Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i need help, i went to begin the shift light install (equipment I picked up from LC on the board).... I tried to use the method found here http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=71691.0 but turns out it was the incorrect method for the setup I have, which unfortunately I did not realize until after the install.... so basically what is goin on is-

The method described in that thread, which is the only method i could find on the forum, describes installation for the gmr pickup module to a shiftlight that can be set for 1-8 cyl. It is picking up the singal from just one coil and thus you have to set the shift light up to 1 cyl so it will read the signal correctly.

I am using the MSD TACH SIGNAL SENDER model number 8913, which is made to read the voltage from all the coils of the the car, in this case all 4... and I did my fair share of searching and mostly everyone who has asked this has been told to go pick up the gmr pickup module and set the shift light to 1 cyl.... but that is not an option in my case as the prosport shiftlight I have will only do 4,6,8 cyl. So I was hoping if ANYONE could assist me in finding the proper wire to hook the msd 8913 module too I would very much appriciate it... Ive attached some pictures to help describe the method I did use described on the forums and this is the incorrect way for me, as I need to find the main ignition cable that goes to the control module and then to the ignition coils... thus getting all four of the coil readings from one wire to the msd.... can anyone please assist me in locating this? I tried to read some voltages on what I thought might the wire coming from the harness but no luck....

Edit: by the way this is being installed on my 07 mazdaspeed3

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just looked through the majority of the speed3 service manual and didnt find anything to really help me with this either.... please someone has to have some knowledge base about this haha

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
I tried to look if I had any pictures from the install but I guess I don't. i'd trying undoing the loom where the injectors end and keep tracing "up stream" if you will. where we tapped for mine can't be more than a couple of feet from the injectors. when you're done you just need to re-tape the loom back up. i'll see if i have any notes somewhere...

·
Registered
658 Posts
[quote author=revhigh link=topic=135685.msg2922516#msg2922516 date=1234145468]
why you needa shiftlight?
[/quote]

Would the answer you get from him contribute to helping him fix his problem?

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
considering its relevent to the thread, yes. now your question on the other hand..........

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha I appriciate the help, tomorrow im going to take some time to try and trace the wire, I just didnt really want to cut the loom apart but i guess thats no biggy. Was hoping someone on here might know for sure where they tap'd into the main ignition wire.... oh and I wanted the shift light because I hate looking at my gauge cluster while im at the track.

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
[quote author=Bounty44 link=topic=135685.msg2922901#msg2922901 date=1234156648]
haha I appriciate the help, tomorrow im going to take some time to try and trace the wire, I just didnt really want to cut the loom apart but i guess thats no biggy. Was hoping someone on here might know for sure where they tap'd into the main ignition wire.... oh and I wanted the shift light because I hate looking at my gauge cluster while im at the track.
[/quote]

Just start cutting the tape and unwrap it from the loom. No need to actually cut the plastic itself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts