Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is climbing to 60K.

Is it necessary to replace drive belts and A/C belt on our car?

Any high-mileage owners want to chime in?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I know of NO car these days that require any belt replacement before 5 years or 90-100k. Unless it looks bad. Most all preventive maint. is INSPECTION not replacement..Unless you just want to waste your money.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
Inspect the belts closely for dry-rot or cracking and fraying, if none of these are present recheck in a few months.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
What they said, 'cept a bit extra. If for some reason you have to do something that requires you to take off the belts then you might as well just replace them. For instance my wife's Hyundai requires the timing chain to be replaced at 60k miles, and in order to replace it you have to remove all of the belts. They're not that expensive, so we'll just do them at the same time.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So regular maintenance at 60K, should I go ahead and replace it...

Because I think I need to go back to dealer to acquire the special tool "jig" to install the A/C belt. My mechanic said the new belt will be stretched and put on unlike other belt with auto tensioner on it...

So I just want to see if this is necessary to spend some $$ to get it done for maintenance or as a preventive tune-up???

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well, No ...Not at 60k unless you have a reason to remove the belts. The Mazda 3 belts shouldnt need replacing until around 100k or 5 years...UNLESS like another stated you need to remove it anyways. Even if my belts were only on for a year and i had to remove them to fix something then id replace them"there off anyways". BUT just keep an eye on the belts, They should be fine untill at least at the MINIMUM 80k.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Just grab a flashlight and have a look at them every oil change. My mother is at 110K miles on her 8 year old Sunfire and the original serpentine belt is still in perfect condition. I changed the alternator and tensioner pulley a couple of years ago, but the belt looked like new so I didn't spend the money to change it. I'll spend the extra 15 minutes to throw a new belt on when it actually needs it instead.

·
Registered
133 Posts
One point not mentioned about belts is...HEAT, they are rubber and with heat over time will become stiffer and can then break down quickly. Personally, if it says in the manual to change it...then change it. As I understand it these motors are interference motors meaning if the belt does snap...pop goes the wiesel in your motor too. Change it on the regular intervals...yeah it could probably go a lot longer...being in the kind of industry that I am in...I've experienced a lot of different testing methods for various parts, and they are always going to lean on the safe side of things going bad. SO yes you could go longer (more then likely nothing would happen), but in the case that it does fail a little premature then it normally might...is that a chance your willing to take on a car with only 60k miles, or spend what $50-$80 on the serpentine belt, and $20 or so for the other one and get more piece of mind. Not saying that a new one don't have the possibility of breaking but that has the possibility of having repairs done by that manufacturer for a faulty item if it could be proven it was installed correctly. The other advice given was good though about changing if you needed to get to something that required taking the belts off anyway...that's always a good rule of thumb.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
[quote author=MCRacing524 link=topic=67690.msg1168368#msg1168368 date=1169740854]As I understand it these motors are interference motors meaning if the belt does snap...pop goes the wiesel in your motor too[/quote]

That is only when the timeing belt breaks. Not the serpentine belt. These enginges use a chain not a timing belt.

·
Registered
753 Posts
[quote author=MCRacing524 link=topic=67690.msg1168368#msg1168368 date=1169740854]
One point not mentioned about belts is...HEAT, they are rubber and with heat over time will become stiffer and can then break down quickly. Personally, if it says in the manual to change it...then change it. As I understand it these motors are interference motors meaning if the belt does snap...pop goes the wiesel in your motor too. . . [/quote]

:lol:
I'm sorry man, but that was way too long of a spiel considering you don't know the function of the belts on your car!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From the manual, it is never meant to be REPLACED. Just INSPECT.
I do not purposely want to take it off and replace it.
From my understanding on the old Protege I owned, it is meant to replace at every 60K. But that is a different car.

But in the MZ3 manual, they did not listed to replace the belt at certain mileage.
So I just want some inputs from owners whether to do it or not. If it is necesary, I'll go and spend the extra. But if it is never to be replaced, I spend the money at McDonald's happy meal instead...

I guess I will flip a coin to see whether or not to replace it.

Thanks, guys...

·
Registered
133 Posts
[quote author=silver06 link=topic=67690.msg1168400#msg1168400 date=1169742074]
[quote author=MCRacing524 link=topic=67690.msg1168368#msg1168368 date=1169740854]As I understand it these motors are interference motors meaning if the belt does snap...pop goes the wiesel in your motor too[/quote]

That is only when the timeing belt breaks. Not the serpentine belt. These enginges use a chain not a timing belt.
[/quote]

Serpentine belts are normally timing belts! Atleast on my last car when you bought a serpentine belt it went over all 4 cams. You are correct about our cars using a timing chain...I don't have service manual to our car yet so I didn't know whether or not our car had a belt or a chain...sorry about that. However, my statement was not wrong when talking about cars WITH a belt driven valve train! The only other name that I've ever heard any of the other belts referred to has been Water Pump belt and Accessory belt (meaning AC, Power steering pump, alternator).

G

·
A timing belt is not a serpentine belt. Serpentine belts are designed to pull power from the crankshaft and turn all the engine accessories....alternator, A/C, etc. It's designed so both sides of the belt can be utilized to turn accessories or ride on an idler pully.

A timing belt has teeth on one side which fits the cam sprockets and the sprocket on the crankshaft ONLY. The only pully that touches the outer, non-toothed side of the timing belts are the tensioners. Since the Mazda3 does not employ a timing belt, he doesn't have this to worry about.

·
Registered
190 Posts
[quote author=MCRacing524 link=topic=67690.msg1171126#msg1171126 date=1169862627]

[/quote]

Serpentine belts are normally timing belts! Atleast on my last car when you bought a serpentine belt it went over all 4 cams. You are correct about our cars using a timing chain...I don't have service manual to our car yet so I didn't know whether or not our car had a belt or a chain...sorry about that. However, my statement was not wrong when talking about cars WITH a belt driven valve train! The only other name that I've ever heard any of the other belts referred to has been Water Pump belt and Accessory belt (meaning AC, Power steering pump, alternator).
[/quote]
Serpentine belts are NOT timing belts!! :lol: Wow, I hope you're not a mechanic!!

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
[quote author=alecshawn link=topic=67690.msg1171293#msg1171293 date=1169872231]
[quote author=MCRacing524 link=topic=67690.msg1171126#msg1171126 date=1169862627]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Serpentine belts are NOT timing belts!! :lol: Wow, I hope you're not a mechanic!!
[/quote]

If he is a mechanic. I don't want him working on my cars. :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
If the manual says replace it, then replace it. Keep reciepts. If the manual says check it, check it.

Find a trustworthy mechanic, not that hard, contact your local Miata club, they know at least one. Only go to a dealer for waranty repairs, then ignore them when they recommend other crap that needs to be replaced. Contact me if you need a trustworthy mechanic in Houston.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You guys need to relax LMMFAO...My background in mechanics comes from old Muscle cars and Racebikes. As I MENTIONED the last time I asked for a Timing belt for my Probe GT...The guy behind the counter said "that's an expensive SERPENTINE BELT. So I figured okay well this is what they are referring too so that's what I always associated with. I'm actually quite a damn good mechanic and probably even better then most on this board...excuse me if my wording of specific parts is not correct...not that it really fuckin matters. Bottom line is I can troubleshoot them, I can take them apart, and I can put them back together and make them run better then they did before I worked on them. If I can build 190hp superbike motors I'm quite sure a competent mechanic. Did I mentione MOST motorcycles don't have belts! LMAO Relax guys you guys act as though this board is your only way of life and exploiting your expertise too nobody who really gives a shit one way or another. NOW go grab a cold Corona and chill the hell out!

·
Registered
190 Posts
[quote author=MCRacing524 link=topic=67690.msg1172369#msg1172369 date=1169956194]
You guys need to relax LMMFAO...My background in mechanics comes from old Muscle cars and Racebikes. As I MENTIONED the last time I asked for a Timing belt for my Probe GT...The guy behind the counter said "that's an expensive SERPENTINE BELT. So I figured okay well this is what they are referring too so that's what I always associated with. I'm actually quite a damn good mechanic and probably even better then most on this board...excuse me if my wording of specific parts is not correct...not that it really fuckin matters. Bottom line is I can troubleshoot them, I can take them apart, and I can put them back together and make them run better then they did before I worked on them. If I can build 190hp superbike motors I'm quite sure a competent mechanic. Did I mentione MOST motorcycles don't have belts! LMAO Relax guys you guys act as though this board is your only way of life and exploiting your expertise too nobody who really gives a shit one way or another. NOW go grab a cold Corona and chill the hell out!
[/quote]
You are compensating!!!  You tried really hard to assure of of your mechanical ability... :lol: BUT, You still think a serpentine belt is a timing belt :shock: I think that gave a way the real truth.. Now, You re evaluate your skills after school and get back with us.

·
Registered
133 Posts
[quote author=alecshawn link=topic=67690.msg1172789#msg1172789 date=1169995266]
[quote author=MCRacing524 link=topic=67690.msg1172369#msg1172369 date=1169956194]
[/quote]
You are compensating!!! You tried really hard to assure of of your mechanical ability... :lol: BUT, You still think a serpentine belt is a timing belt :shock: I think that gave a way the real truth.. Now, You re evaluate your skills after school and get back with us.

Dude you need to go back to school to learn how to read! If you read what I last said...I assumed since the guy behind the counter called the timing belt a Serpentine belt...that that was what it's name was. So I just ran with that. I now know that our 2.3L has a timing chain, and serpentine belts that run the accessories. This really is a stupid arguement IMO, I was wrong on what I was calling different belts by name, however, I know the difference and what they look like, and YES I do know how to install them. I'm sure we have all made this same mistake. Again, I like the fact that no one agreed with the FACT that heat does reak havoc on belts. So just points out that fact that most people on this forum are more likely to complain or show their SUPERIOR knowledge of all things in this world by insulting people when they make a mistake...but easily look over the people when they have made true points. :D I've admitted I was using the wrong names for the belts. I don't have to prove my mechanical ability to any of you. Chances are I probably wouldn't let many of you work on my cars either...mainly because I am to picky and anal about how things are done...and most people I know can't do it fast enough for me so I end up doing things myself and I don't have time to explain to them how too (but that is my problem). LMAO
[/quote]

·
Registered
190 Posts
[quote author=MCRacing524 link=topic=67690.msg1172934#msg1172934 date=1170004601]
[quote author=alecshawn link=topic=67690.msg1172789#msg1172789 date=1169995266]
[/quote]
You are compensating!!! You tried really hard to assure of of your mechanical ability... :lol: BUT, You still think a serpentine belt is a timing belt :shock: I think that gave a way the real truth.. Now, You re evaluate your skills after school and get back with us.

Dude you need to go back to school to learn how to read! If you read what I last said...I assumed since the guy behind the counter called the timing belt a Serpentine belt...that that was what it's name was. So I just ran with that. I now know that our 2.3L has a timing chain, and serpentine belts that run the accessories. This really is a stupid arguement IMO, I was wrong on what I was calling different belts by name, however, I know the difference and what they look like, and YES I do know how to install them. I'm sure we have all made this same mistake. Again, I like the fact that no one agreed with the FACT that heat does reak havoc on belts. So just points out that fact that most people on this forum are more likely to complain or show their SUPERIOR knowledge of all things in this world by insulting people when they make a mistake...but easily look over the people when they have made true points. :D I've admitted I was using the wrong names for the belts. I don't have to prove my mechanical ability to any of you. Chances are I probably wouldn't let many of you work on my cars either...mainly because I am to picky and anal about how things are done...and most people I know can't do it fast enough for me so I end up doing things myself and I don't have time to explain to them how too (but that is my problem). LMAO
[/quote]
[/quote]
Look, You stated the you were naive enough to think or believe that a serpentine belt was a timing belt :shock:..We stated to you that, This was for lack of a better term "ridiculous". Take the criticism like a man and stop whining. :cry:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts