Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i want to set up my suspension on my car. it's mostly going to be a daily driven car. going to school, work, girlfriends house, etc. so here is what i was thinking:

eibach pro-kit(for sure)
rear sway bar(can't decide which one, but leaning towards racing beats or mazdaspeed)
front sway bar(not now but latter on)
front and rear strut(maybe)
cambers(don't know too much about it, so any help would be good)

and anything else you guys could think i should get to stiffen up my suspension. I want to have fun around corners and too loose all that body roll or at least most of it and to do some canyon runnings with my buddies and maybe take it the track, but not too sure on the track thing. well thanks for all the help. i really appreciate it.

godwin!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Take a little bit of time and learn what does what on your car before you spend your hard-earned money.

Here are some good posts. If you're read them through, good :)

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=64546.0
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=24454.0

You may wish to consider a set of good shock absorbers.

If you get RB rear sway, you really really really should get the matching front swaybar at the same time. You probably don't want to be canyon carving with such a setup - it will be a rather unbalanced setup. Sways will reduce body roll a bit, but nowhere near as much as lowering springs.

Camber: lowering your car will make camber more negative, especially in the rear (the strut fronts don't gain much camber when lowered). The only camber kits I know of is are for the rear and they make camber more postive (ie, stock is -1.5 degrees --> lower with springs, you go to -3.0 degrees rear camber--> install camber kit to get back to -1.5 degrees). At or near the limits, you may find that with more negative camber, you will get more tire to stick in corners. Depending on your intent, this may or may not be desirable.

What is undesirable however, is any driving behaviour that approaches such grip limits on a public road, so if you're going to carve, please carve within your limits.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote author=HeaTransfer link=topic=68830.msg1190885#msg1190885 date=1170809497]
Take a little bit of time and learn what does what on your car before you spend your hard-earned money.

Here are some good posts. If you're read them through, good :)

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=64546.0
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=24454.0

You may wish to consider a set of good shock absorbers.

If you get RB rear sway, you really really really should get the matching front swaybar at the same time. You probably don't want to be canyon carving with such a setup - it will be a rather unbalanced setup. Sways will reduce body roll a bit, but nowhere near as much as lowering springs.

Camber: lowering your car will make camber more negative, especially in the rear (the strut fronts don't gain much camber when lowered). The only camber kits I know of is are for the rear and they make camber more postive (ie, stock is -1.5 degrees --> lower with springs, you go to -3.0 degrees rear camber--> install camber kit to get back to -1.5 degrees). At or near the limits, you may find that with more negative camber, you will get more tire to stick in corners. Depending on your intent, this may or may not be desirable.

What is undesirable however, is any driving behaviour that approaches such grip limits on a public road, so if you're going to carve, please carve within your limits.
[/quote]

thanks for all the help. well yeah im plan on getting lowering springs for sure. but for the shocks, that will probably have to wait to the later future since right now thats too much money. and yeah, i know my limits when going around the corners (learned the hard way) and as for canyon runnings, i'll only be doing that like once in every blue moon. so not too often and if i do i probably wont even take the car to its full limits around the mountains until im more comfortable with my driving. so i pretty much just want a good handling car around the streets. but then again i dont want to loose my comfort as well and i know the koni shocks would be the best modification, but like i posted before, thats too rich for my blood. so a fun, good handling car around the city is pretty much what i am looking for at this moment. might change in the future, but for now thats all. so any other advice or even a set up that you guys would think will be good for me would be very appreciated. thanks for all the help

godwin

ps. those links were a good read!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts