Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help figuring out where i can get a new engine for my mazda 3 sp23.

Something hit my oil filter and cracked it, so the oil leaked out all over the highway, it totally SUCKS!!!
Now i need to replace the engine completely. But I am having a hard time trying to figure out where i can get an engine.

If someone can help me please let me know, I am crippled with out my car.

Thanks,

Vinny

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sounds like a potential insurance claim, check with your agent.

Check with your local salvage yards for an engine.

Paul

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
You could buy the car back and look for a used engine...not sure the economics of doing so.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I crashed my Golf in '02 and the insurance company wrote it off. I took the money, less 10% for salvage, kept the car, replaced the broken headlight, tucked in most of the jagged torn bits of metal and drove it for another 5 years. No reason you shouldn't be able to do similar.

·
Registered
239 Posts
[quote author=vinny31187 link=topic=134646.msg2895772#msg2895772 date=1233157484]
Ya called the insurance company they declared it totaled.... now I'm even more screwed they are only giving me 9,000... now i have to get a new one now.
[/quote]

For an insurance company to total a car, doesn't it mean that the cost to repair any damage exceeds its book value? If your insurance company claims your car is totaled and they will give you $9,000, does that imply the cost to replace the engine exceeds $9,000? Does a new engine really cost that much?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I'm curious.

How did something hit the engine's oil filter? Were you driving with the black plastic panel under the engine removedd?

As far as getting another engine goes, I read that Mazda recently opened a facility in my town (Richmond, VA) to rebuild their engines. I don't know whether they'll sell the engines to the general public of if they're only available through Mazda dealers. Also don't know if they rebuild all Mazda engines or just those for certain models (for example the rotary engines).

In any case sorry to hear about your problem.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
[quote author=Funandfrugal link=topic=134646.msg2896606#msg2896606 date=1233179193]If your insurance company claims your car is totaled and they will give you $9,000, does that imply the cost to replace the engine exceeds $9,000? Does a new engine really cost that much?
[/quote]

For all brand-new parts, plus labor, close to $9k sounds about right. A used/rebuilt motor would probably cut the parts cost in half.

·
Registered
223 Posts
[quote author=vinny31187 link=topic=134646.msg2895772#msg2895772 date=1233157484]
Ya called the insurance company they declared it totaled.... now I'm even more screwed they are only giving me 9,000... now i have to get a new one now.
[/quote]

$9,000? What is the Blue Book value? What's your payoff amount? You don't necessarily have to accept their offer. See if you can negotiate a higher price. I might try to buy back the car & get a slavage motor installed.

Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.