Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I got to spend about 20 minutes sitting in a 3 a few days ago [w/o any salesmen stopping by!] and noticed the huge/deep glovebox. Way cool. However, I was reading about the navigation system [which i want to get] on Mazda's w3 site, and it states:

"Easy to access in the glove compartment, the special DVD reader.."

Does this mean that on navigation-equipped 3's, that the glove box isn't so big? Does anyone here own a 3 with the Nav system installed? Is the glove box still deep?

Also, as it is DVD based, does that mean that it doubles as a DVD player for folks in the back/passenger seats?

TIA,

/vjl/ [proud owner of an '86 323 that will be hard to part w/ when i get a 3]

·
Registered
272 Posts
The DVD reader is monted on top of the glovebox, where the glovebox has its first recession. It takes 40-50% of the height. So yes, the glovebox becomes smaller, but still deep.

The DVD reader can only read Nav DVD. You can't play movies (it's also illegal).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll have to search for some pictures of a Nav-enabled glovebox here and see it for myself [no local dealers have a nav-enabled 3 in stock].

I am curious why viewing DVDs is illegal. In the US, as long as a player is directed to passengers, it is legal. In California, a new law was just passed that states only passengers in the back seat can use computers [i think it also covers those portible dvd players too].

I'm one of those folks that, when i used to own a cell phone, i would only use it in the car when the car was parked. I don't like distractions in the car while I'm driving. However, it would have been neat if the nav unit doubled as a dvd player.

Thanks again for the info...hope to see a nav-enabled 3 soon!

/vjl/

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm one of those folks that, when i used to own a cell phone, i would only use it in the car when the car was parked. I don't like distractions in the car while I'm driving. However, it would have been neat if the nav unit doubled as a dvd player.
There's too many people that wouldn't use it only when parked. And there's enough people on the road that can't drive already, that they don't need added distractions. A DVD player in the front should never be legal. But it sounds like some people are going to attempt to modify it so it does anyway. Too bad there's no effective way to enforce this.

·
Registered
882 Posts
There is apparently people out there who have developed kits for other mazda's that make it a functional DVD player. Can't think of any off the top of my head but if you look around you'll probably see some thread here on it. Check in the AV section. It won't be a problem for me since NAV isn't available in Canada but I can see both sides of the arguement. 1. Nice to have for the kiddies/passengers. 2. Could be quite distracting being so far forward.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts