Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the story. It's very cold and dry up here in the northeast. I get into my car after work (12 degrees out) start the car and turn on the radio, everything is fine and working as normal. I get my ipod out and go to plug it in (I have an Auxmod Basic) and I get a large static discharge between the jack to the Auxmod and the ipod along with a loud pop over the speakers and then silence. My first thoughts were "Oh shit, I've toasted the output stage of my head unit".

I proceed to push the channel buttons and the FM/AM button but nothing. I then hit the CD button and presto, SOUND. Ok, so I hit the MEDIA button to try my ipod and that works just fine too, so I go back to the radio, NOTHING :? I had to get to the opticians to pick up some glasses, so I put it back to the ipod and went on my way. When I reached my destination I tried the radio one more time, still NOTHING. I turned off the car and picked up my glasses.

When I restarted the car and turned on the head unit the radio worked just fine. What the hell just happened????

From now on I'll make sure I'm fully discharged and the head unit is off before I plug my ipod in. Anybody else experience this??

I

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ive had similiar issues, I have the Audio Link iPod adapter. Its only done it twice and only during very cold weather. When I start the car, it refuses to even try to play a CD, and its like the radio disables the CD function so I cant even listen to my iPod. I try everything, taking the cd out, trying different cd's but the damn thing will not respond. Only the FM/AM works. Then the next time I go to start my car everything works fine...

I think it might be something to do with some sorta fail-safe on the head unit that has to do with inclement weather.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm still thinking the "shutdown" was related to the static discharge, there must be some type of overvoltage shutdown circuit in the head unit. I had my gloves on and apparently hadn't come into close enough contact with the body of the car to discharge myself. The ironic thing is that I had on my "ESD" (electro-static discharge) wriststrap on that I use in work. I just plug it into ground whenever I'm handling electronics. I guess I'll need to add a ground jack to the car to plug myself into before I touch anything. :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hmmm, quite ironically it happened again today, right after I posted! I start up, and everything works fine. A few minutes later I stop at the gas station and put in a few gallons. Start back up and, voila! No CD, and no iPod. Pushing the CD button does nothing. If I put a CD in the player while listening to FM, the sound will mute for a few seconds, then resume playing FM....

I tried everything, turning the radio on and off repeatedly. I pulled into a parking lot and tried turning my ignition on and off several times. I tried different CDs. I even tried bashing the radio with my fist in a fit of rage. lol So I was forced to listen to crappy FM radio for the entire 1 hour long drive. Then after a short 2 hour meeting I get back in, start the car up and BAM! everything works fine...

I think this is gonna be one of thos typical electrical gremlins. :(

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds very different than the problem I was having (kinda in reverse). I'd pull the head unit and check the connections, maybe one of the cables is loose or one of the pins is getting pushed out of the connector.

·
Registered
310 Posts
[quote author=Cougar_333 link=topic=68721.msg1189674#msg1189674 date=1170777629]
Ive had similiar issues, I have the Audio Link iPod adapter. Its only done it twice and only during very cold weather. When I start the car, it refuses to even try to play a CD, and its like the radio disables the CD function so I cant even listen to my iPod. I try everything, taking the cd out, trying different cd's but the damn thing will not respond. Only the FM/AM works. Then the next time I go to start my car everything works fine...

I think it might be something to do with some sorta fail-safe on the head unit that has to do with inclement weather.
[/quote]

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! YOU DESCRIBED MY PROBLEM IN DETAIL!!
sorry about the caps. I'm annoyed, I seriously thought it was an issue. That happens to me too! in fact, it happened again tonight. All of the buttons work, except the CD function, the unit will display the track and the time it's at, but it's like you have it paused, it won't play music no matter what I press. AM FM works fine as do all buttons. Just not the CD spinning and making music.

·
Registered
310 Posts
[quote author=Cougar_333 link=topic=68721.msg1190427#msg1190427 date=1170798200]
Hmmm, quite ironically it happened again today, right after I posted! I start up, and everything works fine. A few minutes later I stop at the gas station and put in a few gallons. Start back up and, voila! No CD, and no iPod. Pushing the CD button does nothing. If I put a CD in the player while listening to FM, the sound will mute for a few seconds, then resume playing FM....

I tried everything, turning the radio on and off repeatedly. I pulled into a parking lot and tried turning my ignition on and off several times. I tried different CDs. I even tried bashing the radio with my fist in a fit of rage. lol So I was forced to listen to crappy FM radio for the entire 1 hour long drive. Then after a short 2 hour meeting I get back in, start the car up and BAM! everything works fine...

I think this is gonna be one of thos typical electrical gremlins. :(
[/quote]

Your posts are creeping me out.
I left tonight to go out to my local 24hr. bowling alley. Music playing nice and loud as I get there. 25 minutes later I hop back in my car, turn it on, and the CD player just sits there and won't play. I press fast forward, rewind, all the buttons work but won't function.

Annoyed from listening FM radio I pull into a random dark parking lot. Turn the car off, on. Repeatedly push the power button, I hit the deck and the top of the dask, NOTHING.

Tomorrow it's going to work.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Interesting, I dont even get track and time, its just blank. The CD player is just not there anymore, and with out being able to use the CD button, I cant use my iPod or my Sirius radio. It gets pretty quiet in my car, aside for the occasional curse, and the sound of me helplessly pounding the CD button hoping it will start working. It always seems to happen at the worst times, its completely random.. :(

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
If you were to unplug your audio input method does the CD player still not work? If it starts working then the fault is that of your input. If it still won't work then the fault is with the stereo. In that case I would remove the input and take it to the dealer. If you can reproduce the problem they'll probably replace the HU under warranty.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yeah my issue is completely random. I can't point out what features I had on that may have caused a glitch as such because it's happened in the morning, at night, daytime...

I also do not have an iPod jack or input nor have I paid for Sirius.

And for what it's worth, i've had this problem on occasion, and on a different issue (head unit losing time randomly) i've just recently gotten the display unit changed. They said there was abulletin up for the unit.

After the unit change, i still continue to have the frozen CD issue. I believe it's safe to say it has nothing to do with the display unit. At least in my case...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts