1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so here's the setup.

3 PC's connected to a switch
1 Laptop connected via Wireless FIOS modem/router

all four computers are on the same workgroup called (MSHOME). the 3 PC's can each see all of the computers on the network including the laptop. the laptop however cannot see any of the other computers. i'm trying to add a network printer thats connected to one fo the PC's to the laptop but the laptop cannot see the printer! what am i doing wrong??

·
Banned
13,838 Posts
I find a lot of the time with the home network, computers see each other off and on. On the laptop, try typing in one of the computers names with a \\. Such as \\DESKTOP-1 and see if you can view its shared folders. You may be able to access the printer that way.

·
Banned
13,838 Posts
Go onto the desktop that has the printer connected to it. Right-click on my computer, click on properties. If you're in xp, click the tab called computer name. Write down the full computer name.

If you're in vista, right-click computer, click properties, and write down the name beside Computer name:.

Now on the laptop, open my computer/computer. Click on the address bar(where it says my computer). and type in \\nameofthecomputer

If theres no problems it should bring back the shared folders on that desktop, and hopefully the printer.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh duh! i could have figured that one out! :lol: ok i'll try it. if indeed that works and i am able to see the printer, how do i go about adding it w/o using the add a printer wizard?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
[quote author=weaselnoze link=topic=110419.msg2276717#msg2276717 date=1209584682]
idk what that means! lol
[/quote]

Are the computers all running windows? If so, click the start button and select "Run" from the menu. In the Run dialog box type "cmd" (without quotes). Once the DOS terminal comes up type "ipconfig /all" look to see what your IP address is. Do the same on another machine. First make sure that they are all in the same range (ie: 192.168.1.xxx). If so, copy down one IP address and on the second machine type "ping ENTER_FIRST_IP_HERE". (replacing the ENTER_FIRST_IP_HERE with the actual IP of the first machine, ex: ping 192.168.1.57). If you receive a reply, then that means that the 2 machines can communicate properly. If you can do this between all 4 machines, then the issue has something to do with the Windows shares, because on the hardware level, all machines are visible to eachother.

·
Banned
13,838 Posts
It depends on how the printer was setup. But what i usually did at base borden was id go into control panel, click on printers and faxes. Id click add new printer. Select local printer, and uncheck "Automatically detect and install my plug and player printer" and click next. Select Create a new port, and on the drop down box make sure it says Standard TCP/IP Port. Click next, type in the IP Address (note the printers at the military base had all the IPs on them, you might be able to find that in the properties of the printer if you go through the control panel on the desktop thats directly connected). Then itll ask for drivers. Click on have disk, and browse to where the driver installer/file is.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
[quote author=agm_ultimatex link=topic=110419.msg2276781#msg2276781 date=1209585709]
It depends on how the printer was setup. But what i usually did at base borden was id go into control panel, click on printers and faxes. Id click add new printer. Select local printer, and uncheck "Automatically detect and install my plug and player printer" and click next. Select Create a new port, and on the drop down box make sure it says Standard TCP/IP Port. Click next, type in the IP Address (note the printers at the military base had all the IPs on them, you might be able to find that in the properties of the printer if you go through the control panel on the desktop thats directly connected). Then itll ask for drivers. Click on have disk, and browse to where the driver installer/file is.
[/quote]

This won't work. because it isn't actually a network printer. It's a printer connected to a computer locally, which is then shared over the network. Creating a new TCP/IP port will only work if the printer has it's own IP address.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts