·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote author=Alec Trevelyan link=topic=178557.msg3776590#msg3776590 date=1282840464]
No, because we don't know what's in your PC currently.
[/quote]
The first link is what's in my PC currently...like I mentioned. I re-edited the first message so that it's a bit more clear.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Yeah it'll work, but what are you planning on doing with it?

Unless you are running a seriously heavy duty video card, you don't need 550w, crap you don't need 420w even. My current system with a core 2 dual OC slightly and a 5570 ticks over at 121w at full bore with both cores at 95+% and the GPU core at 95+%. Idle is about 61w. That is from the wall, or about 50w at idle from the PSU and around 100w from the PSU at full bore.

A quad core processor and a 5770 probably isn't going to see you drawing more than about 200-250w on the high end and even a 5870 probably won't see you edge up over 350w.

You really need one of the higher draw Nvidia cards, a 5970 or multiple cards in SLI/crossfire or a serious, serious overclock to need more than about a 400/450w PSU.

Getting a PSU more powerful than what you need is a waste of money and efficiency. PSUs are most efficient between 20-80% of their rated power output. Even a high end computer isn't likely to draw more than about 80-90w at idle on the high end and that is where is spends 70+% of its time, is idle.

So a 550w PSU means you should have a computer sized for about a 110w idle or higher and no more than 440w max output (for efficiency and cooling reasons). This means you are running a quad/hexa core processor, with an overclock and a GTX480 or 5970 video card in there.

Honestly, look for another 400odd watt output PSU that is 80 plus rated or better yet bronze rated. This means it is more efficient than other PSUs.

It doesn't mean much if you rarely use your computer, but if you leave it on all the time, or a lot, even with it in sleep/hibernation a lot, or a lot more so if you don't leave it in a low power state a lot you are going to save a fair amount of money over time. A 550w PSU vs a 400w 80 plus bronze rated PSU at idle 24/7/365 is probably going to save you $10-15 a year on electricity and a lot more if you run it at higher power levels, such as doing folding at home or seti at home all the time when you aren't using it for other things (then probably more like $30-40 a year in electrical bills).

Just some thoughts.
-Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts