Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story short, my wife was in an accident and someone hit her from behind. The rear bumper was damaged, and we also noticed that the SRS system light was on indicating a malfuntion. We assumed a sensor was damaged in the accident, and the car went into the shop with the other persons insurance covering the cost(they would cover the SRS issue after diagnosis came back that it was caused by the accident).

Report comes back that the car is finished, but that the airbag issue will not be covered under the accident, since they did diagnostics and said that there is a problem with the "ohms" in the passenger airbag module, and that this could not have been caused by the accident.

So I call the service center to see what this is going to cost, and the guy laughs...yes laughs, and says it's going to be about $1000. I ask for the number for mazda USA, talk to a guy on the phone, and says he is going to call the dealer, and then call me back later.

Here is my problem with this. It is a HECK of a coincidence that the light came on right at the same time of the accident. I know crazier things have happened, but this does bring up a big flag for consideration. Secondly, yes the car is out of warranty (04 with about 65000 miles), but when I did a google search, I found all sorts of airbag system issues related to the 04, indicating there may be a manufacturing issue. Third, I can understand if something was wrong mechanically, how do they know I didn't thrash the hell out of the car, but this is a part that just sits in the dash, which I have absolutely zero control over what happens with it, and this part can't even last 5 years and 70k miles?! The warranty is what it is, but I think Mazda needs to stand behind their product a little more. This is clearly a case of a defective part, unless Mazda is only putting in airbag modules designed to last 4 years.

Lastly, if this is the kind of garbage components and big repair bills I can expect from this car now that it's out of warranty, I may be better off just rolling this stupid car off a cliff and buying something that is NOT a mazda.

Any advice on this specific issue, or in dealing with Mazda USA?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't know about dealing with Mazda...........I simply wouldn't have accepted the car back after it was supposedly repaired 100%. If it wasn't like that before then they didn't repair it correctly. You should have called your insurance co. and advised them it wasn't fixed correctly and you are not accepting it.

if you've already accepted it, then you have to fight them (insurance co and repair shop).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts