Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you do i was wonderin if the car makes ne noises when shiftin from 3rd to 4th at atleast 3500 rpm.

·
Registered
397 Posts
There are a numerous ammount of noises a car may make while shifting from gears. Is there a particular or odd noise that you are hearing that you would like to inquire about?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Mine goes VRROOOOMMM!!! :p Seriously, what kind of noise are you talking about?

·
Registered
53 Posts
It does sound a little funny. Have you tried shifting slower and see if its still there? My old car would make that sound when shifting too fast because of crappy synchros.

I'll check mine out tomorrow, I should have read the thread earlier, I just got back from a drive.

BTW, Do you have a hatch or a sedan and what options?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Does it do this all the time or only part of the time? This sounds like possibly the sychro between first and second is going out, but it could also be poor technique.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Thank you for posting up the recording. That is so much more helpful than any possible description!

The OP says that it occurs in the 3-4 upshift, not the 1-2. And from what I can tell, the sound seems to occur from close range, like in the shifter tunnel, rather than further up where the gears are.

Your car still makes a nice VVRROOOOM sound, though, I must add. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I turned the stereo off and listened closely. The only sound mine makes is vroooOOM snick-snick vroooooOOOOM.. etc :lol:

If it is repeatable every time, take it to your dealer, have a tech ride with you, and reproduce it for them.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lmfao your comments are hiliarious, i especially love the shifting with the chirping tires sound effect. but yea it does it everytime i shift from 3rd to 4th at atleast 3500rpm slow or fast. i had a tech drive it alone, 2 techs actually, they said thye didnt hear it, then i had one drive with me and they said it was the "linkage between the gears" but idk wat that means. i know my cars but not mechanis wise, thats why i have road side to change my tires for me lol jp. but uhh its everytime i shift at those rpms or higher... i went to the dealership to see if they have anohter one of my cars there same year and engine size and stick but they dont... btw its a sedan S with black cloth uhhh 16inch rims uhh xenons and uhhh idk wat options u wanna know?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just wondering about options because I have a '07 Galaxy Grey also, but in hatchback.

Maybe you could do a video of more than the 3-4 like a 1-2-3-4 to compare the sounds of the other shifts to see if it's just the video, but it sounds like a synchronizer thing to me. From my limited knowledge, the synchro makes the gears in the transmission spin the same speed as the output shaft so they slide together smoothly and the transmission doesn't grind.

Try this: Get up to 3500 in 3rd, clutch, put the stick in neutral, let clutch out, clutch back in, then to 4th, and clutch out, performing the actions as quickly as possible to not lose speed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is called "double clutching" and it performs the same function that a synchro does. (Big rigs typically have to do this, I am told by my driver friend.) If it doesn't make the sound, I'd say synchro.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok ok i can def make another video of all gears up to 4th and even 5th so you know its smooth. but uhh i can try to do that double clutch? is that wat you called it, i've heard of it b4. but have you heard of the linkage between the gearS? or is that dealership bs?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm not sure about "linkage between the gears," but I'm thinking he's referring to the linkage from your shifter to the gears in the transmission. These are the rods that run through the center tunnel beneath your shifter.

Since the tech did hear the sound, did he say that there was anything that could be done about it??

·
Registered
53 Posts
[quote author=Corbs link=topic=67691.msg1167831#msg1167831 date=1169695278]
ok ok i can def make another video of all gears up to 4th and even 5th so you know its smooth. but uhh i can try to do that double clutch? is that wat you called it, i've heard of it b4. but have you heard of the linkage between the gearS? or is that dealership bs?
[/quote]

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound as if I thought you were hearing things. My post seems to say that it's just the video making the weird sound. What I meant to convey was so we can compare the sounds of the other shifts to the 3-4 shift to see if the video was making it sound like it was coming from a different place...

I don't see how the linkage would make that kind of sound. I've never heard of a linkage making any sound, but kendalf said it seemed to be coming from the tunnel before you mentioned linkage, so maybe it does. Surely they can do something about it, it's not normal compared to my experience.

If they continue to say it's normal, when they get another 5MT 2.3l 3 in, make one go with you on a drive of that, and ask why yours makes the sound and the other one does not.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no no no claudius ur ok, i wasnt tryin to sound rude, i was serious i will make a video of all 5 gears. i tried makin one alone, steering, shifting and recording....not soo good lol. yea the tech said its normal... but normal or not i dont like the sound just sends chills everytime i hear it no joke. im just waitin for another shipment of cars to come in so i can drive one and if they dont get one within the week i'll head up to ft myers which is 30 min away and drive one there

·
Registered
782 Posts
Not normal to me, and I have an 07 MT just like yours.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have an '07 hatch 5MT and mine definitely does not do this. Also, good luck having the dealer fix it, since they always claim (at least my local dealers) that they can't hear or tell that there is a problem or that it's normal, ect.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
welllll see when i purchased the car they told me Mazda America would be sendin me a survey and that i needed to fill it out to the fullest satisfaction and if i wasnt happy bout smoethin dont put it in the survey to tell them 1st and they'll fix it...so i guess mazda has them on a short leash cuz they are a new dealership, dodge just added on with mazda here so. i think i could use that as a leverage... i swear chevy did this same stuff to my mum with her car, im gonna ride a bike or a go-ped for now on

1 - 20 of 21 Posts