it on Craigslist.com, it's free and it regional so people in your area would look at it. My brother put his focus up on craigslist and it was sold in 2 weeks...how much do you owe on it?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I tried craigslist first actually... and that was a mistake. I got the stupidest responses from people through craigslist. I had people calling me asking if I would sell the wing off my EVO... or if trade my car for a mustang... things like that. Craigs list is decent for selling small things like furniture and collectibles... also for apartments. At least in my experience... not a great place to sell a fairly new car.

EDIT: Yeah... but it is free... and I guess it basically can't hurt. It works for some people I guess... (not for me)

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Cl is great if you can write. Be prepared to deal with a lot of shit though.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[quote author=speed3wannabe link=topic=71348.msg1254491#msg1254491 date=1173297224]
Put it on Craigslist.com, it's free and it regional so people in your area would look at it. My brother put his focus up on craigslist and it was sold in 2 weeks...how much do you owe on it?
[/quote]

i still have about 16k to pay on it.

I was thinking of doing craigslist or posting in these forums first since they're free. Then i'll go and check out autotrader and what not. Also what do i have to do about license and registration?

I'm just hoping there are people out there that can plop down the whole price at once on this car.

G

·
Anyone with decent credit can get a bank loan for that car.....they'll likely use NADA pricing as their guide. You must have put a bunch of money down on it to only owe $16K, so you're in a good position as a motivated seller. If you're not trying to make a profit on it, you shouldn't have any problems selling it via Ebay, Craiglist, or the like.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[quote author=GimmeA3s link=topic=71348.msg1254829#msg1254829 date=1173304570]
Anyone with decent credit can get a bank loan for that car.....they'll likely use NADA pricing as their guide. You must have put a bunch of money down on it to only owe $16K, so you're in a good position as a motivated seller. If you're not trying to make a profit on it, you shouldn't have any problems selling it via Ebay, Craiglist, or the like.
[/quote]

yeah i put down a good chunk all right! lol

i'm thinking of around 22-23k what do people think? Is that low or high or just about right?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I am a wholesaler in AZ and there is no book whatsoever on our cars yet. considering the MSRP of 22800 on a sport and the fact that they are going for about 400 under brand new, I would make an attempt to sell for 21k-22k and see where that gets you. It is not new, but has under 7500 miles and is the current model year car, so someone can still get New car interest rates on it. you should try craigslist first because it is free. autotrader and cars.com are more for dealers to advertise, and are not as effective because there are so many cars. maybe you should start selling crack until you leave and pay it off. then you can park it in my garage.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[quote author=diablospeed link=topic=71348.msg1254898#msg1254898 date=1173306566]
I am a wholesaler in AZ and there is no book whatsoever on our cars yet. considering the MSRP of 22800 on a sport and the fact that they are going for about 400 under brand new, I would make an attempt to sell for 21k-22k and see where that gets you. It is not new, but has under 7500 miles and is the current model year car, so someone can still get New car interest rates on it. you should try craigslist first because it is free. autotrader and cars.com are more for dealers to advertise, and are not as effective because there are so many cars. maybe you should start selling crack until you leave and pay it off. then you can park it in my garage.
[/quote]

haha!

i actually have the GT model. After taxes and fees and all that crap the car came to almost 27k by asking for 23k that's not asking for too much right?

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
[quote author=BanKai link=topic=71348.msg1254932#msg1254932 date=1173307478]
[quote author=diablospeed link=topic=71348.msg1254898#msg1254898 date=1173306566]
[/quote]

haha!

i actually have the GT model. After taxes and fees and all that crap the car came to almost 27k by asking for 23k that's not asking for too much right?

[/quote]

Dunno if the laws differ down under or in NYC, but i THINK when buying via a personal sale, the BUYER when going to register their car has to pay tax on the purchase price of the vehicle or what its worth black/blue book value.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
very tempting, specially since i am around the corner.... but i wasnt ready to buy a speed 3 till may sometime, hmmm

good luck with the sale

·
Registered
639 Posts
Damn...this was unexpected! Sorry to see you have to let go of the car, but hopefully it's for the better, yeah?

Personally, I'd start asking in the $21-22k area (give or take), and see where how that goes. With others getting into brand new GTs for close to $23 now, starting at $23k sounds slightly high, regardless of the fact you paid $27k after taxes and fees. Your buyer will have to pay their own taxes after purchasing.

Demand is still pretty high it seems for the car, so I don't see any problems with it getting attention over online ads or whatever. Additionally, you've only got ~3k miles on it, which is equal to, if not better than, average.

Wish ya the best and keep us updated!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts