Mazda3 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
That's odd... I wonder why it does that.

Of course, I only consider Texas to be went when I look at NHL stats... For some reason Dallas is considered Pacific Division. I'll NEVER understand that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pictures of Nav system

dinu01 said:
Can you snap a pic of the NAV in use? We've never seen one...

Sure, let me do some over the weekend or on my Monday commute (I'm using that as a test case). The camera/cellphone didn't have enough resolution.

On a related note, I'm still learning this system's nuances. Yesterday I discovered the "Route Preview" mode, which shows a map of your origin and destination and your exact location relative to the two points. It even moves with you. For those of you who've flown internationally, it's like that TV graphic they show on trans-pacific flights. Sure, that's just a map with a jet icon, but it sure stopped my kids' "are we there yet?" questions on the way to/from Korea.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Video to Stock Nav

http://avelectronic.com

They have pictures of an RX-8 set up with a video input for DVD player, TV, etc. The RX-8 NAV unit looks identical to the one in the 3 and, therefore, we should be able to use their product to interface with our NAV.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
if we are able to contact those people with the rx-8's who installed one of those switchers in...and i get to talk to them and have them send pictures to me themselves i think ill consider it...more so than before..

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think NAV is a really good idea. I like to travel alot so it can help.... The only problem I had was the NAV wasn't offered in Canada. I would have went for it. No the question i have is if indeed you can get a NAV panel and screen afterwards... would Canadian cars even have the proper conections... since none of them would even be offered with it??
So far as my NAV solutions goes I got a Garmin IQue 3600. PDA/GPS in one. And probably nowhere even close to the price of the in dash one. Plus you can use it for more than one thing.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I discovered the ULTIMATE use for Nav today. I was looking for a new apartment, or better yet a new rental home. Following all of the ads in the paper, I went in circles in some cases trying to locate them.

It would have been nice to just dial it in, driver there, be happy. :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
funkyfreshmonke said:
can you tweak it so it does play dvds? somehow? haha or is htat even possible?
I know with my Acura you could get a converter (RGB I think), a cheap portable DVD player and do some wiring and have a DVD played on the NAV screen. Some owners even used a Playstation 2.

I would like this on the Mazda3 especially since the screen hides away.

I have the NAV and I use it more as a tool to try new routes and to verify routes. It comes in handy when you realize that MapQuest/Yahoo! maps is sending you 15 miles out of your way on a main road when you could cut across a side street.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just called avelectronic.com and they said that their dvd adaptor will work on the Mazda 3 NAV system. They told me that they have sold a few to 3 owners and it worked just fine with no problems.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
bongomav said:
I just called avelectronic.com and they said that their dvd adaptor will work on the Mazda 3 NAV system. They told me that they have sold a few to 3 owners and it worked just fine with no problems.
riight..can we contact these people? or do they have pictures....or anything credible?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had my 3 for about a month and here's some input about the NAV system .. hopefully this can help someone decide whther or not they want to get it ...

Pros

1. It looks damn cool, the picture in the brochure sold me!

2. It helps locate exact street numbers and what not for those times when you know how to get to an area but arent sure exactly where your destination is.

3. When typing in a destination letters disappear while you type so that you can type your desintation in faster.

Cons

1. The joystick is a bit cumbersome, I'd rather it be a touch screen

2. There is no simple way to turn off the voice guidance if you change your mind and decide to go somewhere different than your selected destination.

3. To update the DVD, according to the NavTech website .. the DVD costs $200!!!

Hope this helps .. if you still want pics of it in action I can try and take some this weekend.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
The Garmin units use the NAVTECH CD-Rom, two discs, all of the US in 7 different regions.

$89 at Amazon.

Don't know if it works with the DVD-NAV units though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
2. There is no simple way to turn off the voice guidance if you change your mind and decide to go somewhere different than your selected destination.

From the POS screen, press down on the joystick there's an option to delete destination and that will cancel the marked point and you won't hear the voice.

It'd be cool if you could change the voices

·
Registered
78 Posts
stupid ass Mazda Canada, i so want the NAV in my mazda3 and the Xeon as where. so sad we get nth with the mazda3. And the Asian verison get TSC as well, something that i think all car needs.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.