Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rather sad at the times it ran in the 1/4 mile last night. It was around 40 degrees Farenheit, track was slick. It was fun though.

15.0 at 95mph

It ran that both times I went down the track and same trap speeds both time as well. Guess this would be a good bracket car.

I am sure I can improve on the times. The car has the resinators cut out and one cat cut out with the stock muffler.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Do you have the slip? Just post the numbers.

Anyway that's a bad run for sure. You should be able to easily shave almost a second of that time. My guess is you spun first and second excessively. Better luck next time.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i've never ran mine yet...but u know how to drive if u got a 9/10 sec dsm that's a front driver too...maybe just need more seat time?

just hope im not expecting too much outta her. multiple people posted 14.0-13.9 vids. just hope it's a seat time/traction get used to type issue.

u being in AZ i'd pretty guess close to sea level...so elevation not much of an issue

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
consistency in drag racing is great - so good job with that. times will improve - but consistency is key :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
The launch is easily the most important part of drag racing. I am *terrible* at launching...so I'm not going to give you any tips on that. However, a buddy of mine was able to consistantly beat my times in my car because he has a better launch than me. Also remember, while it's fun to spin the tires in second gear, that costs you speed. Try to reign that impulse in, hehe.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
did you turn the traction control off? im sure you did but i had to ask anyways.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[quote author=Saitech link=topic=70448.msg1231451#msg1231451 date=1172437603]
40 degrees with these tires. Hmm...probably cause?
[/quote]

That definitely has alot to do with it. They are stock and have recommended pressure as well. I did not let any air out of them.

[quote author=Betelgeuse link=topic=70448.msg1231443#msg1231443 date=1172437314]
Do you have the slip? Just post the numbers.

Anyway that's a bad run for sure. You should be able to easily shave almost a second of that time. My guess is you spun first and second excessively. Better luck next time.
[/quote]

Yeah, I know that the tires were spinning in 1st, 2nd, and a tad in 3rd. Traction control was on for the first pass and off for the second pass. The car ran the same both times.

[quote author=sp33dy GT link=topic=70448.msg1231476#msg1231476 date=1172438820]
i've never ran mine yet...but u know how to drive if u got a 9/10 sec dsm that's a front driver too...maybe just need more seat time?

just hope im not expecting too much outta her. multiple people posted 14.0-13.9 vids. just hope it's a seat time/traction get used to type issue.

u being in AZ i'd pretty guess close to sea level...so elevation not much of an issue
[/quote]

I probably do need more seat time, but I don't think that I can get 1 second off those times, maybe .5 for weather and tires.
Again the car is STOCK, so with that XEDE system and some tuning I am sure it could go faster.

[quote author=C-Bass link=topic=70448.msg1231651#msg1231651 date=1172443808]
The launch is easily the most important part of drag racing. I am *terrible* at launching...so I'm not going to give you any tips on that. However, a buddy of mine was able to consistantly beat my times in my car because he has a better launch than me. Also remember, while it's fun to spin the tires in second gear, that costs you speed. Try to reign that impulse in, hehe.
[/quote]

I have a 10sec Eclipse that is FWD, I have lots of practice launching, but this is different. I am acustomed to slicks and launching at 6500rpm's with a stiff clutch. This one seems kinda mushy to me. I think that they need better clutches and ditch the heavy dual mass flywheel.

[quote author=Betelgeuse link=topic=70448.msg1231652#msg1231652 date=1172443848]
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=69540.30

I remember you having some issues with your car. Did you get them resolved?

It might be a good idea to dyno it to make sure everything's ok. 15 seems pretty high for this car, especially from someone who's had some track experience.
[/quote]

Yeah, they are going to replace the turbo, but still. I think that people are expecting a faster time than is actually possible. The car is more for highway, it is sure geared that way. That variable of limiting the boost in the first two gears really kills the car. If I had the boost in 1st and 2nd then I could see a mid to high 13 second pass.

[quote author=jflash link=topic=70448.msg1231850#msg1231850 date=1172451640]
did you turn the traction control off? im sure you did but i had to ask anyways.
[/quote]

One pass I left it on and the second one I turned it off. It still ran close to the same time both passes.

Pass #1
2.41 60'
15.071 at 95.614mph

Pass #2
2.54 60'
15.076 at 95.642mph

Makes a damn good bracket car :)

I know the the 60' times can get better with better tires.
The track was cold, the tires were cold, and after the pass I checked the i/c and it was pretty warm too.

Don't get me wrong, this is definitely a fun car to drive, but I just wish it was faster in the 1/4 mile. I was expecting a mid to low 14sec pass. Boy was I disappointed...

Anybody else ran theirs yet in the 1/4?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
the drag strip around here doesnt open for another month. :(

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Well we've all seen a 13.9 (3 times consistently) at the track and the mags were pulling off low 14s so there's no doubt the car can do it. Your 60 foot times prove you were just spinning and going nowhere. So more boost in 1st or 2nd would've only made it worse. If you launched at anything above 3k and didn't slip the clutch a lot, all you'd get is spin.

Don't get me wrong, this is definitely a fun car to drive, but I just wish it was faster in the 1/4 mile. I was expecting a mid to low 14sec pass. Boy was I disappointed...
You can't really blame the car for that. You need more time behind the wheel.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
damn...i can run a high 15 low 16.

·
Registered
143 Posts
also the trap speed does not symbolize the power that it should be making....lets hope its on ur turbo situation.

i'd imagine u have easy access to a dyno..i know it's not ur primary 'race' vehilce but if mine ran a 15 i'd toss it on just to see what it'd do. then get rid of it if it couldnt do any better ;)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Your 60 foots are much higher than what should be capable, so that is definitely an area to improve. But I'm not so much more concerned with the e.t. than I am the trap. A 95/96 mph just seems a bit lower than what I'm expecting, especially for 40 degree weather.

How was your shifting? At what rpm points did you shift for each gear? Would you say you were shifting aggresively or being lighter on the clutch?

At what rpm were you launching?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
stock tire pressure and 40 deg. how could he possilbly get traction under those conditions. they are summer only tires.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
i think it was 40 Celsius?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
quit hitting the bong pipe and read the first post again. :smokin: lol!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[quote author=Betelgeuse link=topic=70448.msg1232376#msg1232376 date=1172465182]
Well we've all seen a 13.9 (3 times consistently) at the track and the mags were pulling off low 14s so there's no doubt the car can do it. Your 60 foot times prove you were just spinning and going nowhere. So more boost in 1st or 2nd would've only made it worse. If you launched at anything above 3k and didn't slip the clutch a lot, all you'd get is spin.

You can't really blame the car for that. You need more time behind the wheel.
[/quote]

I am not saying I am perfect, but I do need to go more often.
I slipped the clutch a little on the initial launch, then the tires just started spinning and the DSC kicked in on the first pass. The second pass I did the same thing without the DSC on and it ran exactly the same times.

[quote author=Focused link=topic=70448.msg1232396#msg1232396 date=1172465693]
Your 60 foots are much higher than what should be capable, so that is definitely an area to improve. But I'm not so much more concerned with the e.t. than I am the trap. A 95/96 mph just seems a bit lower than what I'm expecting, especially for 40 degree weather.

How was your shifting? At what rpm points did you shift for each gear? Would you say you were shifting aggresively or being lighter on the clutch?

At what rpm were you launching?
[/quote]

What should the car be trapping? Under the wheelspin on the second pass I thought for sure it was a faster pass. The traps should have been higher with the initital wheelspin, but they were not.

I shifted around 6k rpm's and I was shifting aggressively. I have no mercy when it comes to shifting. No pussyfooting here. I also was expecting a little higer traps even with the wheelspin.
I do think I have a boost leak somewhere because I can hear some noise when the turbo spools and gets boost.

[quote author=sp33dy GT link=topic=70448.msg1232387#msg1232387 date=1172465512]
also the trap speed does not symbolize the power that it should be making....lets hope its on ur turbo situation.

i'd imagine u have easy access to a dyno..i know it's not ur primary 'race' vehilce but if mine ran a 15 i'd toss it on just to see what it'd do. then get rid of it if it couldnt do any better ;)

[/quote]

I can get it on a dyno but prefer not to waste the money. I hope it is the turbo situation. It just does not add up to me. The car does not smoke under WOT or under any throttle position, only when you run it hard and let it idle then it starts to smoke.
I have a feeling that the turbo is not the problem but the dealer wants to replace it so I will not argue with them. I just hope that it will solve the problem.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Better 60' and perhaps no heat soak, would have gotten you into the lower 14s and closer to 100mph traps.

I think to deal with the heat soak issue during 1/4mile runs, people are going to have to start doing what Jarod in AUS did. Run with a mesh bag full of dry ice on the IC. I can only imagine how high the temp climbs on that thing while sitting in line to run.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts