Mazda3 Forums banner

Need an opinion on sound system

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Dave4696 
#1 ·
Hey Fellas, So I'm trying to upgrade my sound system and I'm having to do it piece by piece due to funds ( I'm an old dude with two in college at the same time) . So I've upgraded the 4 door speakers and My wife just bought me a Cerwin-Vega Powered Sub (specs below)which I'm going to install this weekend. This is where I need your opinion. Will this powered sub sound better mounted under the seat or in the trunk? Now remember, I'm an old fu---r and I cant stuff the trunk with 2 12's! so this the only workable option. Tell me what you think. Also, I wanted to upgrade the head unit and was looking at a double din pioneer unit, the FH-S722BS. Basic, but cool and somewhat cheap. But now I find that I need this PAC RP4-MZ11 wiring interface just to install the head unit, which is a hundred bucks which is almost as much as the head unit! (Before you start talking smack, do you have any idea how expensive it is to have to girl's in a California University at the same time?!? This is why a hundred bucks may be a game changer on the head unit.) Anyway, do you guys have any ideas on a work around for the interface or maybe something that might be less expensive or maybe someone has one for sale??

As always Thanks in advance for the help, advice and support!

DW

(here's the specs- Model VPAS10V2, Power -200W RMS/550W MAX, Distortion - THD (1KHz@4Ω) <0.4%, Distortion - S/N Ratio (A weight @ 1W) > 90dB, Frequency Response 30Hz – 150KHz, Input Sensitivity High 0.9V, Input Sensitivity Low 300mV, Low Pass Filter 85Hz – 150Hz, Bass Boost 0 to + 12dB Subsonic Filter 30Hz, FUSE Ratings – 25A

See less See more
#2 ·
As far as where to mount the sub, just play with it, moving it around until you find what sounds best.

And yes, the only two interfaces that allow you to keep the display are the PAC RP4-MZ11 or the iDataLink Maestro RR. And yup, they are about the same price. The PAC is a more universal interface that works with almost every stereo, the iDataLink prefers specific radios, but is a bit more complete system, provided you have the right radio. The iDataLink can even do full gauges, right on the face of the radio!

You absolutely do want one of those interfaces though, because not having steering wheel controls sucks! (Yeah, I know, First World Problems)

Anyway, good luck with the install, if you look under my name, you can see the install I did in my 2004.

#3 ·
I added a new Head unit on the cheap. I may have spent $100 ona Kenwood and put a 10" powered Rockford sub in the trunk. Works great, sounds way better even with the stock speakers front and rear. I cant image how much fun it would be with new full range speakers.

Reactions: gerrywheel
#4 ·
now I find that I need this PAC RP4-MZ11 wiring interface just to install the head unit
Why do you think you need the PAC RP4-MZ11? While I believe the PAC has CAN capabilities for the LCD (radio display, changing settings?), I've successfully used the Metra 70-7903 and 70-7903T (with some wires tweaked) harness adapters, plus the Axxess ASWC-1 steering wheel control adapter for my 2006 3 S. The LCD doesn't show radio info with this budget method, but I still keep the LCD (shows ambient temp and MPG calculator), and I use the 70-7903T to hot-plug the OEM stereo to configure the LCD when my battery is disconnected.

#6 ·
The 70-7093T was $15.43 (70-7903 was $7.09), and the Axxess was $28.38. Probably about $45 with tax. Crutchfield shaves the price down on accessories with a stereo purchase. You're right that it's clunky to set the DIS and ambient temp units, but I rarely have to do that. I'm just asking the guy why he thinks he needs the PAC, and I'm suggesting an alternative to consider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.