Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i filled my tank about a little more than a week ago for the first time. ( i just recently got my car ) After filling it i did the trip thing so i can see how many miles i get to a tank. Surprisingly i only got close to 200 miles till the gas gauge was one little noch till empty. That seems pretty horrid. The mazda3 tank only holds 14 gallons correct? That puts me at about 14MPG when i should be getting somewhere in the 20's.

so, how much farther could the gauge have gone with gas? Would i stil be good with it going a little farther than empty? Any idea why i've gotten such bad MPG? Thanks

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
You haven't given us enough info.

- what kind of driving (city/freeway)
- how many gallons did you actually put in
- auto or stick
- tire pressure readings
- mods
- maintenance
- miles on the car

There are many factors that can determine your mpg.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
first off, the low fuel light comes on with about 2 gallons left, so if the light wasn't on yet, you only used 12 gallons at most. If you were not even close to empty, you may have used 9-10 gallons, which puts your mileage over 20mpg.
you need to calculate mileage the right way to be sure...fill up and see how much it takes.

as spikey mike says, other factors (model, wheels, tires...) can be affecting mileage too.
You might not be able to expect more than low 20's around town, although highway mileage should be much better.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm.... Well let's see. I'm driving a 2004 mazda3 hatchback.

1. I'm driving city
2. I'm guessing i filled it up all the way last time because the pump stopped actually putting in gas.
3. Automatic
4. Not sure about my tire pressure readings.
5. No mods
6. Maintenance. That's the thing. I just bought the car so i'm actually unsure of how it's been kept. What do you suggest i do to help out the car?
7. Car has almost 54k miles.

So from what john says, when the needle actually gets the the empty pump sign, i've still got 2 gallons in the car?

Again about the maintenance... I was thinking about getting the whole engine kinda... flushed i guess.
- Fuel Injection
- Fuel Induction
- Change transmission fluid
- tune up
- fuel filter ( i was told in order to do this the fuel pump has to be changed? )

Thanks for the help guys. So what do you all think?

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Changing all the fluids is probably a good idea. Don't bother with the fuel filter though, the one in there is designed to last the life of the car. Definitely check on your tire pressures, they should be in the 32-34psi range while cold (meaning, check the pressures in the morning before driving more than a mile on them).

Unfortunately, 2.3L engine + city driving + automatic transmission is probably the worst combination possible as far as trying to get good gas mileage. Also, taking short city trips will always yield subpar MPG because the engine is less efficient while it's still warming up... which can take awhile in cold weather. I average between 18-20 MPG doing mostly city driving during the winter, but it gets better in the summer... yet I get upwards of 30MPG easily during longer freeway trips. Those are pretty average numbers.

EDIT: also, your own gas mileage (based on the info you provided) is actually ~16.6MPG, not 14.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'll go check out the tire pressure sometime soon. I'm going to get someone to do all the fluid changing soon as well.

How did you get ~`16.6MPG? Don't you do 200/14? >_> Maybe i'm wrong....

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
[quote author=skinticket link=topic=135557.msg2918656#msg2918656 date=1233971175]
[/quote]

You need to see how many gallons you actually put in the car, don't guess. Look at the gas pump next time. Just because it stops putting gas doesn't mean you pumped 14 gallons. You look at how many gallons you put in and then divide the number of miles you actually drove on that tank to determine mpg.

Ex. If you drove 200 miles and you put in 10 gallons at the pump, you are getting 20mpg. Drove 250 miles and put in 10 gallons, 25mpg.

At 54K and an automatic, you should:

- get automatic trans fluid changed
- replace air filter
- check your tire pressure (stock is 32psi)

For reference, my car is an 05 auto and gets about 24-26mpg city, which is what factory rates it at.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=spikeymike link=topic=135557.msg2918710#msg2918710 date=1233972431]
[quote author=skinticket link=topic=135557.msg2918656#msg2918656 date=1233971175]
[/quote]

You need to see how many gallons you actually put in the car, don't guess. Look at the gas pump next time. Just because it stops putting gas doesn't mean you pumped 14 gallons. You look at how many gallons you put in and then divide the number of miles you actually drove on that tank to determine mpg.

Ex. If you drove 200 miles and you put in 10 gallons at the pump, you are getting 20mpg. Drove 250 miles and put in 10 gallons, 25mpg.

At 54K and an automatic, you should:

- get automatic trans fluid changed
- replace air filter
- check your tire pressure (stock is 32psi)

For reference, my car is an 05 auto and gets about 24-26mpg city, which is what factory rates it at.
[/quote]

ok so let's see. I guess i'll give it one more round of gas. Today i went to fill it. Like i said, the gauge was at the small little node right before hitting the empty sign. I filled it up and it only put in 11.6 gallons. So that means i had roughly 2.4 gallons left in the car right? I'm assuming now i have about the full 14 gallons.

EDIT: wow i totally had it wrong about how many miles i'm getting to the gallon. So yeh. i did about ~16.8 this time.

·
Registered
212 Posts
That's still kinda low. I get about 25.5 MPG City...

I'm driving an 06 Mz3 @ 65k Miles.

I did about 310 Miles on a full Tank. It seemed kinda low to me.. so here's 1 thing I did .. I readjusted my ebrake, turns out that the back pads were rubbing against my tires ... I fixed that today, my car is running beautifully now... check it, maybe that'll help.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeh 16.8 mpg is still pretty freaking bad. What i'm going to do is:
1.) Check my tires
2.) Change some fluids and do those flushes, w/e

When getting those done i'm probably going to ask to see if there are any leaks anywhere or check to see if he can fnd anything wrong.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
skinticket, i am getting the EXACT same mileage in my 2.0 sedan........... AND MINE IS AN 08(and atx with 9600+miles)!!!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
o_o i hope this isn't a problem or anything, i mean it shouldn't. Crazy that you are getting that for an 08, i wouldn't know what could be the problem with such a new car... ( not saying there is )

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
[quote author=skinticket link=topic=135557.msg2919044#msg2919044 date=1233986751]
o_o i hope this isn't a problem or anything, i mean it shouldn't. Crazy that you are getting that for an 08, i wouldn't know what could be the problem with such a new car... ( not saying there is )
[/quote]

i know. i even had them do diagnostics on mine. it is my city driving with our ethanol mix gas that is killing my mileage.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
A lot of places get REALLY crappy winter blend gas, which our cars are especially sensitive to. My gas mileage since november has been drastically worse than it normally is. There are a few threads about that specific issue floating around, it's likely a contributor.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
well, me and skinticket are from florida where there is a law of 10% ethanol being in our gas here year-round. i know it kills my(our) mileage for a fact.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts