Mazda3 Forums banner

MZ3 questions - got a minute?

5K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  cameronaus 
#1 ·
I've been a Mazda man a long time - I'm currently on my 3rd RX7 (1st gen) and am now shopping the MZ3 Sport (daily driver) and could use a little advice...

I've searched around this forum and found a ton of usefull stuff - now I'm getting ready to place my order - just a couple of questions:

1) What are your thoughts on the leather interior on this car - I found it to be very stiff and nowhere near the quality of the RX8 - anyone got it and is it breaking in to a softer feel (I know it's a new car and most may not have owned it long enough to comment) -

2) 17" wheels / tires - I assume they will be crap in the snow (even with the all-seasons) - any advice or experience? Can this thing be a daily driver in winter climates without winter rims/tires?

3) Color - I'm having a tough time with this one and I know color is a personal preference - but there are 2 or 3 that look awesome (Tit grey, Blue mica, and the silver) - I'm just loking for a few comments on what htis group prefers.

4) I love the sporty feel of this car - but has anyone taken it out for a long drive? How's the comfort and noise on the highway?

thanks all - BTW, great forum withs tons of good info :D

See less See more
#27 ·
Hey Black7

1) I have black leather in my Mazda3. The leather is somewhat stiff, but being that it is "preforated" it makes it softer than my 99' Honda Accord. I'm sure after time it will soften nicely, but nowhere near what luxury cars are at.

2) I currently live near the Lake Tahoe area and it often accumalates a good amount of snow. In comparison with my 99' Honda Accord, again the Mazda3 did slightly better...given that these were new tires compared to the Honda's 1yr old tires. I guess the real key is just drive SLOWLY and try not to be a speed demon on wheels and you'll be fine.

3) As stated, color is a matter of preference. My choices were Black, Titanium and Strato Blue. I ended up getting the Titanium because it looked my classy than the Blue, and less maintenance than Black. I love the color and have no regrets.

4) I've got about 450 miles on mine and given the "break-in" period, I've been pretty good at varying the RPMs. On one trip I've traveled a good 150 miles (mostly highway), and the interior sound was quite quiet even with low profile tires and 17" rims. Again, it's not a Lexus or BMW, but it was thoroughly acceptable.

Spencer

#30 ·
zaimon said:
Hey overkast. How has the weather been treating you up there? I wouldn't be surprised if you got a couple feet of snow these past few days, was raining buckets down here in the valley.

BTW, where did you buy your Mz3 from? How was your experience there?

Thanks!
Hey Zaimon,

My first buying experience took place in Auburn, CA at Auburn Imports...they suck! Talk about your typical two-face salesperson and "Johnny Slick" mentality. I finally decided to buy in Carson City, NV and the experience was great. They didn't have any of the cars in stock, so they did a dealer trade with Modesto, CA. Got my new car exactly how I wanted and it only took 3 days. I would highly recommend them.

The weather...yeah a pretty good amount. It's suppose to storm again this week...possibly a white Christmas. So, you're in Davis, CA? Not too far out. Where did you get yours?

Spencer

#31 ·
Black7 said:
Thanks overkast - great feedback. Mine's supposed to arrive on the 28th
Congrat's Black7...you'll love the car.

I've always steered more towards entry luxury to luxury vehicles. Before purchasing my Mazda I was 100% sure that I was going to purchase the 2004 Acura TSX, but I went more with a practical route...but 80% of the luxury amenties on the Acura TSX is now on my M3. The only option that I did not get was the NAV...I couldn't justify spending $1800 on a novelty item that gives me directions...MAPQUEST is a good alternative solution :wink:

Spencer

#32 ·
is there only one power outlet available in the mz3? with all the gadgets these days, it seems multiple outlets are necessary. are there splitters you can buy so you can plug more than one component?

#34 ·
9) Carseats : Yeah I know, this won't apply to most of you out there, but I think a *few* of you are married (& may possibly have kids). Anyway, the question is, would a standard car seat fit in the backseat, in rear-facing as well as forward facing directions? This is something that could possibly prevent me from getting a 3 , in which case I would have to look at something larger.

I bought the red 5 door sport that was the only
concern.I have a 3.5year old and a10 weekold
both of their car seats fit just fine. I am 6'3 and my wife is 5'2.I drive the car the most no problems with the forward and rear carseat all the time .

I think that the m3 is the best car in its class.i am very
:D happy with the car.dave

#35 ·
Thanks for the response Dave, & congrats on the newborn! (& the mz3!). I assume the fwd facing is behind the driver's seat & the rear facing is behind the passenger seat? I know Mazda has the auto-disable for the front passenger airbag if a carseat is installed, but personally,I don't think I would ever put my kid in the front regardless of whether the airbag is disabled or not.

#36 ·
Carseat

This is just the sort of carseat information I was looking for! I'm almost 30 years old and I have a two year old and another one on the way and I like this car, but was unsure about the carseat issue.

I'm looking forward to buying it sometime soon! Thanks to you all.

#38 ·
You should've posted a new thread instead of digging one up from like 6 years ago. :lol: But to answer your question, finding a set of OEM leather seats will run you an arm and a leg and maybe a few teeth if you can find them at all. Especially the full-bucket racing seats in the MazdaSpeed3. Might want to call up yards that take totaled cars and see if you can score a set from a wrecked one.

#39 ·
1.try using a sheepskin seat cover while breaking in your new leather seat...you my get use to the comfort and protection..but as you use the seat it will work the leather.
2.look at tirerack.com and read the reviews for some good ideas and prices
3. road noise can be eliminated by up to 40% by using RUBERIZED undercoating over the existing thin undercoating...a thin closed cell foam can also be used in the drivers foot pans to soak up noise and vibration(allow for pedal comfort)...1 can 3m $10
4.color...you already bought the car...check out youtube for ways to easily detail your new toy :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.