Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm new to the forums, but I came here looking for some help, I bought a 2010 Mazdaspeed 3, so 2nd gen, with only 35k miles at the time of purchase (3-4 months ago) current Mileage is 39,500. After getting the car home I did a oil change and filter change and proceeded to do another change at 37k miles and the oil level was fine. However in the last 2900 miles or so, it's lost 3 quarts of oil somehow, and I've gone to many shops and talked with my tuner (dramatuned) about the potential issues. So far all we have tried doesn't seem to be the issue. I'm going to give all the information at once to save time, but the car is full bolt on(almost everything is Corksport) Corksport cts4 turbo, catted downpipe, ets top mount intercooler, turbosmart bypass valve, corksport oil catch can, corksport coolant hoses, CS engine mounts, CS boost controller, JBR 3 inch intake, CS 3.5bar map sensor, CS HPFP internals, new spark plugs, and I think that's the most important of the mods. I had the car professionally tuned by dramatuned, and we started tuning at 36k miles, so for the first 1500 or so of tuning the car was doing great. (Also all the compression on the cylinders was good)

Now the symptoms that go along are misfires on cold starts (specifically cylinder 4) when car is cold it bogs under 25% throttle input, rattling/ticking coming from the HPFP, and sometimes I throws a running rich code and sometimes a running lean code. I live in Colorado springs so all cars naturally run rich here.

I haven't lost any oil in external leaks, there's no drips, and it's not visibily burning oil from the exhaust. There is also a decent amount of oil in the intercooling system, as well as in the intake (sometimes it costs the maf sensor and it gets mad about it) I've done both a leak down and boost leak test, and both came back good so far.

Things I've already checked are the HPFP internals for a bad seal ring or something, the turbine in the turbo has a little bit of play but I keep hearing that's normal (it's only left to right up/down play, no in and out play) so I am doubtful it's the turbo seals, I've checked compression, and looked inside the cylinders, nothing stood out as out of the ordinary.

I'll really appreciate any help from anyone, I can't seem to figure it out at all, and the shops are also puzzled by this situation. My next item on the list to check is the HPFP relief valve, will update the thread if it turns out to be that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Why Are u looking at the fuel system for oil loss? You're gonna make a shops manager very happy to order you new injectors, seals, fuel lines, pump etc. And it won't fix it.

You said blowby in the boost tubes so go to the pcv system. I'd rip off the EGR valve too and take no less than (1) can brake cleaner to that sob, because if it isn't acting up now, it will be.

Change the pcv valve, get a new gasket, start there. You'll get a good look at the injectors while you're working there and will probably want to replace the throttle body gasket too and clean it carefully.

Also pull your valve cover or at the minimum ignition coils. It's not uncommon for the inner seals of the valve cover to leak oil down the spark plug tubes but to lose 3 quarts I'd say it's not just that.

Don't get denso plugs they're the fking devil on the genpu. Order oem only and pray to baby jeezus your turbo isn't shot.

Lastly if it comes down to it , I'd remove the oil lines from the turbo, clean them out well and good, find diagrams of how they're supposed to be. Possible they mixed up the feed and return lines where the stupid banjo bolts are with the orifice holes (look like brake bleeder screw holes on a threaded bolt).

Clean your oil system , refill it, 5w30 Castrol and pray to baby Jesus some more. Good luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello! I'm new to the forums, but I came here looking for some help, I bought a 2010 Mazdaspeed 3, so 2nd gen, with only 35k miles at the time of purchase (3-4 months ago) current Mileage is 39,500. After getting the car home I did a oil change and filter change and proceeded to do another change at 37k miles and the oil level was fine. However in the last 2900 miles or so, it's lost 3 quarts of oil somehow, and I've gone to many shops and talked with my tuner (dramatuned) about the potential issues. So far all we have tried doesn't seem to be the issue. I'm going to give all the information at once to save time, but the car is full bolt on(almost everything is Corksport) Corksport cts4 turbo, catted downpipe, ets top mount intercooler, turbosmart bypass valve, corksport oil catch can, corksport coolant hoses, CS engine mounts, CS boost controller, JBR 3 inch intake, CS 3.5bar map sensor, CS HPFP internals, new spark plugs, and I think that's the most important of the mods. I had the car professionally tuned by dramatuned, and we started tuning at 36k miles, so for the first 1500 or so of tuning the car was doing great. (Also all the compression on the cylinders was good)

Now the symptoms that go along are misfires on cold starts (specifically cylinder 4) when car is cold it bogs under 25% throttle input, rattling/ticking coming from the HPFP, and sometimes I throws a running rich code and sometimes a running lean code. I live in Colorado springs so all cars naturally run rich here.

I haven't lost any oil in external leaks, there's no drips, and it's not visibily burning oil from the exhaust. There is also a decent amount of oil in the intercooling system, as well as in the intake (sometimes it costs the maf sensor and it gets mad about it) I've done both a leak down and boost leak test, and both came back good so far.

Things I've already checked are the HPFP internals for a bad seal ring or something, the turbine in the turbo has a little bit of play but I keep hearing that's normal (it's only left to right up/down play, no in and out play) so I am doubtful it's the turbo seals, I've checked compression, and looked inside the cylinders, nothing stood out as out of the ordinary.

I'll really appreciate any help from anyone, I can't seem to figure it out at all, and the shops are also puzzled by this situation. My next item on the list to check is the HPFP relief valve, will update the thread if it turns out to be that.
Oh and my 10 ms3 I was on my third turbo my 40 k and a rebuilt transmission, not to mention a shit Ton of other parts. By necessity too, not choice. GL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh and my 10 ms3 I was on my third turbo my 40 k and a rebuilt transmission, not to mention a shit Ton of other parts. By necessity too, not choice. GL
I really appreciate the help! I'll give the pcv valve a check and clean the Egr. You asked why I'm checking the fuel system, and it's because not only am I losing alot of oil, but the oil is very fuel soaked 😅 so they might be separate issues, but they both came up at the same time so I assume their related. I would like to figure out where the fuel is mixign with the oil, I had a buddy come by and look at the turbo, and he says it might be shot. But I would like to find the reason for the fuel soak too!

And I don't believe the valve cover gasket is leaking, there's no oil on top or inside/outside the valve cover. However I did notice a small oil leak develop from what looks like the pcv valve location, so I'll make that my priority.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts