Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so looking for help from all you mechanics. here's the story:

we have a ford 1999 e-150 conversion van that has been sitting since 2004. it has a ford 5.4L V8. the motor is EFI at each port and has COP ignition. now... while it was sitting since 2004 it had oil in it, and a bit of fuel in the tank and lines... first things i did before starting it for the first time were to get a new battery, drain the gas tank, change the fuel filter, change the oil and filter, and then put 10 gallons of gas and a can of seafoam in the tank... when i first started it the motor was having issues starting and idling. it would try to start but it had like no ignition. once i got it started trying to rev it would make it sputter and die... so i changed the plugs. it now starts easily. however the motor still idles rough and any sudden change in throttle while in park causes the motor to chug and sputter. if it is in gear and throttle position changes suddenly the motor sounds like it's knocking.

any ides? im thinking the injectors are clogged with varnished fuel. when i pulled the plugs they deffo smelled like varnish. second possibility is dead coils causing weak spark.

thoughts?

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
Make sure a field mouse or some other furry little bastard didn't try to make a nest under the hood and chew up some of the vacuum lines. Clogged EGR system, or idle air control valve also come to mind.

Why was the van sitting for 6 years anyways?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
engine bay is pretty clean. it was in a driveway. it was sitting cus it got sideswiped by a tractor trailer. went to the body shop and the guy screwed it up, already bought a newer one to replace it, so we said screw it, took it home and it sat.

·
Registered
347 Posts
With sitting for 6 years, your gonna want to clean up most of the intake, pull the IAC clean it, MAF, TB (do not scuff, use a cleaner I heard ford released one for cleaning TB blades specifically), and EGR may be stuck open.

If you decide to try new coils, "Global Auto" on ebay is one source for COPS that have a decent track record, at least better than ACCEL or other aftermarket coils.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info re the coils.

i have yet to pull it apart and clean the intake stuff but i was tinkering with it today. got a couple vids of symptoms but youtube isn't letting my upload right now...

however i found that if i unplug the MAF, it behaves exactly the same... i unplugged the maf and it started right up, i was like uh wtf... when i rev it, it does the same thing. so i dunno...

edit: here's the vids

0719001941.3g2

0719001945.3g2

·
Registered
347 Posts
Unplugging the MAF will put you into a default loop basing fuel trims off of what the computer has left to work with, default values and TPS. You've eliminated MAF as the culprit (cleaning wont hurt it still it has sat.)

What is your FP @ the rail (schrader valve sample port on passenger side of rail) just out of curiosity.

It almost acts like its a completely dry cylinder or two, you might be looking for injectors. Even when you've got her spinning high rpms, it sounds like its missing two or so. Ebay was a decent source for injectors, more so for the 19# ones my truck use to use until I did the lightning swap and run 42#

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FP is:

key on, 34psi
idle, 30psi
wot, 40psi

so im guessing the injectors are gummed to hell...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts