Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been on S-techs for about 4 months now. That's about 7000 miles.

Has anyone noticed the ride getting more bumpy?

I definitely know that the ride is more bumpy than when I first got S-techs on my car. The big question is how many people have had S-techs for 5k-10k miles, and have you made any observations?

Now the ride is tolerable by all means... I just think that the shocks are wearing down and providing less damping than before, but I can't tell if it's placebo, or a slight tire pressure change, etc... I just can't compare the ride to anything since I havn't been in a stock Mazda3 in a long time.

The shocks are by no means BLOWN, they just seem like they might be wearing which is what I expected.

I really want adjustable damping shocks such as Koni Yellows, but I don't want them to wear down after 7K miles...

So should I get prokits to go with the Koni Yellows or FSDs? Or perhaps go with a coilover set? hmmm

Update: I decided on going with Koni FSD/Eibach Prokit combo and bought them already. :)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I had my s-tech's on for about 6 months now ...

just drove my car out to Las Vegas for So. Cal. about

225 miles back and fourth & I like the ride alot now...

I was thinking of getting koni yellow's right after I lowered my car..

but i'm holding off..

Really satisfied with the ride quality ... but it would deffinatly be

nice to have Koni's, there adjustable .. you can't lose with that :D

If think i'll save up for D2 coilovers...

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I find that after 1 month the ride changed ... they become real soft ..
but they are closer to OEM ..

I'll wait and slap some shocks or else Imma gonna buy TEIN SS coilovers

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hehe, odd...

For me the ride was softer when I first got them, but now it seems a bit more bumpy.

I'd definitely like to see more damping... I hope my shocks are ok.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Naw I don't feel that the ride is like OEM. The ride has just been noticed to be more stiff. As it should be because of the whole lowering aspect of the springs. If the s-techs were like OEM then wouldn't u think that the car would botom out? They need to be stiff to be able to support the ride from bottoming out. I also just recently drove to Vegas back in November. The ride was great nothing really that bad about the ride, even with 4 grown guys and who knows how much luggage was in the trunk :klavergreg:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
True... the drive to vegas was'nt that bad all on s-techs, but I did have my stock wheels on though...

Not sure how the ride would be on 40 series tires....

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree, Not long ago I increased my tire pressure to 38psi all around and wow was it bumpy and stiff.

The steering response felt great though and the car was tossable.

I think I prefer about 34-35 psi though because it adds some comfort... I have the OEM 17s with RS-As still pushing 24k miles on them with still some tread life. :)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
[quote author=HouRman link=topic=65599.msg1124692#msg1124692 date=1167409337]
with RS-As still pushing 24k miles on them with still some tread life. :)
[/quote]

Wow...I have almost 9k miles and two of my RSA's are bald.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I probably have 75% highway crusing miles on mine, plus aggressive oversteering from time to time.

I bet with conservative driving and lots of highway driving people should be getting 30K easily.

I plan on getting 27K until mine hits the wear indicators.

·
Registered
214 Posts
i had my stech for 40k km and yes the ride is a bit bumper now then at first bu the shocks are still in great shape.. not much comfort lost.. either that or you get use to them.. i was thinking coilovers next but i might go with the koni's since in winter i use my car and i don't know how the coilover will react in cold weather (rusting,stc..)

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have had my s-techs for a long time, over a year I'd say, the roads are shitty where im at and I am just starting to notice loss of performace in my dampers. I will probly go with mazdaspeed ones for replacement. No point in getting tein coil-overs for me as I fear the spring rate on my roads.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on Koni Yellows. Seems a lot of people (with other cars) have had success with S-tech/Koni Yellows. The other option I was gonna go with was Prokit/FSD. This will cost me like an extra $200 or so, but the ride should be more comfortable... decisions decisions...

It took me like 6-7 hours for my first spring install. With the metal/bolt spindle technique I'm hoping I'll be able to do springs and shocks in 4 hours. hehe

Those with S-techs... It is likely that high frequency damping on OEM shocks will decrease substantially after a year of use.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
[quote author=HouRman link=topic=65599.msg1130940#msg1130940 date=1167843520]
Those with S-techs... It is likely that high frequency damping on OEM shocks will decrease substantially after a year of use.
[/quote]
Is that a good thing or bad thing? =P

·
Registered
544 Posts
more off topic, who sells yellow for our car?

·
Registered
46 Posts
i have had my stechs for about 15k miles. i am taking them off. my shocks are blown and i have noticed that when my car is in the air, the springs actually are rubbing against themselves. i have never been so dissapointed in a suspension product as these. the car looks great but is almost undrivable.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wouldn't say the S-techs are a poor suspension product. I would just say that you need to upgrade shocks to something like Koni Yellows if you plan on keeping the S-techs longer than 5k-10k miles. It's the nature of the aggressive drop and is expected.

I'd have to say my shocks were worn down, but I wouldn't call them blown.

Plus, after inspection, I TOO noticed the springs coils touch. Hence the plastic protection pieces wrapped around the "static" coils of the spring. It's a dual stage spring which means there are supposed to be coils touching. It helps seat the spring during suspension movement and provides no additional spring rate while static.

As for my Eibach Pro-kits, I'm pleased with the drop. It looks more even front to back and although not as aggressive/slammed as the S-techs... It has an OEM look that's decent.

Only time will tell how the FSD/Prokits will hold up for me. So far, i'm very pleased with them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts