Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
"with door open" is the key.

SPL competitions are judged with the doors closed and windows up. Keeping a door open or a window down is a way of "cheating". You allow for air to move more freely which means you get more bass.

It's always possible to break glass, the Mythbusters team unfortunately just don't really know how to do it lol. Glass breaking is usually a result of people not properly bracing their cars for the sound. As you can see, it's not the glass that flexes but the rest of the structure which causes the glass to break. As well, when you get flex (as seen in video), you lose SPL. You want to keep the sound as tight as possible.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote author=Canadian_LX link=topic=208201.msg4205305#msg4205305 date=1332266041]
"with door open" is the key.

SPL competitions are judged with the doors closed and windows up. Keeping a door open or a window down is a way of "cheating". You allow for air to move more freely which means you get more bass.

It's always possible to break glass, the Mythbusters team unfortunately just don't really know how to do it lol. Glass breaking is usually a result of people not properly bracing their cars for the sound. As you can see, it's not the glass that flexes but the rest of the structure which causes the glass to break. As well, when you get flex (as seen in video), you lose SPL. You want to keep the sound as tight as possible.
[/quote]

I know all about that I just laugh that they were like "myth busted" because they couldn't do it right. This guy blew out his windshield from flex not gonna deny it. But the mythbusters also didn't brace their car either and the myth was would the car fall apart from the subwoofers and a car subject to that much flex over time would in fact break every window in the car and rattle bolts loose and break welds so the car would fall apart. I have seen extreme spl cars (manufacturer cars) braced with plexi glass windows too break the seals on the car and pop windows. Hell I bet the pioneer car registered on the richter scale cause the concrete was vibrating under our feet. I dont know how people do it cause my ears hurt and i was 50ft+ away! Guess I am getting old LOl

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
haha yeah thats true. It was "myth busted" as you say!

The guys that do those big SPL comps are insane. The loudest i've ever sat in was a 154.x. It was a weird feeling. It didn't hurt my ears but rather my chest. I couldn't even see straight, my eyes were vibrating too much that everything was blurry. Like if I wanted to turn the volume down I wouldn't have been able to see the knob.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts