Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I got into my first official car incident today (I was in a non-official type car incident before). I was parked and a car backed into me. There are scratches in various places in the driver's side rear of the car.

The officers said that there is not enough damage so I should basically get some estimates and let the person who hit me pay for it. If he does not, then I should call me insurance.

The officer also said that he estimated the damage to be less than $1000.

I am just lost right now.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
sometimes it benefits both parties to keep things private (to avoid ins. rate increases) but if you have any doubt that the person will pay, I would report it immediately. Did you get the driver's insurance and license information?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=John_in_the_LBC link=topic=135226.msg2910456#msg2910456 date=1233711223]
sometimes it benefits both parties to keep things private (to avoid ins. rate increases) but if you have any doubt that the person will pay, I would report it immediately. Did you get the driver's insurance and license information?

[/quote]

Unfortunately, I got his phone number and the license plate number. Is there a way I can get his insurance information that way if need be?

Hopefully, the body repair process will be smooth. How are your experiences?

Thanks.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
You can leave all that to your insurance company if you have to contact them to resolve this.
name, driver's license and insurance policy # is usually the minimum to ask for in the event of an accident. I would give him a call to make sure the number works (you can call under the pretense of asking if he had a body shop he would like included in the estimates).
did the police give you a report to identify the party at fault?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well guys, the license plate number of the guy is noted and the police have a record. The guy has stated that he is at fault. Not sure if that helps.

Today, I went to get some estimates. The body shop associated with my Mazda dealership is owned by the same company, I believe. For fixing the scratches in the bumper, they are charging $730. It is scratched in lines in about 4 different locations within a feet of each other. In my opinion, that is a bit high, so I've decided to check out another body shop.

Also, for a separate case, I've got a little crease dent in my front bumper and the body shop estimated $630 for it.

All I can say is wow.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had a massive dent and kink in my front bumper from hitting a cement parking structure thing, the paint was scratched badly and the plastic was mangled.

Although it was an awful dent, it never pierced or ripped open the bumper. So I just took a very hot hair dryer and warmed it up probably to about 120 degrees, and then pushed on it from the inside. The dents pushed right back out, and after a day or two it was completely back to the normal shape. It was awesome, i couldn't believe it worked that well lol.

Now I'm just gonna get the Maaco bumper paint special, $150 to restore it back to that nice factory shine. I tore past the paint and a little into the fiberglass or whatever the bumper is made up of. It was brutal I was so angry at myself auughh lol. Good luck brotha.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The car is under the mom's name of this guy who backed into me. I called the house and apparently she picked up and hung up when I told her the son's name. This is not good.

I have the other car's license plate number and have the incident on record with the police. I hope I don't have to call my insurance company, but if I do, will this be enough to be of any help?

Anyway, I got a second estimate and it was $646, about $85 cheaper than the other body shop. In fact, I will be happy to take $600 from them but so far, I don't have any indications that they'll cooperate.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sounds like you are definately gonna have to go through your insurance. I would try contacting the at fault party one more time, and be sure to mention you have a police report to back up your claim. If they don't respond to this and begin to cooperate, play hard ball. Thats what we pay the insurance companies big bucks for. Good Luck Bud.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I have left a message that I will contact my insurance if they don't cooperate, but I didn't mention anything about the police.

Should I wait until tomorrow for the guy and his mom to call me back? (That is, if they decide to)

Or should I just call my insurance company right now and avoid wasting time?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'd give them a day, then move forward

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I called the number, the lady says it is wrong number and just hangs up. I may assume she is the mother, but who knows. Basically, they are not going to cooperate.

I called my insurance company and they say they want the other person's insurance. That is a problem because I don't have that information. I only have the other person's license plate numbers.

I called the police department here to maybe try to get the information of the other guy but I just don't know.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
[quote author=espn2829 link=topic=135226.msg2919903#msg2919903 date=1234034883]
When I called the number, the lady says it is wrong number and just hangs up. I may assume she is the mother, but who knows. Basically, they are not going to cooperate.

I called my insurance company and they say they want the other person's insurance. That is a problem because I don't have that information. I only have the other person's license plate numbers.

I called the police department here to maybe try to get the information of the other guy but I just don't know.
[/quote]
if you cannot find out, just tell your insurance that they did not provide any and that the policeman on the scene did not provide you with that information (this is why you are supposed to get that immediately). If the driver had no proof of insurance, he should have been cited by the police and his car towed.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was actually his mom's car and it had valid insurance. The driver did not even have a license. Man, if I knew it, I would have definitely asked for the information. I thought it was all taken care of by the police but I do not know.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The police dont do squat for you other than write up a 2 minute report. The rest is up to you. If you provide your insurance agent with the at fault parties name, they will be able to track them down and straighten this all out. That is, afterall, why we pay big bucks for auto insurance premiums!!! Good luck Bud

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, I do have the other person's plate number. I don't have the name, except for the son, who does not insure this car. Will the plate number and police report be enough?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yes, the car owners insurance (not the kid driving) will be on the hook for this.

·
Registered
190 Posts
[quote author=John_in_the_LBC link=topic=135226.msg2919918#msg2919918 date=1234035393]
[quote author=espn2829 link=topic=135226.msg2919903#msg2919903 date=1234034883]

[/quote]
if you cannot find out, just tell your insurance that they did not provide any and that the policeman on the scene did not provide you with that information (this is why you are supposed to get that immediately). If the driver had no proof of insurance, he should have been cited by the police and his car towed.
[/quote]

All great things..if they were actually enforced. I got screwed when hit on private property, driver had no license yet the vehicle was insured by his mom. Insurance ended up not covering squat so I had to take them to small claims were they still shafted me over half the money involved.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts