Mazda3 Forums banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

· Registered
2,459 Posts
Don't do anything because you "want it now" -- that's bad...

I did that with my car back in December, and it's been a headache ever since -- love the car though.

But I should have waited until April when I could actually afford it - with NAV and Xenon too...

Instead, I'm digging through the couch for loose change to make payment....

· Registered
2,459 Posts
Yeah, but there have been a lot of times that I really wish I had the nav.

My only other option that I'm considering down the road is a touch screen pioneer or alpine unit (or if someone else makes a nice one) with the screen that collapses into a single DIN structure. Then, if there's enough clearance front and back, I might opt to place it where the Passenger Airbag light/Cigarette lighter is. The unit cost is virtually the same, just install that might tweak it.

At least then, as a touch screen, it's closer to where my hand is anyway (with the shifter). Plus, assuming clearance is good, it's nice and neat in that area, and I don't rip out a nice functioning radio.

· Registered
1,600 Posts
ah. well, i usually have my laptop with me anyway, and it has mapping software on it already so i can always use that. and gps units are cheap enough now that i could get one of those and hook it up to the laptop if i really needed to.

· Registered
13 Posts
So vaBooM your getting the dvd screen/motor/compartment assembly and your planning on installing it on a mazda3 with a normal dash that doesnt have the place for it?

Hmm i live in canada, ontario on the border of detroit michigan and i want the DVD system badly because i was going to order a Winning Blue HB on the weekend loaded but then i realised that it wasnt quite loaded compared to the US.

So youve ordered this system from a secret source minus the remote and DVD part, so basically you can do anything with the screen once you get it in, right? I mean it shouldnt be that hard to figure out.

I think that the mazda3 US stock stereo and dvd look a lot sleeker then any aftermarket systems, and for 200 for the coolest part which is the stock screen thats motorized, thats a huge deal.

The dealer told me he could put xenons in the Mazda3 in canada so im not worried about that even though i dont think he knows what hes talking about, but i saw xenon bulbs in their accessories case so i figured that he might not be that far from the truth.

Who are you getting this screen from by the way? I guessi couldnt blame ya if u waited to tell everyone until you had your screen assembly already shipped for fear that this mystery person will cancel your deal if it gets too much attention. I wish there was some way to order OEM replacement parts from mazda direct without having to deal with stupid Regional Distributors and the dealers who know only what comes in the manual.

Its been a month i see , i think, since you said u ordered this thing, so any news on how its coming or anything?

· Registered
2,757 Posts
Im getting the screen from an old time friend, that works in the parts dept at Mazda. Originally, I was able to get them for all those that wanted them. Since last week, I got news that noone can now get it. Mazda only made so many, so if people purchased them, there might be a shortage. Hes not sure on specifics on why Mazda wont allow sales of the screen/vent panel itself.

What we did was, claim a loaded 3 on the dealer lot got broken into and needed the screen/vent replacement. As stated in other threads, Mazda will ONLY sell the screen/vent panel to dealer insurance claims.

There has been boatloads of people calling the dealer asking about the screen. And everyone gets denied. Hehe. Unfortunately, I will have to wait a few months before the panel arrives.

· Registered
85 Posts
Ouch so nobody can get it now? that pretty much crushes my hope of getting a mazda3. Damn U, you canadian idiots at Mazda Canada! Being an American/Canadian Dual citizen living in canada has never sucked so much.... Has anyone started a Sell DVD systems as dealer installed packages petition yet? I cant think of anything else more hopeless at this point.

· Registered
85 Posts
vaBooM said:
I got news that noone can now get it.
Except maybe you? Hmm how likely are you to get your mazda3 robbed of its dvd system repeatedly until us here on mazda3forums are all happy? :wink: JK. That seriously blows though, mazda manufactures the tv screen and dvd assembly right? Or do they get an outsourcing partner to make it for them? lol its amazing thecreative ideas you get when your countries distributor is as nearsighted as Canadas.

Well if anyone knows if its possible to import i started my own "help me" thread in the canada section http://www.mazda3forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=3451 if anyone knows anything. Lol i want that NAV.

· Registered
2,757 Posts
Its possible its outsourced. My friend updates me all the time when cool things come out (for any manufacturer, virtually). He thinks that in a few months, enough systems will be available. But @ $2655, you might as well get it as an option instead of adding it later.

Ill keep everyone interested informed when the panel arrives, and when more are available.

· Registered
85 Posts
ok ya im stuck in canada and im gonna end up getting a fully loaded canadian hatchback. canada doesnt have the dvd option so im definetly going to be eagerly waiting your update posts lol. thanks VaBoom, cant wait to see how the installation goes. It should be in when? Mid April?

· Registered
2,757 Posts
I really dont know. I got one of those responses "Man.. it'll be awhile". So I wouldnt surprised if it was May-June.

On the computer, the part has a N/A next to Stock.. then it has a little note. It says unknown, but a quick call to Mazda and they think a few months.

· Registered
85 Posts
so basically they havent manufactured these replacement parts then yet right? maybe once they start manufacturing them and they have a lot of stock, your buddy might be able to pull a few strings more easily? Sounds like right now they dont have any replacement parts anywhere to take care of even those insurance claims, so hopefully they will overproduce when it comes to the replacement parts and us unlucky canadians can have a chance to get the cool video system. Anyways thanks for the update VaBoom

· Registered
2,757 Posts
Thats my guess... either they are backed up making them in-house or the people making them arent getting paid enough. Who knows.

Hes tried to pull some strings to get some additional for me and himself to sell. Mazda didnt guarantee anything.

· Registered
165 Posts
I'm guessing that the reason there is no navigation option in Canada is that the software being used has minimal coverage of Canada. If this is the case, Mazda probably didn't want to offer it, since they'd probably get a lot of pissed off people that expected maps of all cities.

I bought a Garmin handheld GPS a little over a year ago, for hiking. It's great for that, but navigation was limited because of the lack of Canadian maps. It only covered Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Vancouver. They have finally just released full Canadian maps, but they were a long time coming.

So if your reason for wanting it is for navigation, you might want to do a little looking into who provides the software and what maps are available.

However, from your post I get the feeling you want it to watch DVDs in your car. And as far as that goes, I think it should be illegal in the front seat and strictly enforced (which would be difficult).

· Registered
85 Posts
vaBooM said:
Thats my guess... either they are backed up making them in-house or the people making them arent getting paid enough. Who knows.

Hes tried to pull some strings to get some additional for me and himself to sell. Mazda didnt guarantee anything.
Ok sweet, well let me know if he ever gets anywhere with that because I definetly want that screen system, its just so damn cool.

winningblue said:
However, from your post I get the feeling you want it to watch DVDs in your car. And as far as that goes, I think it should be illegal in the front seat and strictly enforced (which would be difficult).
And what winningblue said about the front screen for dvds, i dunno if someone wanted to enough they could do iffy stuff like play dvds when they drive, but its all about responsibility. People will distract themselves one way or another and be bad drivers if thats what they are and they will suffer the consequences. with that said i still think that dvd in the front seat should be discouraged but making it illegal wont do anything i think people will find their ways. Anyways itd be cool to have this screen as VaBoom is doing because he can install a dvd player to use at his own responsibility when he isnt driving or whatever i dont care, but he can also install his own navigation sytem through the video feed for a lot cheaper then what mazda is offering the system for, which i think is why its such a great deal.

You also said that their dvd systems dont cover all of canada, but its funny because the RX-8 still has the dvd option in canada and it uses the same navigation system as the 3s do in the United States, so i think its a little more about cutting corners and selling the cars and making more affordable, also why they didnt offer the side airbags in canada, just ways to cut costs to save money and make the car more marketable to a certain target audience or consumer base or whatever its called.

I also recognize that mazda probably doesnt want people buying dvd screens as replacement/accessories when theyre trying to market them as mulit-thousand dollar packages in certain countries. But, in canada the dvd isnt even avalible so i bet that a lot of people want this screen that Vaboom is lucky enough to get for 275 bucks

· Registered
2,757 Posts
Depending on the how hard they are to get. It wouldnt be more than what we paid for it... My friend would probably want like $20 or so. Nothing insane. If they are cake to get, then shipping only.

So far, Ive paid $278 for the unit. Guess we have to wait and see.

· Registered
85 Posts
vaBooM said:
Depending on the how hard they are to get. It wouldnt be more than what we paid for it... My friend would probably want like $20 or so. Nothing insane. If they are cake to get, then shipping only.

So far, Ive paid $278 for the unit. Guess we have to wait and see.
ok cool, so what exactly do you think this screen is going to come with? What controls the motor in the DVD equipped mazda3's? does the screen go up and down with a button on that remote pad infront of the parking brake? do you get that with your package as well?

61 - 80 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.