Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have no idea why its doing this (this is my first mazda).

any ideas as to why? it drives fine and doesnt seem to be affecting it but what do i know? LOL

thanks
daniela :)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
By shivering I'm guessing you mean vibrating? How old is the car, how many miles are on it? Does it do this warm or cold?

Could be a motor mount, but without more information I wouldn't hazard any more guesses.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I remember this. I think my engine did/does the same. It idles really smooth, but every 5 secs you'll feel a little "shiver" in the engines normal vibration. I didn't think much about it, but could be plugs??? I changed mine recently, but didn't think to check it for the "shiver".

·
Registered
286 Posts
Try resetting the ECU by taking off the negative battery terminal after you pump the brakes ~15 times.
Or ground the Throttle body, or install a Grounding Kit / Buddy Club Condenser.

Watch your RPMs... does the the engine "shiver" as the RPM needle dips below 500 RPM?

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
[quote author=dlandon link=topic=134997.msg2904681#msg2904681 date=1233517516]
after you pump the brakes ~15 times.

[/quote]

WTF ? never heard this before, we have power brakes, no need to pump them.

What does it have to do with motor vibration ???

·
Registered
286 Posts
Pumping the brakes releases all the excess juice/energy/voltage, whatever you want to call it, through the brake lights.
It reduces the sparks that come flying off when you take the negative battery terminal off.

Compare if you like.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
[quote author=dlandon link=topic=134997.msg2904703#msg2904703 date=1233518278]
Pumping the brakes releases all the excess juice/energy/voltage, whatever you want to call it, through the brake lights.
It reduces the sparks that come flying off when you take the negative battery terminal off.

Compare if you like.
[/quote]

:dunno:

I have never had a spark come off when removing the negative terminal, only when it goes back on if you go to slow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sometimes it's the AC unit cycling, check if the AC is on and shut it off. Then see if it does it again. I believe even if it is off it will still cycle, but mazda does have an ECU fix if you talk to the dealer. It's nothing serious but it shouldn't do it, you're right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
if shivering means your RPM dropping at idle.....this is exactly my problem for a long long time!!! actually been writing in many posts before this one....

I had many things replaced (spark plugs, fuel pump, gas cap.....).....but then after replacing my purge valve solenoid, everything seem to go away, and it's been running great the last couple months!!

·
Registered
35,160 Posts
i get it as well. i idle at about 650-675rpm.

not really a big deal to me.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
[quote author=blam link=topic=134997.msg2926908#msg2926908 date=1234291409]

[/quote]

I'm with Blam, and never gave a sh*t. Now if it was bucking and hesitating under acceleration I would worry, but just sitting an idling, I wouldn't worry. I don't think any vehicle idles perfectly all the time. As long as my car starts, moves forwards and backwards, oil and check engine lights stay off, and the thermostat needle stays in the middle; then I feel my car is running as good as it should.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same issue. Im not worried about it right now, but im worried about it for resale down the road.

Has anyone found the "Fix" for this? I am going to try disconecting my negative terminal of my battery tomorow to see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
[quote author=blam link=topic=134997.msg2926908#msg2926908 date=1234291409]

[/quote]

·
Registered
286 Posts
[quote author=maxgod23 link=topic=134997.msg2926905#msg2926905 date=1234291310]
if shivering means your RPM dropping at idle.....this is exactly my problem for a long long time!!! actually been writing in many posts before this one....

I had many things replaced (spark plugs, fuel pump, gas cap.....).....but then after replacing my purge valve solenoid, everything seem to go away, and it's been running great the last couple months!!
[/quote]

what and where is that solenoid?

·
Registered
35,160 Posts
its about 100$.

and the RPMs don't actually plummet. you can't see it shiver in the tach.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
[quote author=gustavo link=topic=134997.msg2949270#msg2949270 date=1235108146]
[quote author=maxgod23 link=topic=134997.msg2926905#msg2926905 date=1234291310]

[/quote]

what and where is that solenoid?
[/quote]

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=127324.msg2930139#msg2930139

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm not claiming to know anything about this but my 04 sedan does the same thing and my friend told me it was the ac compressor. He is a bit of a bullshitter so I don't really have too much faith in that statement. Any thought on that?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
[quote author=yadigg117 link=topic=134997.msg3288634#msg3288634 date=1250789011]
I'm not claiming to know anything about this but my 04 sedan does the same thing and my friend told me it was the ac compressor. He is a bit of a bullshitter so I don't really have too much faith in that statement. Any thought on that?
[/quote]

If it does it when the A/C is off, then he's full of shit. Now, keep in mind that the A/C comes on if the defrost or footwell positions are selected on the Heater & A/C panel as well as when you have the A/C button on (Green LED). It's sneaky like that.

If all of those are switched off, then the compressor is not running. If the car is still shivering without the compressor, then it is obviously something else.

·
Registered
604 Posts
some say its the purging valve, it gets damaged when you top off when you fill up. i topped off the first couple fill ups, and i get the shiver too. doesnt bother me too much. i dont top off anymore

1 - 20 of 25 Posts