Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a few questions that I don't know if they are even possible, but hell thought I would give em a shot! I have searched a lot and only found bits and pieces, no definitive answers.

1. If I bought an OEM Navi screen the fits in the center dash, coudl I get a aftermarket GPS to hook up to just that? Do they make a GPS and DVD player combo? (dream world huh) That way I coudl have factory look minus the controls in the console :( (which I like)

2. This is for Ipod gurus... is it possible to take a screen out of your Ipod and place it say in a gauge pod? We have gauges and we have Ipods why not put your read out with everything else... just as important to see your music and videos right?:) Then you could mount your controls elsewhere... I know there are already Ipod integration units with screens, but they don't allow you to use the steering wheel or radio controls (that I am aware of) Could you hook your Ipod into something to have it display on the OEm screen mention above?

I am just wondering about this... any help or ideas or other products I should look at is greatly appreciated... please keep them constructive though.. thanks!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
[quote author=beyondink link=topic=139387.msg3004363#msg3004363 date=1237479577]
Ok I have a few questions that I don't know if they are even possible, but hell thought I would give em a shot! I have searched a lot and only found bits and pieces, no definitive answers.

1. If I bought an OEM Navi screen the fits in the center dash, coudl I get a aftermarket GPS to hook up to just that? Do they make a GPS and DVD player combo? (dream world huh) That way I coudl have factory look minus the controls in the console :( (which I like)

2. This is for Ipod gurus... is it possible to take a screen out of your Ipod and place it say in a gauge pod? We have gauges and we have Ipods why not put your read out with everything else... just as important to see your music and videos right?:) Then you could mount your controls elsewhere... I know there are already Ipod integration units with screens, but they don't allow you to use the steering wheel or radio controls (that I am aware of) Could you hook your Ipod into something to have it display on the OEm screen mention above?

I am just wondering about this... any help or ideas or other products I should look at is greatly appreciated... please keep them constructive though.. thanks!!
[/quote]

1. No. Your best bet would be the dabears2k group buy that's going on. Check out the thread to take a look. DVD/GPS/with the OEM look and fit.

2. Not sure, don't have an iPod.

3. The Car Advance Unit has a special connector to iPods that actually registers on the head unit. Not sure of the DSS one that dabears2k is offering.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
1) I assume you mean the center dash above the vents where the OEM NAV is, yes? If so there is an aftermarket motorized monitor that you can find on www.thexenonstore.com. You can run a specific garmin NAV receiver into that, and you could plug a DVD player into one of the inputs. The monitor plugs inline with the HU harness so it's completely plug and play.

2) The only ipod modules which have external screens are the drive and plays, and the alpine one (in my input thread). Those are completely outside of the HU, so that's why you're not getting control through the HU. If you want wheel controls and you want to see the screen then I'd recommend going with something like the grom ipod module (which doesn't lock out the screen) and use a vent clip from proclipusa to mount the ipod itself on the center vents.

Alternately if you're getting that flip up monitor you could do something a little more tricky. Also listed in my audio input thread is a DICE ipod dock with a video output. Basically the ipod connects to the dock through the dock connector, and then you could plug an ipod integration module into the dock. Then you run the video output to your new flip up monitor and you can control the ipod from the stereo controls and watch it's screen through the flip up monitor.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
now we are talking! yes the OEM above the vents... I have a grom and have thought about getting a mount for the Ipod.. stil deciding on that... I like the thought of being able to have my ipod show on the screen and I want to add gps and possibly dvd, though not that important. I like the dice since it will give text on the HU screen... may go with that then I wouldn't care about the info showing on an external screen, then I would just use it for gps and maybe dvd. Looks like I have some reading to do... but at this point I think the Xenonstore flip up is my best bet and add an external gps to it... then get the dice to integrate the Ipod.....more research is gonna be needed I think :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts