Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. Just came back from a Mazda dealer. And just a little update, I've decided on a Mazda 3 HB. Didn't buy the car yet, but made progress on which car I want. I'm currently looking at the Touring model. But the thing is I want to add a Navigation system on it. The salesman went to ask somebody about that, if that is avaible. He came back saying it is avaible, but by changing the head unit (stereo area). So instead of having the navigation system on top, it will replace the head unit and be a touch screen area. For example like how SUV with navigation system. But the salesman also stated that by switching to the touch screen navigation system, it will double up as a DVD player (o.0).
My only question is, is this a good thing and does anybody have this kind of configuration? The only thing I don't like about that is, it changes how the interior looks. I would've aim for the Grand Touring model, but the fact that it comes with the auto sensing wiper killed that idea (Although the HID headlights and LED taillights is a plus)

Thanks everybody for there input on my situation with getting a Navi.

PS. Admin, please move this topic to another location if you feel that this ain't the proper place for it to be. Thanks

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I'm not sure where you are located, but I'm 99.9% sure your dealer is on the lower end of the evolutionary scale. He's talking about ripping up your interior and putting in an after-market unit. By extension, he's also talking about bending you over the front fender and doing a cowboy yodel.

Check the Mazda website to see if what you want is available. Then take a print out to another dealer or two (do a search of your area inventory). Find someone that will respect you (now and in the morning) and work with you. If you are smart enough to pick a Hatch, you can do it.

Good luck! We'll see you on the I Got It page. :)

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
What wrong with the GT? Why does the auto wiper shy you away? It seems odd the dealer wants to run an non OEM piece in your car, it's gonna cost you probably $3000 though extra so you mise well get the mazda one, it's one of the best navi's on the market, much better than my Z1 I had

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
CAn't you turn off the auto wipers if you want? I know you can turn off the auto lights...

·
Registered
645 Posts
[quote author=MetalCord link=topic=71371.msg1261366#msg1261366 date=1173640579]
CAn't you turn off the auto wipers if you want? I know you can turn off the auto lights...
[/quote]

yes you can.

If you couldn't turn off the auto wipers car washes would be a PITA lol.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
[quote author=ENH729 link=topic=71371.msg1261665#msg1261665 date=1173654671]
If you couldn't turn off the auto wipers car washes would be a PITA lol.
[/quote]

I've done that. Scares the poo out of you when they jump at you the first time. :shock:

2nd on the GT - nothing to regret.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
yeah, that dealer is talking about putting in aftermarket nav, which sucks compared to the factory nav. What he's telling you is correct, just realize that its a totally different navigation system, and theres no reason you would have to go through the dealer for that (cuz he'll probably rip you off). Aftermarket nav's are available for significantly less money than the factory nav, but don't offer near as smooth integration into the dash, not to mention, the mazda nav is second only to acura in my experience.

·
Registered
306 Posts
[quote author=rubyred3 link=topic=71371.msg1262454#msg1262454 date=1173698938]
yeah, that dealer is talking about putting in aftermarket nav, which sucks compared to the factory nav. [/quote]

What makes you say that? I bought a bare-bones Sport model specifically so that I'd have the cash and the ability to upgrade with an aftermarket nav system. The only negative is the integration, obviously a factory nav system will integrate better. Other than that, what's the advantage? Here're the reasons I went with aftermarket nav (Pioneer D3):

Touchscreen display
Complete iPod integration and control (w/ $30 cable, also charges the iPod)
Bluetooth interface for cell phones (voice dialing, caller ID, local phone book, etc., $180 add-on)
Integrated satellite radio (w/ $100 add-on)
DVD player (plays all video and audio codecs, including Divx and AAC. Will also play DVDs full of MP3s)
3 preouts for add-on amplifiers w/out using LOCs
Outstanding navigation routing (from what I've heard, it's better than all factory systems, except maybe Acura)

All of that cost only $1130 if I do my own install. The Mazda nav system was ~$2,200 with Sirius, and offers much less functionality.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
[quote author=Mark C link=topic=71371.msg1263348#msg1263348 date=1173731631]
What makes you say that? I bought a bare-bones Sport model specifically so that I'd have the cash and the ability to upgrade with an aftermarket nav system. The only negative is the integration, obviously a factory nav system will integrate better. Other than that, what's the advantage? Here're the reasons I went with aftermarket nav (Pioneer D3):

Touchscreen display
Bluetooth interface for cell phones (voice dialing, caller ID, local phone book, etc., $180 add-on)
DVD player (plays all video and audio codecs, including Divx and AAC. Will also play DVDs full of MP3s)
Outstanding navigation routing (from what I've heard, it's better than all factory systems, except maybe Acura)

All of that cost only $1130 if I do my own install. The Mazda nav system was ~$2,200 with Sirius, and offers much less functionality.
[/quote]

As you said yourself, you absolutely cannot beat the integration of the factory nav. Here's a couple more plusses, Note, these are all matters of personal preference, and your decision all depends on how you weigh the varying plusses or minuses, so I'm neither right nor wrong here, just stating what I see as advantages:

-far less stealable, and attracts a lot less attention from potential thieves
-NOT touchscreen controls, instead, integrated, easy to use controls. The OEM nav controls are really great if you ask me. This is a matter of personal preference, but I HATE touchscreens, and they really distract you if you try to use them while you're driving, and although you're not supposed to, you will. This advantage doesn't apply as much to the '06's though, since they cannot be programmed while moving (I have an '04)
-Navigation routing is superior on the mazda IMO, its the best on the market short of the acura system, POI data is excellent, and the maps are fairly well up to date. I've used a lot of OEM navs, and mazda's is pretty darn good actually.
-Can be financed with the car, as opposed to aftermarket, which would likely have to be financed on a credit card (much lower interest rate on a car loan than on a credit card)

Also, another note, its not really an apples to apples comparison to compare the OEM nav cost to an installed yourself aftermarket, you should really include professional installation if you are trying to make a fair comparison (although you do have a point, in that its not an option to install the OEM yourself, so the aftermarket CAN be a lot cheaper if you are willing to go to that trouble).

Its all about what you want, I have no plans of a big aftermarket stereo (so the line outs don't concern me). I don't care for satelite radio, so thats a moot point to me (but not to others, so others may logically reach different conclusions than me). I don't have a bluetooth phone, nor do I plan on getting one (I'm a firm believer that its the distraction that causes cell phone wrecks, not the fact that you have to hold it in your hand).

Lets try not to hijack this thread too bad (theres a lot of threads on OEM vs aftermaket nav), I suppose my statement that aftermarket nav "sucks" was a bit hasty, lets just say, its very different, I believe we can both agree on that, and if the salesman was telling you he can add nav easily, just be aware that he is NOT retrofitting an OEM nav system, but adding aftermarket instead.

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
[quote author=TruboPower link=topic=71371.msg1259350#msg1259350 date=1173496552]
so you mise well get the mazda one, it's one of the best navi's on the market, much better than my Z1 I had
[/quote]

although i do agree on how awesome the location and setup is of the navigation system, i feel like the software itself could have been better for $2k+ extra. I've seen other ones that were better, but I guess they cost $3k+ huh?

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
[quote author=Mark C link=topic=71371.msg1263348#msg1263348 date=1173731631]
Here're the reasons I went with aftermarket nav (Pioneer D3):

Touchscreen display

[/quote]
-Touchscreens aren't that great
-You can integrate ipod into the stock system.. steering wheel controls work too
-The bluetooth built in most those alpine's/ eclipses isn't that amazing, you can get the same addon aftermarket for like $140
-I paid $25 for my XM
-Theres a DVD hack for the oem system, its like $250
-The stock routing is quite awesome. I've tried as hard as I can and i haven't gotten lost yet. It recalculates a couple seconds after you change route from its determined path.

Sure it might be nice, but I don't see any huge benefits over the stock one

·
Registered
306 Posts
rubyred3 - I agree, it all comes down to personal preference. Without a sale price, and including professional install, my nav system alone would be ~$1200 (no accessories), stock is $1,700. Certainly some people may think $500 for the 'factory look' is worth it.

I think that if his dealer is going to install an aftermarket system to make a sale, good for them. If my dealer would have put in the system I wanted, at a price I was happy with, I'd have been all for it. If the original poster is interested in any of the accessories/upgrades I mentioned, then I firmly believe aftermarket is the way to go. The total cost savings of an aftermarket system vs. stock are ~$800 with TruboPower's cheap XM, and close to $1,200 including factory Sirius. It will be a lot easier and cheaper to add those accessories to an aftermarket system than to a factory system. That's a consideration he must weigh when working this out with the dealer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[quote author=mazdamn02 link=topic=71371.msg1263632#msg1263632 date=1173741629]
If you don't want to buy a 3 with built in navigation, but you want the same nifty pop-out monitor and navigation, see this post: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=64871.msg1220679#msg1220679

[/quote]

Thanks for the link mazdamn02. That is a sweet aftermarket navigation.

If I were to get a portable navigation system, which brand/product will you guys recommend. Cause I personal don't want to transported more than 2 passengers. And might move the navigation system to a SUV which is more better suited to transport lots of people.

Thanks

·
Registered
306 Posts
Check out the Garmin Nuvi line. They've got 3 or 4 models with varying features. I've never used one of these units, but they get good reviews elsewhere, and I think they include a lot of features for the price.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've got to disagree with the other Rubyred. I have a 2006 system and it's really poor. I just drove across country and on numerous occasions the navigation got exit number (Salt Lake City), street names (Austin Texas) and addresss (Lady Lake, FL)compeletely wrong. I know the 2007 system is updated and includes better maps and an improved screen look, but I'd still have to advise against it. I checked with Mazda to see how much the upated 2007 DVD from the CX-7 (same system) costs and at $500, it seems like a rip to me. GM navigation systems include 2 free updates over the life of the system. At $2,200 for the OEM system, you'd think Mazda could do the same.

If I had to do it over, I'd get a Garmin or Tom-Tom, they cost a whole lot less than the OEM system and over time can be updated via downloads on the net.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
the nuvi 660 & 680 are amazing, they're by Garmin. Also, there's a new Tom Tom that looks pretty decent for around $450. 20 gig built in hard drive and you can download new voices, ie Sean Connery could be telling you where to go, how sweet would that be?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts