Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm coming from an Eonon GA9151b and more recently GA9451 for my gen 1. It's been quite frankly one of the worst experiences with technology I've ever had. They are extremely underpowered and overpriced. Honestly, I should've known. My GA9151b is dead, hence why I have the newer model, the GA9451, which somehow performs even worse, so I'm returning it. To replace it I'm considering getting one from Joying, but I'm concerned that it might be more of the same, considering it ships from a Chinese warehouse (literally says that on the product page) and Eonon is a Chinese company, which leads me to suspect that Joying is as well, though I haven't had the time to research it. Have any of you tried this model and what are your experiences with it? Is this something I should avoid?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Eonon, Erisin, Joying, Atoto, Autopumpkin, insert stereo you've never heard of here, all come off of exactly the same Chinese garbage, all made by the same company, Shenzhen Klyde, and come off of the same crappy assembly line, with no regards to QA/QC in the slightest.

Do yourself a huge favor and get something from a reputable company: Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, Sony, JVC.

I was an Alpine fanboy since the 80's, but I run Kenwood Excelons now. I have a DDX8905S in my CX-5, a DDX8706S in my Mazda5, and a DMX7705S in my Silverado. They are much better than the factory decks, and about 100X better than those absolute garbage "factory look" units.

I do love the idea of the Chinese decks. So much so I tried three different ones in my Mazda3 until I just couldn't stand them anymore.

When you use the correct iDataLink or PAC interface with a Kenwood, you still retain the steering wheel controls, and you even get to keep the digital display. So don't let that worry you.

This is a pic of the Kenwood in my wife's Mazda5. She's using the PAC RP4-MZ11 interface, and as you can see, the display works fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eonon, Erisin, Joying, Atoto, Autopumpkin, insert stereo you've never heard of here, all come off of exactly the same Chinese garbage, all made by the same company, Shenzhen Klyde, and come off of the same crappy assembly line, with no regards to QA/QC in the slightest.

Do yourself a huge favor and get something from a reputable company: Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, Sony, JVC.

I was an Alpine fanboy since the 80's, but I run Kenwood Excelons now. I have a DDX8905S in my CX-5, a DDX8706S in my Mazda5, and a DMX7705S in my Silverado. They are much better than the factory decks, and about 100X better than those absolute garbage "factory look" units.

I do love the idea of the Chinese decks. So much so I tried three different ones in my Mazda3 until I just couldn't stand them anymore.

When you use the correct iDataLink or PAC interface with a Kenwood, you still retain the steering wheel controls, and you even get to keep the digital display. So don't let that worry you.

This is a pic of the Kenwood in my wife's Mazda5. She's using the PAC RP4-MZ11 interface, and as you can see, the display works fine.

View attachment 106119
Thanks for the info on the Chinese crap. That's good to know. As for the other part, while that's an awesome idea in theory and I'd absolutely love to get something like that, particularly a Kenwood, the practice of it is a little more difficult. I don't really have a lot of cash to play with, really only about what I paid for what I have, and adding another $100 to that for a SWC interface is exorbitant to me. Am I hitting a brick wall, then? If I want that level of functionality, is there really nothing but Chinese garbage at that price point, and I'll just have to find a way to pony up the cash?

A few other somewhat random but related thoughts...
  • Kenwood's product names/numbers are incredibly confusing. Their website, from what I could see, has no way to search by vehicle compatibility, which makes product shopping essentially pointless. Is there any help you could give me there?
  • I'm looking to (almost) NDA whatever I get because I'm going to need the navigation for a trip I'm going on next weekend, but every single Kenwood product I've looked at is out of stock. Is that just me, or do you see a solution around this?
  • Do Kenwood devices support Android functionality? The Eonon is basically and Android tablet. I can access the Play store which is awesome because it not only allows me to use Google Maps, not some proprietary mapnav program, but also download a speedometer overlay that I use to better judge my speed (my dashboard speedometer is slightly off), and I appreciate being able to listen to music using Poweramp on the radio itself rather than Bluetooth casting from my phone. I'd really like to get something like this.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I got all three of my Kenwoods from the eBay seller regencytechnologies. Fact is, the one in my Silverado, I paid less than $140 for!

They do Android Auto, which in a car, is absolutely far more useable than "pure" Android. AA gives you everything you need, in a super legible font that is important to see at a glance when you're doing 70mph, and nothing you don't. You can easily use Waze or Google Maps for your navigation, no problem.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Kenwood's numbers start to make sense once you figure them out.

DDX: Double DIN, Disc, Excelon
DNX: Double DIN, Navigation, Excelon (has Garmin built in)
DMX: Double DIN, Mechless (nondisc drive, I use a thumb drive anymore anyway), Excelon

First number is the series 9 being top of the line, 8 is one step down, etc, etc.

Second number is for the tuner. 9 is for HDRadio, 7 is for standard.

Last two numbers are the revision, 1 being the oldest (about 2014), then the 2015 ends in 2, 3 is 2016, 4 is 2017, etc.

So, the deck in my CX-5 is a DDX8905S
Double DIN, Disc drive, one step under their flagship, with an HDRadio tuner, and it was made in 2018.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got all three of my Kenwoods from the eBay seller regencytechnologies. Fact is, the one in my Silverado, I paid less than $140 for!

They do Android Auto, which in a car, is absolutely far more useable than "pure" Android. AA gives you everything you need, in a super legible font that is important to see at a glance when you're doing 70mph, and nothing you don't. You can easily use Waze or Google Maps for your navigation, no problem.
I've literally never bought anything from eBay before, so I'm unfamiliar with how it works. I wasn't aware companies were allowed to sell products on that platform. I thought it was more of just a nation-wide Craigslist that could yield sketchy results sometimes. How exactly do I find what I'm looking for? Do they have a company page like on Amazon? And does it come with that faceplate that I see in your picture so I don't just have this massive hole in the middle of my center console?

And thanks for all your help, by the way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Check this one out I got one and love it Full Blpwn Android as well
Link V V V

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check this one out I got one and love it Full Blpwn Android as well
Link V V V
Thanks, it looks cool, but it also looks very suspect, a lot like the Chinese crap I've been wasting my money on. And because it's eBay, if it turns out to be crap, I can't exactly return it as far as I know. Can you point me to anything to make me trust the seller and device?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm looking at getting this from Crutchfield partially because I can get it right now, whereas basically everything else is out of stock, I'm guessing because of the chip shortage. On Boss's product page it doesn't list much for specs, so I'm concerned that it may have poor performance. It's also listed for $100 more on Boss's site than on Crutchfield and is listed as out of stock, also only on Boss's site. Furthermore, it doesn't come with an SWC harness, and from what I understand, those are at least $100 themselves. Adding another $100 to Crutchfield's price is too much for me. Is there somewhere I can get one for cheaper? I'm just generally not sure what to think about this idea and would appreciate recommendations and advice.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
You're wise for not wanting that Chinese piece of shit. The Boss, while better, still ain't much. But, and this is a huge but, you will have Crutchfield stand behind it. Crutchfield is a fantastic company.

eBay is just an online auction site. You register, find something you like, READ THE DESCRIPTION CAREFULLY, and then bid on it. If you win, them you pay the seller, usually using PayPal.

The seller then ships you the item. If the item you receive isn't as described (which is why you READ THE DESCRIPTION CAREFULLY), then you have the right to request a return for a refund.

I've been buying and selling in eBay since the 90's, as have millions upon millions of other people. It's perfectly cool.

And yes, there are lot of companies that have their online stores that operate via eBay.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The dash kit and wiring harness you'll have to get separate from radio (assuming you get one via eBay). Crutchfield would be perfect for this, even if you don't get your radio from them

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're wise for not wanting that Chinese piece of shit. The Boss, while better, still ain't much. But, and this is a huge but, you will have Crutchfield stand behind it. Crutchfield is a fantastic company.

eBay is just an online auction site. You register, find something you like, READ THE DESCRIPTION CAREFULLY, and then bid on it. If you win, them you pay the seller, usually using PayPal.

The seller then ships you the item. If the item you receive isn't as described (which is why you READ THE DESCRIPTION CAREFULLY), then you have the right to request a return for a refund.

I've been buying and selling in eBay since the 90's, as have millions upon millions of other people. It's perfectly cool.

And yes, there are lot of companies that have their online stores that operate via eBay.
Do you think I should just wait until Kenwood/JVC has products in stock and just go with a Bluetooth to FM transmitter for the moment? It's FAR from ideal, especially since I have no aux input in the original radio head unit, but it technically works. My main worry is that I'm going to be driving in the middle of the city a lot soon and using my phone for a map isn't exactly easy since the screen is so small comparitively.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here is new version and on amazon with back up camera and works flawlessly as I have both models with no problems what so ever trust me cant go wrong you can get parts easly online if needed I got one in my 1998 saturn sl1 298.000
And one about to be installed in my 2006 mazda 3s 319.000 miles. Try it out with a car battery and pc speakers you may like em

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is new version and on amazon with back up camera and works flawlessly as I have both models with no problems what so ever trust me cant go wrong you can get parts easly online if needed I got one in my 1998 saturn sl1 298.000
And one about to be installed in my 2006 mazda 3s 319.000 miles. Try it out with a car battery and pc speakers you may like em

Once again, something I don't trust. Plus I don't really see how I'd install it, but given that you have the same car as me, let me know how that installation goes.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Ever tried to use a $30 Android tablet? Because that is exactly what those "pure Android" head units are. Leave them the hell alone.

Don't be afraid of eBay. You can get really good deals from them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ever tried to use a $30 Android tablet? Because that is exactly what those "pure Android" head units are. Leave them the hell alone.

Don't be afraid of eBay. You can get really good deals from them.
Hmm. I never thought of it like that. That's a good point.

With my lack of experience on eBay it's difficult for me to know what is a good deal. Any advice?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ok sorry .. At tablet is a great place to start there cheap and reliable and there's a lot of video's on how to install them on youtube if money's not a problem just get one you like and looks cool. You can go to a local radio shop or best buy and play with the test units best I adive I can give compare features / screen and sound that my last input just trying to help

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Hmm. I never thought of it like that. That's a good point.

With my lack of experience on eBay it's difficult for me to know what is a good deal. Any advice?
Pick out the features you like.
Pick out a deck you like.
Look at Sonic Electronix, Crutchfield, Best Buy, Amazon, etc., see what the "standard" prices are.
Now look at eBay for that same item. See how much off you can get.

Think of eBay as just buying "scratch and dent" or "returns" type items. All of the aforementioned companies sell items in this exact way, anyway. From Crutchfield, they call it the "Crutchfield Outlet".

If you're worried about a warranty, you can always buy one from eBay via SquareTrade. It's not that expensive, either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts