Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THe plastic underbody cover uner my engine broke and was dragging on the ground..... 120$ CDN to replace it! So be careful not to hit any chunks of ice or anyhting! (I don't remember hitting anything but they said it was scratched.....probably from when it was dragging on the ground lol)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Bummer... It was probably from when you were hill hopping!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mine's broke too. And someone else on here said their's did as well. Mine's only got a corner broke off it, but it still hangs on fine. The service guy showed me a few weeks ago when I got my oil changed. It's a pretty flimsy piece.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah call me a fool..... but i think mine got broken when i drove over a parking block hahhahah, i didn't see it and there were cars all around so i figured ok ill just pull through....and being winter i felt the resistance of it but figure it was a plow line so i kept going....and being new @ standard i stalled and lurched over it, but yeah 120$ or something, riciculous! so many more fun things i could do for that much money!!! ....anyone know or have any suggestions as to if this piece is really necessay? (its the foremost cover....i believe to protect the oil pan and engine)

·
Registered
526 Posts
It might have something to do w/ underbody aerodynamics / the cooling system, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It is partially for aerodynamics but its much more useful function is as a splashguard from water kicking up into your engine compartment. Water mixed with road crap can be very corosive (obviously) and can cause wires hoses and metal components that arn't treated very heavily I.E brackets and such to weather much quicker. Also extensive water on belts = bad... again, obvious... but true.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts