Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought all new infinitys for my 07 m3 sadan. What I want to know is if there is already a crossover in the car that i just need to take out and replace, or if i have to rewire for a crossover. I know it a simple concept but I don't want to just jump in and get something wrong. I think the main reason i'm confused is becuase there is already wiring to front speakers and to the tweeters. Isn't that what a crossover is supposed to do, seperate the audo for high, medium, and low?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I assume you mean that you bought a set of Infinity component speakers, and you're referring to their included crossovers? If so, here's what to do:

1. Remove stock midbass and tweeter (if your car came with the 6-speaker system).
2. Connect Infinity crossover to connector the midbass was plugged into.
3. Run new wires from crossover to new Infinity midbass and tweeter.

If you had factory tweeters, you can reuse the sail panels with your Infinity tweeters. The factory tweeters just clip into the sail panels; pull them out, stick the Infinity tweeters in and use a little bit of hot glue to secure them (the clips won't hold the Infinity tweeters in).

A crossover takes a full-range signal and separates it into frequency bands for separate speakers. It's what keeps your tweeter from (trying) to play low frequencies, and your woofer from playing high frequencies. The 3 doesn't have any built-in crossovers; the midbasses in the doors are actually full-range, and if you have factory tweeters they have a built-in high-pass filter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok i kinda thought thats the way it would be after I asked the question, but its still good to know for sure. Anyway, is 18 guage wire ok for all that or should I use something different?

Thants for the quick response! That is very helpful!

Oh, do I have to do anything with the stock tweeter wire?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I'd use 16 gauge, 18 is just a little too small for my taste.

Nope, you don't have to do anything with the little pigtail for the stock tweeter. Just tuck it out of the way and ziptie it down so it doesn't rattle.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
no you don't need to do anything with the stock tweeter wire, and 18 ga wire is probably ok if you aren't running some serious amplification (100 watts RMS or more per channel). If you have 16 ga available it sure wouldn't hurt to use it though.

other then that, jsut follow DrWebster's advise and you won't have any problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Lots of good help here.

I know this is kind of off subject and maybe more of a project than I wanna tackle right now but which would you guys preffer.
I have an amp and subs that I got from a buddy. (unsure of the quality) But would you run the amp to the speakers, or would you use the subs?

In either case what is the process with running the amp to the speakers? Is that far more difficult? And what specs would I need from the amp, HU, and wire to make that work properly with these speakers?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The amp is probably designed to run the subs more than the speakers, and I think subs will get you more bang for your buck anyway. WHat brand and model are the amp and subs?

·
Registered
76 Posts
i'm just curious i just bought my 680.7 cs do i need any other hardware i.e. wires to install the speakers? i bought some velcro and have all the tools i suppose

do i need extra wires? 16 gauge?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
you might need a small amount of wire to go from the xover to the speakers, I don't think the set comes with any spare wire - worth checking first though

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
No, it doesn't include any wire, which is really weird. You'll also want to buy some crimp-on terminals for the wires -- spades for connecting to the crossover, and female blade-type for connecting to the woofer/tweeter.

·
Registered
76 Posts
thank you automaticman and drwebster for your info. apprecitate it yes i did bought some wire to go with the install. I have tested the speakers on my car. they really do need some amplification any recommendations for an amplifier? i have gone with the advice of many previous posts and decided to get good components upfront. The thing is i know the front speakers need juice

what amplifiers do u reccomend. i hope to get equipment and installation materials everything under 200. Is that possible?

I would pay for installation. But i would go the D.I.Y. if i have some instructions.

please help thanks

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
The Infinity Reference amps seem to be a pretty good deal...I don't have one, but have a couple Infinity powered subs (BassLink in the car, powered sub at home) and their amps seem to do a pretty good job.

Another thing to consider is if you want to add a sub, would be to look into the BassLink II. It's a 250W powered sub, and has an option to install an add-in card that gives you a 4-channel, 50W RMS amp for your speakers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts