Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i first testdrove the car, i talked to my mazda dealer, and as i asked about putting an eibach kit in, he just said its absolutely not necessary since the mz3 has such a great handling. he said he would just suggest to lower it by putting in shorter springs. and i think im gonna follow his suggestion.

what do you guys think? whats your experience with eibach on great stock carriage?

@guys who got already a MZ3: do you think it will change/optimize the carriage by puttin in eibach? or will maybe get some loss on skills?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Well you'd probably want to wait and make sure that Eibach has the properly tuned shocks rather than just grabbing whatever one you can find. I assume they do have them out but if not then I'd wait. The car pulls over .80g on the skidpad, that's pretty good for most cars. I'd probably agree that if you wanted to improve handing a lot your better to look at some good springs over shocks. But that's just me.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Personally, I probably will not be looking to change the springs. It is already fairly firm and the fender gap is acceptable. I just don't think much will be accomplished by swapping in Eibach springs. Maybe it can be lowered another inch? I'd be concerned about ride quality because as it is with stock springs, the ride is a nice combination of good ride and great handling.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'd agree, I've had well tuned and lowered cars over the years and unless I would be autocrossing or road racing I just can't justify the marginal increase in handling performance for the beating my kidneys take. ;)

But hey if your into that then I'd say springs first.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Does Mazda have a premium tuner dedicated to them? I am not talking about the in-house Mazdaspeed effort. I am thinking more like Comptech for Honda/Acura. Comptech springs cost more than Eibach springs, but they offer better results due to more dedicated vehicle-specific research. They also offer matched springs and shock sets that you can buy. I think a set of those and some new sway bars will turn the Mazda3 into a track-carver. I am still a Honda guy so I have zippy knowledge of the Mazda world.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Sorry I thought he was talking about Eibach shocks.

As far as aftermarket, what about Racing Hart?

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Racing Beat seems to be the house that Mazda relies on, however, they don't appear to be too efficient.

I have no complaints about the Mazda3's handling, out of the box. Tout and very responsive from my test drive yesterday! If anything, I'd lower the car first, then when the time comes to replace the shocks, go aftermarket.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have to ask again: what is a coilover??? (im not born with the english language, and i just cant find the translation anywhere...) so, pls. explain.
i just can translate the word coil, and the word over, but i really cant imagine what that together should be. posting a picture ore kind of good explain should help. thx!

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Coilover: Its a threaded shock body that has an adjustable lower spring perch.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'll elaborate a bit by saying that the purpose of coil-overs is that with an adjustable spring perch you can fine-tune the ride height of your car. But properly using coilover shocks is difficult because you have to ensure that you've adjusted the spring perch to ensure even contact pressure of all four tires. This is difficult to do without specialized set-up platforms.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that some high-performance summer tires would do more to improve handling than shorter springs. At least at this point where there doesn't appear to be a full-on Mz3 specific kit available from a respected tuner.

·
Registered
481 Posts
trolldrengi said:
I'd be willing to bet that some high-performance summer tires would do more to improve handling than shorter springs. At least at this point where there doesn't appear to be a full-on Mz3 specific kit available from a respected tuner.
yep ill back this one up... you would see more bang for your buck wrt handling from a nice set of performance tires compared to just lowering the car an inch or so with sport springs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
MrFuzzles said:
he said he would just suggest to lower it by putting in shorter springs. and i think im gonna follow his suggestion.
Rule #1: Never listen to a car salesman, most couldn't buy a clue on Ebay.

If you lower the car without increasing the spring rate (like cutting the springs) you will become very acquainted with car bottoming out as it hits the bumpstops. Most aftermarket lowering springs only increase the rates about 20-30% , just enough to try to keep you off the bumpstops.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I must say the ride of the Mazda 3's handling quit well sorted out. I personally will never lower a car car just by springs alone, but definitely with shocks as well. However must say, the rubbers that comes with, those Eagle's is good for nothing. Will change the rubbers for sure. T1S anyone heheheheehe.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
T1-S... gods gift to those that got shafted from the factory.

·
Registered
7 Posts
zaimon said:
Racing Beat seems to be the house that Mazda relies on, however, they don't appear to be too efficient.

I have no complaints about the Mazda3's handling, out of the box. Tout and very responsive from my test drive yesterday! If anything, I'd lower the car first, then when the time comes to replace the shocks, go aftermarket.
What are you talking about? Not too efficient? Please explain.

I've have several Racing Beat parts on my RX7, they are all top notch. Although, right now they are only making parts for the RX7 and Miata.

The Mazdaspeed Protege relied HEAVILY on Racing Beat. The springs and swaybars all came directly from them, and are VERY good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts