Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving my speed3 for a year now. I have a few mods... exhaust, BOV, intake etc and once I put them on i truly find it harder to drive the car, like off the line. When i launch its impossible to not spin wheels unless im super gentle and i cant even lay into it in 2nd gear or i spin them even more... im def not car savvy which is why i need someone that knows their shit to kinda coach me how to launch this car. when i try to race it i feel like im not really even gettin anywhere due to all the wasted power going to wheelspin. can someone help me on specifics? what rpms to launch, how hard to release clutch and how hard to push pedal and when to shift out of 1st etc... email me at [email protected] i'd really appreciate it im frustrated about it honestly ha

· Registered
14,054 Posts
Alllllllrighty. Well launching comes with practice, we all know that. Right off the bat, the stock potenza's suck. They're good for going around corners and thats all. I launch around 3.2k and slip the clutch fast. I've gotten my '60s down the the LOW 2.0's. I can barely break 2nd loose with the Dunlop Direzza Z1's and I'm not stock.

Pedal to the metal everytime.

· Registered
763 Posts
ive got those dunlops for summer from what i hear they are good. back to op tires are really important

· Registered
25 Posts
The Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec tires will cure most if not all the problem. On your OEM 18 x 7 rim get 225/45 ZR18. Make sure you get them on all four corners as you don't want less grip on the rears, allowing the back end to swing around at critical times. These are summer tires like the stock Potenzas, so no cold weather winter use.

The grip is phenomenal and they are reasonablly priced, about $180 - $190 each.

· Registered
2,167 Posts
[quote author=andylipp link=topic=140304.msg3025548#msg3025548 date=1238375671]
on the stock rims? the dealership said they dont recommend it
[/quote]

the dealership won't recommend running a non-mazdaspeed CBE either. they're just covering their asses. 225/40/18 is a size that people have been running for a long time on our cars (on the stock rims), and it seems to work VERY well. be careful here, though...you want to avoid 225/45/18, because it actually has a chance to rub on the back fender. this varies from person to person, but i see more than a few people rubbing with 225/45/18. do a search in the tires section to see the details.

· Registered
81 Posts
[quote author=NoobInACan link=topic=140304.msg3025228#msg3025228 date=1238366742]
get wider tires 225 or 235's at least to get rid of wheel hop.
[/quote]

you DO know that number doesnt represent tire width. It represents the whole tire area and the second number is the percentage of area the sidewall takes up.

you need to keep the sidewall the same height to keep your speedometer and mileage correct.

· Registered
763 Posts
yeah i have 4 dunlops i cant wait to put them on. i got 225/45/18 on stock rim i hope i dont rub

· Registered
6 Posts
[quote author=BlackSpeed link=topic=140304.msg3026305#msg3026305 date=1238417713]
[quote author=NoobInACan link=topic=140304.msg3025228#msg3025228 date=1238366742]
get wider tires 225 or 235's at least to get rid of wheel hop.
[/quote]

you DO know that number doesnt represent tire width. It represents the whole tire area and the second number is the percentage of area the sidewall takes up.

you need to keep the sidewall the same height to keep your speedometer and mileage correct.
[/quote]

Right off of Tire Rack's website

Section Width
Following the letter(s) that identify the type of vehicle and/or type of service for which the tire was designed, the three-digit numeric portion identifies the tire's "Section Width" (cross section) in millimeters.

P225/50R16 91S

The 225 indicates this tire is 225 millimeters across from the widest point of its outer sidewall to the widest point of its inner sidewall when mounted and measured on a specified width wheel. This measurement is also referred to as the tire's section width. Because many people think of measurements in inches, the 225mm can be converted to inches by dividing the section width in millimeters by 25.4 (the number of millimeters per inch).

225mm / 25.4 = 8.86"

Sidewall Aspect Ratio
Typically following the three digits identifying the tire's Section Width in millimeters is a two-digit number that identifies the tire's profile or aspect ratio.

P225/50R16 91S

The 50 indicates that this tire size's sidewall height (from rim to tread) is 50% of its section width. The measurement is the tire's section height, and also referred to as the tire's series, profile or aspect ratio. The higher the number, the taller the sidewall; the lower the number, the lower the sidewall. We know that this tire size's section width is 225mm and that its section height is 50% of 225mm. By converting the 225mm to inches (225 / 25.4 = 8.86") and multiplying it by 50% (.50) we confirm that this tire size results in a tire section height of 4.43". If this tire were a P225/70R16 size, our calculation would confirm that the size would result in a section height of 6.20", approximately a 1.8-inch taller sidewall.

· Registered
1,157 Posts
well getting good summer tires will prevent wheel spin.

But the fact of the matter is...our car is a high torque FWD car...and that combo does not mix with launching. Our car is slow from a stop...period.

Unless you get some slicks...your not going to be compeating with RWD cars with the same amount of power.

· Registered
81 Posts
[quote author=halo0 link=topic=140304.msg3026769#msg3026769 date=1238431654]
[quote author=BlackSpeed link=topic=140304.msg3026305#msg3026305 date=1238417713]
you DO know that number doesnt represent tire width. It represents the whole tire area
[/quote]

:lmao:
[/quote]

apparently I was misinformed

:bag:

I guess thats what i get for listening to someone who worked at firestone. :slap:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.