Mazda3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
OK Adam, how does the car feel? Anyone there that can take some pics of your car running today? :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
my co-driver (Preston Jordan) will be there co-driving Joe Austin's car. He was originally going to run in STX, but decided to run STF with hopes of being able to run my car in the Finale.
Nevermind. Preston couldn't resist the STX WRX. So he'll be co-driving with Steve Garnjobst.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I hope they put the start in the middle and one goes left and the other right. I'd have to have courses that long and skinny :) with a middle start it allows for something other than slaloms :)
Yes they are going down the middle and each course is going out left and right respectively. Very good setup. Very big and fast out there. Should be fun tomorrow.

OK Adam, how does the car feel? Anyone there that can take some pics of your car running today? :)
It feels good, I took around 10 runs on the practice course and basically didn't need to change a thing. The car feels well balanced and is able to rotate nicely on this concrete. All I need to do is drop front psi more. 38-39 was too much and the inside of the front tires were actually getting significantly hotter than the middle and outside. Gonna drop to 35 psi tomorrow and I think that will help and make the car even better.

Unfortunately no pics today, I'll try to video at least one set of runs tomorrow :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Cool!!! Bring back gold for the Mazda3. :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
No Pressure

All I need to do is drop front psi more. 38-39 was too much and the inside of the front tires were actually getting significantly hotter than the middle and outside. Gonna drop to 35 psi tomorrow and I think that will help and make the car even better.
Sheesh. Guess I've gotta try lower this weekend. If you can do it, *I* can do it! Just can't figure out why mine (first set of Rivals) wore out evenly at 44#:eek:pen:

Out comes the laser temp gun.:undecided:

Tell Joe A. that Scott from Arizona says "hi".

Then, beat him like a drum.:twisted::twisted::twisted:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Also, tell joe to get a codriver for the TX event. Maybe Grady or Clancy? We are at 6 for texas...7 would be awesome :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Cool!!! Bring back gold for the Mazda3. :)
Well bringing home the gold will be a tall order. The Chhit bros will be tough plus Andres and some other good drivers..... Salenius....ect. A top 3 trophy spot would make me very happy especially at this early stage in the game. This is my first event of the year so probably going to be a little rusty. This course is going to be quite fast and the header/cat/tune not yet installed would be nice to have for the extra power and raised rev limit. Oh well, do the best with what we got :)

Sheesh. Guess I've gotta try lower this weekend. If you can do it, *I* can do it!
Try it and let me know how it turns out for you! I think you'll find some more speed there.

Tell Joe A. that Scott from Arizona says "hi".

Then, beat him like a drum.:twisted::twisted::twisted:
Yup, already ran into Joe. I'll tell'em howdy for you tomorrow. Also shot the shit with Andres for awhile and was good to see him. Saw Chhits from afar, but haven't talked to them yet. I'm sure I'll get to meet them tomorrow in grid.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Is everything ok?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Is everything ok?
No it's not, the car is freaking out intermittently on course and dash lights galore come on. I lose power steering and abs brake system is acting very funky. It appears to be some sort of electrical problem. Checked all my ground connections and they look good. The battery is old though and may be bad....Andres loaned me his extra so we're gonna give it a shot for tomorrow and hope for the best.

Really to bad too because otherwise the car is working great :/ Hopefully get it fixed and salvage this weekend tomorrow.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
When I turn the car off and back on while moving by popping the clutch it does kill the SWAS and gives NO power assist. Is it something like that? Like the car is loosing all power.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
It's sort of like the car does into limp mode and all the dash lights up like a X-mas tree mid run. ABS light, Power Steering light, E-brake light, CEL......

·
Registered
486 Posts
Doing searches, trying to help find similar issues. What is SWAS?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
steering wheel angle sensor

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
check vacuum hoses and the MAF. Have you pulled codes on it?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Not yet, I'm going to cross my fingers that it was the ragged out 7yr old battery I had in the car and Andres battery fixed the issue. I'm in the first heat/shift tomorrow so not much time to troubleshoot. With some research I foundd out we do have a hybrid electrohydraulic power steering system that can be affected by the battery and actually uses an electric motor to maintain hydraulic pressure. If it's not the battery, I'll just drive it home (seems to drive ok when not driving 10th/10ths at the autocross course) and troubleshoot it more there.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Well the good news it was just my battery and it drove fine this morning. Thanks Andres! Now I just need to drive better :)

Andres rocked it though, nice pickup today man! I'll have a video up later of some runs.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Pro Solo

VERY glad to hear it was only the battery. In Arizona they last at the most only three years; seven years is unheard of.

Looking forward to following your next adventure.

On the brighter side, you did manage to eek by Joe A.....:rolledeyes:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
VERY glad to hear it was only the battery. In Arizona they last at the most only three years; seven years is unheard of.

Looking forward to following your next adventure.

On the brighter side, you did manage to eek by Joe A.....:rolledeyes:
Yeah, me too. I guess a marginal battery can make the car act as if it's possessed....should've replaced it even though it seemed to still be working "ok."

Yeah, hey at least I beat Joe for ya ;). I'll tell ya what there was not a weak driver in this group though and the guys towards the front were driving A+++.

21 - 40 of 152 Posts