Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having this problem on my 2016 Mazda 3. I pressed the tool with a short extension on it into the driver's side caliper and turned clockwise, and it rewound. I expected the passenger side to wind the opposite direction. (WRONG!) But when I pushed in and turned clockwise, it just spun without winding in.
I read in a range rover forum that it should only take about 14 quarter turns, which would be 3 1/2 turns, and that is about right, but the passenger side just wouldn't catch.
A post on a mazda forum said there was a spring trying to keep it from rewinding, and on the mazda the spring is among the strongest.
The solution I came up with is in this photo:
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Vehicle

The quickgrip clamp provided the pressure I needed, and I turned the tool clockwise using a small pair of robogrip pliers, though I suspect a screwdriver through the holes in the side of the tool would work. I was able to turn about 3/4 of a turn before I had to tighten the clamp.
Since it took me a long time to find out what I was doing wrong, I figured this could be a big help to someone else.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts