Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pics of my car, more updates to come :smokinamd:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I decided to take a chance with the cloudy skies and installed the rear mud flaps. When I had first held the mud flaps next to the holes in the rear wheel well, I thought they were going to be a perfect match, bit it turns out the dont match up like the front ones did. I had to take the whole bumper out so i could get a good look at the rivets and figure out how I was going to handle them. Fortunately, the material is soft and I could rip them apart with some pliers.

Rivets ripped apart.

Rivets removed.
[

Heres how the mudflaps match up with the holes already there. Theres a lip on the edge that goes up against the bottom of the bumper that keeps it from sitting flsuh. I think the best fit would be with the lip shaved off and mounting with the bottom hole and drilling a new hole in the mudflap for the top hole. I didnt want to shave off the lip today so I just used the top hole and made a new hole to match the bottom hole on the bumper.

Here are some shots and how the mudflaps came out. I used some 10-32 screws and nuts to hold everything together. The 10-32 screws are a little bigger than the hole and will thread the plastic pieces when you screw it in but its not enough to hold the screw in. They look little funky if you get down and take a good look at them, but it will do for now. When I decide I want to shave the lip off the mudflaps I wont have to take the bumper out.

I dropped a nut inside the body, so I got a little magnetic piece from my sons magnetix toy and taped it to a plastic rod to fish around.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some more cheap ebay buys: "JDM" window visors. These make more wind noise, i can hear them with the window rolled up. I may get the expensive ones in the future, I hope those dont have the wind noise. Also some mudflaps from China. I was expecting to have to modify these a lot to get them to fit, but they actually fit perfectly. I have installed the front ones, but I couldnt do the rear ones because of the rivets in the wheel well. Im going to try and tackle those this weekend if it stops raining.

First mod: smoked head and tail lights. Cheap vinyl ones off ebay, I wanted to see how they looked before I did something more expensive. These were cut very poorly and fit poorly also. I might have been able to make them fit better. Got taken off and not returned, by the dealer or installer when I took my car in to get the backordered remote start installed. I like the look a lot and will be getting some better ones in the near future

A few pics of my car a couple days after picking it up. First time I got to see it in daylight.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nice color..

DITCH THE EBAY VISORS AND GET THE JDM ONES!

oh yeah and take off the door guards

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will probably end up getting the JDM guards. These ones will do for now, theres other things that I want more than the visors for $150.
I thought a little bit about removing the door guards. I probably wont bother unless I shave my doors. I would like to shave the doors, the antenna and some of the emblems.
The first major thing i want to get is a good GPS system that looks clean. I havent found the perfect one for me yet.

·
Registered
461 Posts
[quote author=logik816 link=topic=135573.msg2919258#msg2919258 date=1233998205]
i'm diggin' the metro grey as well. and yes, the rain in cali sux. been pouring for the last two days.
[/quote]
Yeah wtf is this.
I almost hydrolocked on the freeway, scared me halfway to hell.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Wow that metro grey is pretty nice!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Congrats. The mudflaps looks good and I am sure it will look better after the modification. The Garmin GPS are pretty good and the price is quite reasonable... but if you want the in dash ones, it will cost quite a bit more.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Great color choice!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts