Mazda3 Forums banner

National event update thread

15K views 151 replies 13 participants last post by  andres3165 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
STF UPDATE
--------------------
Lee Chhit leading in a 2011 mini and Andres in 2nd in his mazda 2 1.2sec back after 2nd runs.

3rd runs start soon

run 3 1st drivers update:

Andres down to a 46.5 and only 9 tenths out sitting 2nd. Scott Sandowski up to 5th (last trophy spot) with a 47.5. Only 5 tenths from 3rd and thousandths from 4th. Josh Elk with a 48.2 is up to 7th about 7 tenths out of the trophies. Daniel Chhit is in 3rd and has a run still. Joe Austin is having cone trouble and has one left. Look for him to move up to the trophies.

Daniel went slower and Joe had more cones. So STF is in the books.

#6 ·
Dave, are the Chhit's running any of your old parts? I'm just wondering who to blame if they beat us all. :winker:

Looks like a lot of people having cone trouble. Bummer that Joe didn't get a single clean run. Andres is off to a great start.

It's really torturous having to follow this stuff online. It's been 5-1/2 months since I last autocrossed! :frown:

#7 ·
Well...the next 2 weeks will be Mazda3 domination. Adam in Blytheville and then me in college station. :)

Chin up. :)

I didn't sell Chhit my stuff. The millers in Washington have my brake pad and rear trailing arms though. Their car should be a front runner. I need to get my HP up though. :)

#8 ·
Andres had a pretty good showing, finishing 2nd. Looks like Todd adapted well to Andres' car on day 2. (Todd's Mini had mechanical issues.)

Apparently Lee Chhit just built his STF Mini in the last month or so. Almost a one second lead on both days for first place.

#9 ·
It will be interesting to see the overall PAX numbers. I only know Sam Strano as one of the top National drivers there; who are some others? The top STF car paxed a 992 against Sam.

Also STF essentially tied the best STC car raw for day one (day two missing at the moment), and was eight tenths of a pax second better than STS for the weekend. Not sure of the level of competition among that group, don't know the names or histories.

Some interesting comparisons initially. Need more events, drivers and courses to assess farther.

#10 ·
Hard to compare since G Street got rained out and didn't run. Along with CP and others in the last heat.

Next weekend is Blytheville. Adam, you're going to upload pics and results here right? :)

#13 ·
Wish I coulda been there again this year, but too much life right now. Not sure I'll get a race in til May...hopefully be at the Atlanta Match Tour. Lots of car work to do before then too.

Btw, Chhit brothers were racing an STX MS3 for the last couple years.

Go get'em over the next couple weeks boys!

#17 ·
Any chance you'll make it to Texas? If I keep asking you'll have to say yes eventually. We miss ya back here Andres

#19 ·
Cool, I'll be sure to swing by and say hello to Preston. Btw Justin, I'm planning on hitting Spring Nats at Lincoln and also one of the Wilmington events so we'll be able to hang and talk shop before Nats.

Here is the new Blytheville layout for the Pro this year....gonna be massive courses!

Here's a video of last year for comparison from the top of my car in RTF. I'm getting pumped!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVjtwS53Les

#20 ·
I hope they put the start in the middle and one goes left and the other right. I'd have to have courses that long and skinny :) with a middle start it allows for something other than slaloms :)

#23 · (Edited)
Yes they are going down the middle and each course is going out left and right respectively. Very good setup. Very big and fast out there. Should be fun tomorrow.

OK Adam, how does the car feel? Anyone there that can take some pics of your car running today? :)
It feels good, I took around 10 runs on the practice course and basically didn't need to change a thing. The car feels well balanced and is able to rotate nicely on this concrete. All I need to do is drop front psi more. 38-39 was too much and the inside of the front tires were actually getting significantly hotter than the middle and outside. Gonna drop to 35 psi tomorrow and I think that will help and make the car even better.

Unfortunately no pics today, I'll try to video at least one set of runs tomorrow :)

#27 · (Edited)
Well bringing home the gold will be a tall order. The Chhit bros will be tough plus Andres and some other good drivers..... Salenius....ect. A top 3 trophy spot would make me very happy especially at this early stage in the game. This is my first event of the year so probably going to be a little rusty. This course is going to be quite fast and the header/cat/tune not yet installed would be nice to have for the extra power and raised rev limit. Oh well, do the best with what we got :)

Sheesh. Guess I've gotta try lower this weekend. If you can do it, *I* can do it!
Try it and let me know how it turns out for you! I think you'll find some more speed there.

Tell Joe A. that Scott from Arizona says "hi".

Then, beat him like a drum.:twisted::twisted::twisted:
Yup, already ran into Joe. I'll tell'em howdy for you tomorrow. Also shot the shit with Andres for awhile and was good to see him. Saw Chhits from afar, but haven't talked to them yet. I'm sure I'll get to meet them tomorrow in grid.

#26 ·
Also, tell joe to get a codriver for the TX event. Maybe Grady or Clancy? We are at 6 for texas...7 would be awesome :)

#28 ·
#31 ·
No it's not, the car is freaking out intermittently on course and dash lights galore come on. I lose power steering and abs brake system is acting very funky. It appears to be some sort of electrical problem. Checked all my ground connections and they look good. The battery is old though and may be bad....Andres loaned me his extra so we're gonna give it a shot for tomorrow and hope for the best.

Really to bad too because otherwise the car is working great :/ Hopefully get it fixed and salvage this weekend tomorrow.

#32 ·
When I turn the car off and back on while moving by popping the clutch it does kill the SWAS and gives NO power assist. Is it something like that? Like the car is loosing all power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.