Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
That's a lot of work! thanks for posting your site link. It has a lot of information and ideas that I can use. hehe

·
Registered
914 Posts
badass

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote author=wtbM3Hatch link=topic=66075.msg1132860#msg1132860 date=1167933233]
ugh...damn man. any chance I can pay you to fabricate me a faceplate like that? :) purty please !!

[/quote]

The faceplate was a major P.I.T.A. - lots of bondo-sand-bondo-sand etc. Next time, I think I will just shell out the cash for an in-dash touchscreen, and dump the HU all together :)

Thanks you the feedback.

·
Registered
108 Posts
yeh...I'm trying to figure out a faceplate for that ashtray location. really like your setup, though I'd probably just put a DVD in there.

ugh...folks need to manufacture a double-din or something. coming from a Z, I'm totally spoiled :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nice job. been considering doing the same thing, but kinda low on funds, so not sure. Just curious, what is that keypad next to your shifter. It looks different than the standard navigation controls, so i am a little thrown off.

But great work!!

NM, saw that it was a custom keypad. Very nice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey timekiller... this is a nice setup.

I am right in the midst of getting my carputer going. Though mine will definitely be a bit different setup. Plus I am going to be going with the OS X route. ;-) I am a Mac Addict.

But I am always thrilled to see other Mazda3 setups.... very inspiring. Well done! I'll let you know when I get mine done too.

:.:: stansell

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Badass-i was gonna ask you about the screen visibility but i read on the bottom of the page you're saving for the transflective display. I definitely wanna hold off on doing mine until i can either afford that (which to me seems like a huge ripoff) or find something else suitable ( i have seen other transflective 7" displays but have trouble getting in touch with the companies). How is the touchscreen down low like that? Ideally what I want to do is put the display in the stock HU location with a double din dash kit and put my eclipse hu directly underneath (which would require dropping the hvac controls a bit). I've looked at it a few times and it seems as though it's plausible but we'll see...

·
Registered
611 Posts
nice man. VERY nice. I especially like that you found an amp-like casing. This is definately a project that i'd like to get into eventually but it's simply not plausible for my near future. Bookmarking your page though, and i'll be interested to follow your progress with the system :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
You said you retained the steering wheel controls? Is this because you kept the stock head unit? That is the main speedbump in my carpc at the moment, because i dont want to give up those controls. My current thoughts (thanks to the advice from these forums, Krstofer specifically) is to hook up the SWI-X adapter to my steering controls, because it has an InfraRed output. Then a simple IR usb reciever, and i should be good. just need to make sure before i spend the cash...

I really like your set up, and its given me a couple more ideas for mine. but i really want to get a double dim dash kit and stick the lcd (also looking at the $251 one) where the current HU is.

also, im bouncing between using a macmini (which i might be getting free from family) or building a PC. as i have no linux exp, i dont know if that is the route i should go, but you have some pritty detailed directions, so i might go that way after all. otherwise, i was going with windows, due to the software capabilities, and would use itunes for the music player. /shrug

anyway, booked your site so i can reference later.

oh, Wanna make me a dash kit? lol. i love how yours looks, but i have no bondo/plexiglass experience...

·
Registered
611 Posts
chierin - don't let the fact that your unexperienced in linux steer you away from it. Its FAR more stable than windows, which to me, is of key importance in a carpc application. Once you get gentoo setup, its actually rather easy to use and you get used to it pretty quickly. Although, as he mentioned- it can be a complete PITA getting gentoo to recognize / operate varius components sometimes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
haha. stability is deff an issue, esspecially with all the logging on and logging off. As for compatability, this might be a stupid question, but is there a way to make itunes play in lenux? i have a lot of music (my 80 gig ipod is full...and no videos either...) and my itunes library has it all devided up into many many different playlists...i dont want to have to spend weeks making new play lists for the car...And though i havent prodded too much, i dont believe the playlist files in itunes are easy to manipulate to work with a different program.

As i was just driving home from dinner, i was playing with the idea of keeping the stock head unit in the car. obviously, not where it currently is, and not for any real purpose, either, other than an easy way to keep the steering wheel functions for master volume... buying the wires for extending the ones going into the head unit so i can stick it in the trunk makes for much much cheeper controls than the whole, infrared deal. and, this allows me to keep the stock radio, which i currently love the reception i can get in my car.

since I only listen to 4 radio stations anyway (the two rock stations in Orlando, Fl where I go to school, and the two rock stations back home in West Palm Beach, Fl) i can leave them all on presets and just use the steeringwheel controls to switch between radio stations...i just hope no one else wants to change the station...

This weekend I am soldering in a switch and AUX input onto the stock HU, as seen here (http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=35453.0) for my current Ipod set up. When i upgrade to the carpc, I can still use this set up and just run the other end of the audio cable into the computer. Then, using the switch which i plan to place on the switch panel to the left of the driver seat, I can tell the head unit to either play audio from the computer, or from the radio.

Im getting excited! Thank you time killer for the Awsome ideas you have given me for modifying my plans!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts