Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to make a decision between the 09 Cobalt SS and 09 Mazdaspeed3 but the only thing making me lean towards the Cobalt SS is better all-season tire choices.

The 215/45R18 tires on the MS3 are limited to sh*t, summer tires, and squirmy dedicated snow tires. Although I plan to drive my MS3 in MI winters, I prefer good all-seasons like Goodyear Assurance TripleTred or Continental ContiExtremeContact that work well in the snow. Snow tires are generally very squirmy on dry ground and tend to hydroplane in the rain, not to mention noisy.

What are my choices? I don't want to handle the logistics of separate wheels for the winter - been there, done that. It's a PITA. Can I swap in 17" or 16" wheels?

The Cobalt has a much better tire size: 225/40R18 where there are plenty of good tire choices that aren't necessarily snow tires. Silly as it sounds, the tire choices would be a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It looks like Goodyear makes the TripleTred in 225/50R18. The specs indicate that it would fit a 7" wide wheel and has comparable load specs to the stock Bridgestones. What do you think of this size for the MS3?

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Remember that wheels are a really easy thing to replace to get the size you want, so if the 3 is overall the better choice in your mind don't let something relatively inexpensive throw it to a car that you may not be as happy with. Then again if you like the cobalt better then go with that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They're easy to replace but I'm not sure if I can get the right size at the right price if you know what I mean. I'm estimating $2000 to get new wheels and tires, plus the hassle of finding a buyer for my stock wheels/tires. I would love to just swap tires (not wheels) since I'd have to do the same on the Cobalt SS. But the 18x7 wheel size seems to limit my choices.

·
Registered
531 Posts
You could always try to get the dealer to swap the OEM tires for the all-season tires you want.
You would probably have to pay any difference in cost and the cost of mounting and balancing.
The OEM tires on the MS3 are pretty pricey though so you would be able to get a very good quality
all-season in exchange.
I have done this on past purchases as part of the sales agreement.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=icspots link=topic=136278.msg2936601#msg2936601 date=1234629118]
^^ I don't think his problem is in having the tires remounted, rather that there's a limited selection in that tire/wheel size for all season tires.
[/quote]

Yes! The 18x7 wheels can't fit the wider tires that are more common, and the all-seasons available in in the 215 size aren't suitable for use in light snow.

·
Registered
281 Posts
you can do 225/40 on a 7 inch wide rim. It's prolly better since you have a lil more rubber to protect the rims form light curbing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How do I recalibrate the speedometer to compensate for the change in tire height or rev/mile?

All of the 225/40R18 tires at Tirerack indicate the rim width range measures from 7.5" up, would it work on a 7" stock width wheel?

·
Registered
57 Posts
You can actually get the same Goodyear All season tire that they made for the Corvette. We share tire sizes. I think its the Eagle F1 A/S. BUT> I'm in ohio, and I put winter tires on my speed because even A/S tires on 18" wheels are not so hot. I'm VERY pleased with winter tires.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My Speed3 is a tank in the winter with 17"stock mazda6 rims and dunlop snows!!! :)

·
Banned
1,301 Posts
[quote author=metroplex link=topic=136278.msg2936335#msg2936335 date=1234611174]
I am ready to make a decision between the 09 Cobalt SS and 09 Mazdaspeed3 but the only thing making me lean towards the Cobalt SS is better all-season tire choices.What are my choices? I don't want to handle the logistics of separate wheels for the winter - been there, done that. It's a PITA. Can I swap in 17" or 16" wheels?

The Cobalt has a much better tire size: 225/40R18 where there are plenty of good tire choices that aren't necessarily snow tires. Silly as it sounds, the tire choices would be a deal breaker for me.
[/quote]

I'm sorry that a tire has to be a deal breaker. My husband has an '06 Cobalt SS and it has about 38K on it. Worked perfectly till we hit 30K. Since then, weve been to the local Chevy deal 9 times for everything to TSB's and recalls. He's going back Saturday because his driver's side door wont unlock. He got trapped in the car and had to climb acoss to get out yesterday... and because the car wont go into park sometimes. There are TSB's out there for both of those things to be repaired and thank goodness that it's still under warranty and that he bought the extended protection. The engine also stared running really at really high RPM's and got LOUD and rough. Hopefully the dealership will work it all out. If not, he's gonna trade it in on either a Escape or a CX7. (I voted CX7...)

Personally, I've wanted my Mazda3 for about 4 years, so finally getting one was awesome. I must have spend 1000 hours researching my Mazda, before I decided it was truly what I want. I don't have a Speed3, but I don't want that. Also, hatch, ew. My Mazda 3 has driven with its snow tires on in 6 inches of fresh snow over ice, no problems. I had to get up a hill and into my hill of a driveway and made it, no problems. I had to shovel the street so my husband and his Cobalt could make it around the corner and to the same driveway.

I'm not a Cobalt fan. I had a 99 Sunfire that with 136K drove and rode better than his 2 year old car. Yuck.

EDIT: I know most of that isnt about tires, but... still. Tires can be replaced, the innerworkings are harder to deal with when they SUCK.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts