Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I am throwing this in the lounge only because I am to indecisive to figure out where the heck to put this post.

Just got a Mazda 5, only came with one key. It is the flip out style that I guess Mazda moved to later on (I have the old non-flip out style for my '05 3i). Dealer wants $208 for it plus cost to program it (I am guessing probably another $50-100).

Friggen highway robbery.

Anyone know of a cheaper place to at least get the key ('08 Mazda 5)? Also I know there is a procedure to program the 3's key to the vehicle, what is the procedure? Just thinking it would likely work with the 5 also since they have probably the same ECU.

Thanks.
-Matt

·
Super Moderator
8,777 Posts
Since mazda and ford are similar, I'll throw this out there. If you want to program the key yourself you'll need the two others. If you only have one it can't be done yourself. I know home depot is doing it now. Not sure if they are good or cheap though.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What if you only have one other key?

Or do you mean the one programmed key and a 'blank' key?

When we got the car (used) it only had the one key.
-Matt

PS So Home Depot is programming keys? Or they are cutting the keys? Thanks. Heck even just getting the key cheaper would be nice. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,777 Posts
HD is now selling chipped keys. They can make you a second programmed key. The reason you need two programmed keys is because there is a sequence you have to follow. It requires two programmed keys and then finally the third key you are attempting to program. I'd use the link haloo posted before going to HD. He def. know the best places to go for programmed keys.

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
The 5's system is the same as the 3's. Basically if you have two working keys in hand you can program in addition keys (up to eight) yourself for free. If you only have one key then the dealer has to program it for you. The process takes about 45 minutes and they usually charge an hour's labor for it. Members have been quoted from $25-150 for the programming, though most pay around $50-75. A few lucky people have managed to get it done for free, but I think they had friends at the dealer.

As for the key do you want to get a replacement flip key, or do you just want a standard transponder key? If you want a regular transponder key you can get an OEM one from bagman1 (linked above) for around $30 cut and shipped to your door. You can also get aftermarket transponder keys for about $9. If you want a flip key you need two pieces. One is the transponder/flip section of the key which is about $37 (and is standard across all flip keys). The other is the remote section which is not the same between multiple models. Those run from $35-$150 depending on which model you need. I'm not sure what the part number for the Mz5 remote is, however if you drop bagman1 an e-mail ([email protected]) he's usually really good about getting back to you quickly.

Whichever way you go you'll have to have a dealer program the second key for you. I'd call around to a couple dealers (if you have options in your area) and see who would give you the best price on programming a second key. Then buy whichever you want online and have them program the key for you. Also if you pick up a third key at the same time you can program that in yourself.... then if you were ever to lose another key you could just program another yourself without going back to the dealer.

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
Glad I found this thread, I've been trying to figure out how to get a 2nd key for my miata.
When I bought it, it also only came with one key. Grr

Dealership quoted me $100 for the key, and $150+ to program it o_O

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
[quote author=TwoSlo link=topic=180440.msg3817855#msg3817855 date=1286293187]
Glad I found this thread, I've been trying to figure out how to get a 2nd key for my miata.
When I bought it, it also only came with one key. Grr

Dealership quoted me $100 for the key, and $150+ to program it o_O
[/quote]

Is your regular key a flip key or just the standard one? If it's a flip then it might cost that much because some of the remotes are more expensive than others. The key part of the flip would cost the same as for any other flip key. If it's just a transponder key (or if it's a flip but you just want a regular key) then the same details as above apply. ~$30 for OEM and ~$9 for aftermarket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts