Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the PDX area and would like to get my windows tinted. Could someone tell me a place where there is a good quility tinting place at a reasonable price?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I recommend Elite Window Tinting at Mcloughlin Blvd. I had them put tint and clearbra paint protection film on three of my cars. They work on your car indoor inside the shop to prevent dust particles getting under the tint and/or clearbra. Give them a call (503-786-1020) and ask for Tad Ogland. He is the owner and does a great job. Tell him my name and that you found out about it on the forums and I'm sure he will give you a discount. My friend got a discount when he mentioned my name for tint on his BMW 335i :lol:

Lifetime warranty on the tints and 5 year warranty on clearbra.

I decided on the 3M Color-Stable tint because it is non-metal tint and will not interfere with cellphone, GPS, and Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

Here are some pics of the tint and clearbra:

Here are some close up pics:

Since these are really hard to see on the pictures, here is a picture with the area highlighted in red and green:

Here is Tad working on my friend's BMW:

The tint goes all the way up to the edge of the glass:

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
please post pic of ur mazda without tint i never seen a mazada 3 without tint!

·
Registered
333 Posts
[quote author=blankets3 link=topic=134140.msg2884707#msg2884707 date=1232691082]
please post pic of ur mazda without tint i never seen a mazada 3 without tint!
[/quote]

I don't have many pics of the car without tint because I drove the car straight from the dealership to the tint shop :)

Here are some pics without tint:

·
Registered
333 Posts
[quote author=danielj link=topic=134140.msg2884710#msg2884710 date=1232691187]
Khoi, you take great pictures!
[/quote]

thanks, I really like this picture of the BMW. what do you think?

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
The light and clarity make it a beautiful shot.

BMW might not like it though as it highlights the imperfection of the door to fender alignment.

·
Registered
333 Posts
[quote author=danielj link=topic=134140.msg2884737#msg2884737 date=1232692513]
The light and clarity make it a beautiful shot.

BMW might not like it though as it highlights the imperfection of the door to fender alignment.
[/quote]

Hahaha, I didn't even notice the alignment issue... :lol:

The picture that you see here is not the full resolution, I shrunk it down for the post.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive been thinkin about getting a clear bra also.. just have to ask how much it cost :shock:
but i will in def be getting tint!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I hate how you can see the line in the clear bra. Besides, I'd have to clear bra the whole hood because rocks don't discriminate where they hit the MS6. A couple bottles of touch up paint FTW.

·
Registered
333 Posts
[quote author=ms3_rockerluv link=topic=134140.msg2885350#msg2885350 date=1232727747]
Ive been thinkin about getting a clear bra also.. just have to ask how much it cost :shock:
but i will in def be getting tint!
[/quote]

Clearbra is awesome. I bought my car and drove it straight from the dealership to the shop to have clearbra and tint put on. I will always get clearbra on a brand new car from now on. I don't have to bother with touch up paint (I suck at putting on touch up paint). At first I thought this was just too expensive, but after researching and finally got it on my car, I totally think it is worth it and highly recommend it.

3M and Clearshield are two good companies that make these type of "clearbra" polyurethane paint protection film material. And then there's tons of different distribution companies that cut these material into the correct pattern to fit our cars. In this case, I know Elite Window Tinting is certified to use both Clearshield and 3M materials, but Tad told me that Clearshield is superior to 3M. So I had him install Clearshield material to the hood, fender, front bumper, side mirrors, door edges, and top of rear bumper. I got some free scrap pieces from the shop and applied them onto the rocker panels area behind each wheels and the hatch opening area.

Applying the paint protection film yourself is not hard if done on flat surfaces. But for curved surfaces, it gets complicated and tricky (glue down one side and stretch film evenly over the curve to avoid creases); I recommend having it done by a professional installer. Having the front area professionally installed was well worth the money spent because if you mess up, you will have to throw away the paint protection film and get new ones. Also with most professional installers you will get 5 year warranty to never peel off or fade or turn yellow.

Also be careful with the cheap stuff being sold on ebay because they are of lower quality and will turn yellow pretty fast. I have also read that some of the cut patterns doesn't fit correctly even though they are said to be cut for our mazda3.

From what I remember, Elite Window Tinting listed price is $399 for the basic clearbra (just the front area) and $799 for the complete clearbra package. They had to cut a custom piece for the top of the rear bumper on my car. Tad gave me a huge discount because I did both tint and clearbra at the same time.

Just give them a call and ask to speak with Tad. Tell him that I recommended you to him and I am pretty sure he will give you a discount :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
[quote author=triplejumper18 link=topic=134140.msg2885436#msg2885436 date=1232729311]
I hate how you can see the line in the clear bra. Besides, I'd have to clear bra the whole hood because rocks don't discriminate where they hit the MS6. A couple bottles of touch up paint FTW.
[/quote]

You CAN clearbra the WHOLE hood if you wanted. However it is NOT cheap :p

I don't think the line is that bad. Unless you stand closer than 2-3ft from the car, it's practically impossible to see the line. I would rather live with the line and knowing that the paint is fully protected. I read somewhere that they tested with gravel shooting at the clearbra going 100mph and it bounced right off and didn't damage the paint :)

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Go to Apex Restoration out in Beaverton. http://www.apexrestoration.net/ Ask for John and tell him you are a Mazda3forum member and tell the Lance sent you. He'll cut you a deal . He did my car and wife's Pilot plus clearbra on hers. I still haven't done mine :( I'll be there actually tonight to check out some wheels he has for sale :)

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
[quote author=khoi link=topic=134140.msg2885741#msg2885741 date=1232736566]
[quote author=triplejumper18 link=topic=134140.msg2885436#msg2885436 date=1232729311]
[/quote]

You CAN clearbra the WHOLE hood if you wanted. However it is NOT cheap :p

I don't think the line is that bad. Unless you stand closer than 2-3ft from the car, it's practically impossible to see the line. I would rather live with the line and knowing that the paint is fully protected. I read somewhere that they tested with gravel shooting at the clearbra going 100mph and it bounced right off and didn't damage the paint :)

[/quote]
Yes you can do the whole hood but it's the larger film size that costs more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts