Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in an accident Monday... insurance called yesterday to make it official, my car is totaled. :(

It happened near by my work, I had 3 coworkers in the car with me. We were on our way out to lunch and had stopped at a stop sign of a T intersection, I was on the "dead end" side, attempting to turn left. There was a blind hill that direction, and they had no sign or light.

I had looked left many times, right many times... we were waiting for a break in traffic. Well, someone came flying over the hill at just the wrong moment after I had pulled out and T-boned us, I didn't see them coming until it was too late. Impact was her front left bumper lining up with my rear driver's side door.

They hit us pretty hard, hard enough that we spun 180 degrees into the ditch, and only stopped spinning because my rear passenger side hit a tree. Even that impact was enough to do structural damage.

And since I had a sign and they didn't, the cop cited me for improper left turn. He didn't cite her for speeding, even tho that was painfully obvious to everyone involved. In fact, the cop never even asked for our side of the story... he just walked over, and gave me a ticket. When I asked if she got one for speeding he said "How do I know she was speeding?"... wtf! She had some time to brake too, not tons of time, but some. And the speed limit is only 40 there, I think with a half second to a second's time of braking from 40mph, there's no way you'd throw the car that hard into a spin.

I'm pretty bummed out... I loved this car, and hope I can replace it with another one, but I expect I'm going to be taking a huge hit financially due to this (not sure I had gap insurance), plus the raised insurance rates too. So I guess the next few weeks will have to tell on whether or not I can afford to get back into one.

But in the end, it could have been a lot worse... she nailed us pretty hard, and we all walked away with no injuries other than being rather sore and stiff, even the guy (rear driver) that apparently didn't have his seat belt on. So I guess from that standpoint, I'm pleased with the turnout... but yeah :(

Anyways, here's a few pics...

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
omg that really sucks!!!! as long as your ok that is all that matters. I hope you can manage to get another speed as well, its no fun going to anything different im sure. Are they going to let you part out the car? If the spoiler isnt damaged I would love to buy it off you, you could use that money to get yourself more into a new or used speed. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you and lemme know. :ally:

·
Registered
27,077 Posts
OMG, that sucks! Good to hear everyone is ok. After my very minor injuries when I totaled mine, and the lack of injuries throughout the forum, I'd have to say the 3 is a very safe car to own. Hopefully you can get another speed, and stay in the family

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
I have to agree with ito, the more accidents especially roll overs and the little injuries that come out of them make me feel beyond safe in my car. Even though its only a sport and has front air bags, I still feel secure.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=Phantom3 link=topic=137626.msg2967246#msg2967246 date=1235847521]
omg that really sucks!!!! as long as your ok that is all that matters. I hope you can manage to get another speed as well, its no fun going to anything different im sure. Are they going to let you part out the car? If the spoiler isnt damaged I would love to buy it off you, you could use that money to get yourself more into a new or used speed. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you and lemme know. :ally:
[/quote]

Well, insurance is selling it... but they are allowing me to remove anything aftermarket if I still have the originals... so I'll be pulling off my wheels, eyelids, pedals, air intake, etc. I also need to unmarry my AP, I hope the car battery isn't dead... but I have a feeling it will be. The door will have been sitting open (it wouldn't close back) for almost a week by then =\

I'll ask insurance what it would cost to buy the full rights, but I'm not sure I want the hassle right now. If your brother/sister died and you were a surgeon, would you want to remove their donated organs? :(

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=Phantom3 link=topic=137626.msg2967252#msg2967252 date=1235847844]
I have to agree with ito, the more accidents especially roll overs and the little injuries that come out of them make me feel beyond safe in my car. Even though its only a sport and has front air bags, I still feel secure.
[/quote]

Well, imho the side airbags are what saved my ass... otherwise I suspect I would have broken a window with my head :shock:

But yes, I was really impressed with the value in my car before the accident. I'm really impressed with the safety afterward... put the two together and it's all win. Even if I can't afford a new ms3, I suspect I'd at least end up in a similar 3s.

·
Registered
760 Posts
[quote author=tgrey link=topic=137626.msg2967257#msg2967257 date=1235848142]
[/quote]

Well, insurance is selling it... but they are allowing me to remove anything aftermarket if I still have the originals... so I'll be pulling off my wheels, eyelids, pedals, air intake, etc. I also need to unmarry my AP, I hope the car battery isn't dead... but I have a feeling it will be. The door will have been sitting open (it wouldn't close back) for almost a week by then =\

I'll ask insurance what it would cost to buy the full rights, but I'm not sure I want the hassle right now. If your brother/sister died and you were a surgeon, would you want to remove their donated organs? :(
[/quote]if they were donated ofcouse u got to remove them or how else are you going to have use of them? besides it will help others in need of it

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote author=machr85 link=topic=137626.msg2967268#msg2967268 date=1235848517]
[quote author=tgrey link=topic=137626.msg2967257#msg2967257 date=1235848142]
[/quote]

[/quote]if they were donated ofcouse u got to remove them or how else are you going to have use of them? besides it will help others in need of it
[/quote]

No, I mean would you want to be the surgeon on the operating table cutting them apart... :p

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=Phantom3 link=topic=137626.msg2967252#msg2967252 date=1235847844]
[/quote]

Incidentally if you're properly restrained rollover collisions tend to be the best to get into as far as injuries go. With a rollover there's no kinetic energy being expended directly into the passenger compartment, just bled off around the outside of the car. Less energy transfer into the car means less energy transferred into you.

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
wow im real sorry to hear about your car :(
im glad to know that you and your passengers were able to walk away without a scratch

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sorry to see what happened to your car. I know what that can do to your insurance rates too.

Is that the grim reaper in the first picture? Maybe he's after your wheels?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Oh no, the Grim Reaper has come to get your car:

[quote author=tgrey link=topic=137626.msg2967241#msg2967241 date=1235847313]

[/quote]

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
does your insurance reimburse you for mods if the car is totalled? usaa told me they will cover whatever i have a receipt (invoice) for

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[quote author=HitIt link=topic=137626.msg2973276#msg2973276 date=1236098538]
Oh no, the Grim Reaper has come to get your car:

[quote author=tgrey link=topic=137626.msg2967241#msg2967241 date=1235847313]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Hahaha... no, that's my girlfriend. She'll be amused that you mistook her for the grim reaper tho :lol:

I did pull 3 of the 4 wheels off, one was damaged pretty bad, so I left it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[quote author=T-time link=topic=137626.msg2973281#msg2973281 date=1236098618]
does your insurance reimburse you for mods if the car is totalled? usaa told me they will cover whatever i have a receipt (invoice) for
[/quote]

It really depends. I used to have "customization coverage" or something like that on my last car... that way mods were covered. I didn't have it this time. They let me take off any mods that I had the originals for... which was everything :p

So I pulled:
3 wheels
Cobb SF Intake
Cobb shifter weight
Unmarried the AP
sok07 brake and clutch (wasn't gonna spend the time fighting with the gas pedal, tho i'll miss it... MUST REPLACE!)
eyelids (1 now has a small crack from being pulled off too hasty)
window vents (again, one cracked completely in half)
the wide angle blue side mirrors
valentine1 rear-view mirror mount

I left:
medieval rear motor mount :(
solid shifter bushings
one damaged wheel
sok07 gas pedal :(

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I would have grabbed some extra parts, if you know what I mean ;)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[quote author=speedfreak89 link=topic=137626.msg2973372#msg2973372 date=1236101614]
I would have grabbed some extra parts, if you know what I mean ;)
[/quote]

Honestly, I was happy to get what I got. If they saw anything missing I'd be criminally responsible at that point. They had a list from my insurance company at the junkyard of what I planned to take. They also don't let you on the lot, they forklift the car over to you :shock:

So I was sitting in front of their office pulling parts...

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
sooo sad good luck on getting another speed... did you have full coverage? after market stuff is covered by my comprehensive

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
[quote author=tgrey link=topic=137626.msg2973344#msg2973344 date=1236100607]

Hahaha... no, that's my girlfriend. She'll be amused that you mistook her for the grim reaper tho :lol:

[/quote]

Yeah, lol in my experiences chicks love being mistook for the grim reaper! Sucks about your car bro, looked nice.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Forgot to update over here... as of Saturday, I'm in a new 09 ms3, metro grey. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts