Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have looked and looked and may have over looked it somewhere but anyway i have a 2006 mazda 3i touring, stander tranny, i was on my way to work and i heard what sounded like a lifter ticking (i have to pull a steep mountain on the way to work it gets alot of cars) then started loosing power so down shifted cause this wasn't unusual i normally pull it in 4 and 5 gear running 60 to 70mph then had to shift to 3 then into second when i had to down shift to 3rd i knew something was wrong so i went to pull in the emergency vehicle turn around as i could not get over to the right side at which point engine shut off and now will not restart my father took the timing cover off thing i had slung the water pump chain and messed up the timing chain tensioners but that was all good then he removed the head and he said that the engine is fried that i got it to hot the gauge never got to the red line it was between the middle and red line when it shut off anyway the issue I'm running into is finding an engine at a reasonable price range because i was told that u have to base the engine in these cars off the 8th digit in the vin well the 8th digit in my vin is and f what i want to know is what other engine can i use to replace mine i know my car has alot of ford part and I've seen alit about replacing it with a 2.3 fusion engine but can i use a 2.0 focus motor I've found a few that have what looks to be the same but of course my sister has the same car bur heres is a hatchback and the 8th digit in heres is a 3 she also needs engine but we have been told that i need an f series and she needs a 3 series can anything b used in our cars other than whats in them with out alot of changes like just pulling the engines and replacing them or do we have to use the same vin digit engine Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What all will that require
You don't want a 2.0 or 2.3. Get a 2.5 Duratec out of a Ford and use that instead.
We change because we do NOT wanna have to spend a huge amount on alot of extras thats why im wondering like with mine where the 8th digit in vin is an f what other engine beside another the engine from another car with f can i use

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also i do not want a larger engine i want to keep my 4 cylinder engine i dont want to have to replace transmission and everything only want to replace engine no ecu wiring harness or all that just a simple engine swap is all either of us wants to do and i dont know why u would say that we dont want a 2.0 because my engine had 265k her engine had 205k on them so I'd say they where good engines mine would still be good had the water pump not gone out whit i forgot to mention in original post...

·
Registered
283 Posts
The 2.5 is just plug and play. It is also a 4 cylinder. Trans is the same. More power and more reliability.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 2.5 is just plug and play. It is also a 4 cylinder. Trans is the same. More power and more reliability.
So no vin number matching just get a 2.5 and swap them or do vins haves have to match i mean does the vins have to match on the 2.0s or will a 2.0 out of any car work cause everything I've read and been to is 2.0 has to be vin matched
I know the Mazda 2.0 u have to match the engine code but the fusion do i have to match the engine code where my engine code is an f would i need an f in the fusion engine or just any engine

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok im asking cause all the post i find are on a 2.3l to 2.5l swap nothing on a 2.0l to a 2.5l swap and i know the 2.3 to 2.5 there's alot of changes that have to b made and im just trying to figure out if its the same with a 2.0 to 2 5 or like u said just jerk other one out and put new one in no changing injectors valve covers intake all the good stuff i know im asking alot of questions but im trying to figure out the cheapest route

·
Registered
47 Posts
There’s a couple threads about successful 2.0 to ford 2.5 on other forums that have pretty good information. Even with the extra needed to go to a 2.5 I would still say it is the cheaper option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts