Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2007 Mazda 3 recently. Sometimes when I stop at a longer red light, the car "trembles." I went back for a service appointment, and a technician drove around with me and told me that it was normal. He said that the "trembling" was due to the AC kicking the engine to a higher level, and that this was because Mazda 3s do not have a continuously running AC system.

Is this thing about the AC really true? I have driven many other cars and this had never happened before. It makes no sense as the little "tremble" is not comfortable at all to the driver and passengers in the car.

Has anyone else have the same experience with their 3s "tremble" or "shake" a bit when they stop at a red light? I wonder if the dealership just didn't want to/didn't know how to deal with this problem and was taking advantage of me.

Thanks for any comments!

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
uh thats never happened to me, sometimes the car will make a weird tremble when braking on a wet hill (going down), but i would assume its just because it cant get a good grip, especially since my tires are almost done.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
ATX or MTX?

could be a bad motor/tranny mount.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
My car trembles for a brief moment almost every time i downshift the ATX from 2nd to 1st gear (when i'm stopping of course).
And i usually don't run my AC when i drive.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
why the heck would you downshift [albeit an ATX] from 2 to 1 to a stop?

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
going from 2nd gear to first gear can hurt your transmission i think cause engine breaking isnt good at high speeds and well, any speed above maybe 15 is high for 1st gear i would think.

and i dont think any car should tremble when coming to a stop. in the broad picture, all cars should do the same. start, go, stop, and turn off. without any trembles or shakings.

Do you got that automatic AC stuff? forgot what it was called? But that shouldnt even matter.
cars that tremble are like 1969 chargers with 500hp like on 2fast 2furious. or whatever the old cars on that movie were. haha.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a ATX. The trembling happens when the car is stopping with the engine running. Is it true that the AC system doesn't continuously run on Mazda3? That's the explanation I got from Mazda's service technician -- that when the AC starts again, the engine needs to run at a higher level, therefore the little "shake." Any suggestions on how I can get this problem better checked?

·
Registered
62 Posts
the AC part is true.. i dont know if it is the cause of the 'trembling' that you are referring to though.

the AC turns on and off and you can actually hear/feel the compressor kick in and out (a slight vibration). its like one of those old refrigerators having cycles.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
[quote author=thebeansoldier link=topic=65476.msg1121647#msg1121647 date=1167208692]
why the heck would you downshift [albeit an ATX] from 2 to 1 to a stop?
[/quote]

ummmm why wouldn't i, if it is below 15? It wont let you do it until you're going slow enough, duh.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
If you are in manumatic mode and braking to decellerate, then the AUTO 5spd will downshift from 3 to 1.

Your 5sp atx has to be below 20mph to safely shift from 2nd to 1st. (from the manual)

I also think that if we are going 5-10mph in 2nd gear in auto mode and we stomp on the gas, our 5sp ATX will downshift to 1st, but if we are going 20mph, then it's going to stay in 2nd.

So maybe if I was in a stock mazda3 in 2nd gear rolling at 5mph in manumatic mode and wanted to race, I'd manually downshift to 1st. :)

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
lets not do that 2nd > 1st gear conversation in his thread.

nightflyer, you could email or even call Mazda directly to see if they have an explanation for it.
I never notice a trembling in my 2006 mazda3. unless i put it in reverse, then it wants to go but i gotta hold the brake a little harder. but nope i cant even recall a time at a stoplight where my car would tremble with the AC on.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
the "trembling" is normal when you have the A/C on and waiting for the light to turn green. it cycles every 8-10 secs depending on what year. That trembling should subside once your rear engine and tranny rubber mount break-in (I'm assuming you got it brand new, so the rubber's still stiff) and you're feeling it in the cabin. Try noticing it after a month or 2 or after several rounds of spirited driving... it should be just about gone.

there's a difference between trembling just before you come to a complete stop or trembling while you're at a complete stop. I think some people are thinking that the trembling's happening just before you come to a complete stop. I read your initlal post and came to my conclusion.

pls update your location in your profile.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your reply. I will see how the car feels after breaking it in more. So far I've only gone between home and school, so I guess some cruising is in order. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
this was something that worried me when i first got my 3. I thought at first that it was the AC unit, but even when i didn't have the AC running it would sorta tremble or whatever.

i never had any problems with it though. it just simply went away as time passed and the engine was broken in some more.

dunno what it was and obviously it wasn't bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i just got an 07 atx for my wife and it does the same thing, i thought maybe the tires were out of balance. Glad to know it should go away

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same problem with my 07 ATX, even without the AC running. If I shift it up to N at the light, the trembles go away.

It feels as if the engine doesn't idle enough at a light & wants to go, but the brakes are holding it back.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Could be for '07 Mazda firmed up the mounts a little. (speculation) My '04 3 is ok, but my wife's '05 6i will flat rattle your teeth with the a/c on and in gear sitting still. Just an annoying trait of a big 'ol 4 cylinder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts