Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so here's the deal...

I'm in need of some tires to replace the shitty excuse of a tire RS-A's. They will be used mostly for street, and (hopefully) once a month for auto-xing. I was looking at the SPT's, but from what I heard, they don't have the stiffest sidewall, and aren't that great compared to the MX's, which, then again, aren't that great either (this according to a local friend who does a ton of auto-xing in his E36 BMW). So, his opinions could be biased, since he drives a different type of car, and doesn't use them the same as me (does A LOT more tracking). So, what do you guys recommend? I don't want anything super expensive, but yet don't want some cheap-o's that'll last me 5,000 miles. Also, I want something that will last a bit, even though I'll be pushing them. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Kyle

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, keep in mind that they'll be used in Florida, so extreme summer tires could work (awesome wet/dry performance), since we don't see any snow, etc :D

·
Registered
782 Posts
Yokohama AVS ES100s have been good to me on my previous car (Acura CL Type S). They are grippy enough to hold a really nose heavy car on some tight on-ramps, but they still have decent treadwear and are relatively inexpensive (same price as SPTs on some online vendors).

I'm actually looking at replacing my tires with SPTs myself, as I've heard mostly good things about them. If you get 215/45/17s the lower sidewall might help with the sidewall flex.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
You have a couple of decent choices here. First is the BFG g-Force sport. It is a great summer performance tire. Plenty of grip and I know that rubyred has autocrossed on his. I have some other friends that I have sold those tires to that autocross as well. Another option is the more aggressive route. You could look at the Hankook Z212 RS-2 tires. These would be good in Florida where there is some rain but otherwise warm dry weather. These are my autocross tires and I would consider them as summer tires for me. The third choice is all in with something like the Falken RT615. Fine for street and autocross, but watch out in the rain. The BFGs should last 20-30K depending on your driving habits with the other two substantially below that.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Falkens would be my recommendation, for once-a-month autocrossing... They transform the on-limit car feel, especially in 225/45/17 size. Should be pretty cheap, and last about 15,000 miles (maybe less with autocross)

don't know what "super expensive" means to you, but Yokohama AD07, which is supposed to be the hot ST tire right now, goes for about $190...

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm going to look more into all of the ones you suggested once I get home (about to leave Jax to head back home), so I'll look into 'em, and post up any other ideas/questions I have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts